Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Stupid BT questions (and others) from Newbie

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Lmoney, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Lmoney

Lmoney New Member

I'm obviously a newbie. I just had a question about BT. I'm still trying to decide on Verizon or AT&T. I am looking into a BT phone although I don't necessarily need it at the moment.

Is it free to download files (ringtones, wallpaper, pictures, etc) onto your phone when you have BT? I'm just curious what the major advantages are to it.

I just returned my LG VX6100. I am trying to decide if I want Verizon or AT&T. I see a lot of negative stuff about Verizon and them hampering BT. I take it Cingular allows more freedom.

I live in the Seacoast area of NH (Portsmouth), but I travel to Boston and western NH (Concord, Claremont, Lebanon, etc). I'm not worried about my area and Boston as any service will be about the same, but it seems that Verizon is better suited for travel to western NH.

2. azcellphonejunkie

azcellphonejunkie The Cell Phone Junkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon, Sprint |Prior: Alltel, Nextel
    Unless you are uploading stuff you have on your PC to your phone via a data cable, you will be paying for the Verizon, Cingular or whoever's service to do so. There are some websites out there that will transfer things to your phone, but you may still get dinged data rates for the trasnfer from the provider.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I know with Cingular you can't tranfer ringtones and other items via Bluetooth, at least not yet. And with Verizon as you said disabling some features on there Bluetooth phone's I doubt you can as well.
    Most people as azcellphonejunkie said get a data cable & transfer them thru a PC, which also comes in handy if you get a replacment phone, since ringtones & such can't be transfered from 1 phone to another.

4. Lmoney

Lmoney New Member

Thanks,
    So it looks like I might have to go with Verizon based on the amount of coverage they offer. Now from what I understand bluetooth is just the wireless capabilities...so what is it that they disable and what is the "big deal".

I'm going to look into the data cable. And you say there are websites out there that allow you to download things for free? But you would still be paying for being online right? I'd probably get a package to go online so maybe that wouldn't matter so much.

I know the two that have answered are Cingular users so I don't expect you to be able to answer...but if you do that would be cool too.

5. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yes you can find the ringtones free, if you have a package plan for data then it would come out of the plan, most ringtones are small, from 10 to 50 or so KB's
    There is a thread here about the Verizon bluetooth & what's disabled, I believe it's in the Wireless News board, it's about a lawsuit against Verizon for disabling some features, I can't recall off hand what they disabled.

6. Critic

Critic The Digital Ruler

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    It's worth noting that, while VZW has disabled transfer of pictures, ringtones, etc. over Bluetooth on the V710, for the moment all of these filetypes can be transfered via the Transflash card, a $30 accessory available from any Best Buy store.

Fire14 - VZW disabled the OBEX profile, which allows, among other things, transfer of address book data.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Lmoney

Lmoney New Member

So what does "for the moment" mean? Does that mean I better get it now or else?

8. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    This is the thread they are referring to Bluetooth tread

9. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Thanks for the update Critic and thanks azcellphonejunkie for posting the link, I have been going nut's at work & didn't get a chance to post it.

10. Dm112084

Dm112084 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    What are you talking about? With my Cingular branded Nokia 3600 I can send ringtones and pictures back and forth for free via Bluetooth. I know you can do this with almost any other BT phone Cingular offers that supports it.

11. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    True most people do it through the data cable, but it is possible via bluetooth...

12. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Guess I will have to make sure my next phone has Bluetooth, so I can use this feature, I had heard you couldn't & since you 2 have informed me different, Then I as sorry for any mis-information I posted & thank you for the update on this.

13. whosurbud

whosurbud Junior Member

That's right, as long as 2 BT devices can talk to each other, you can zing stuff across the BT link no problem. Whether it be some ringtone, a picture or whatever. Some of it has to do with the phone, some have more flexibility than others. The Siemens S56 for example has BT, yet I find it tedious to send from one S56 to another. However, it will accept something from another phone, np, as long as it supports that file type. They will come across as messages with attachments. The Symbian phones are kind of fun in that regard as you can install whole applications this way. For example there are whole websites setup with the sole purpose of Symbian applications. Try a google search on Symbian and you'll see what I mean. A 30 dollar Bluetooth adapter for your PC's USB port can be used to "chat" with your BT capable phone.