Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Stop the NIMBYs

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by mendel, Dec 31, 2004.

1. mendel

mendel Junior Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 mendel, Dec 31, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2005
  2. gohabsgo

gohabsgo Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG enV3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless, ATT Wireless
    Right On!

If they passed out one of those silly flyers in my area, I'd be out there with you in a minute, The part where it says "we all" is really offensive - they are assuming that "everyone" feels the same way - and clearly they do not...

Your points in the response flyer are very good. Wonder how VZW service is up there - now that I know ATT/Cingular service is in need of improvement...

3. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    In my town, there are two (2) cell towers on the hill behind Wal Mart, which is 1/4th of a mile from my home. In fact, I can see the towers right from the back yard. One is Sprint, the other is Cingular (a former AT&T Wireless tower). AFAIK, there was no opposition to either of these towers going up and they have been up for the past several years.

Good luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

Re: Right On!

Placing Towers is a never ending work,
    the more Tower a carrier has the better the coverage.
    In the end the carrier w/ the most number of Towers
    will have the most/best coverage.

5. dallison

dallison Senior Member

great to see people fighting back with like signage

6. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

Not necessarily. Sprint/Nextel will have more towers than any other carrier. However, I don't think they'll beat Cingular or Verizon in coverage even after they combine.

7. Fullstrength

Fullstrength Junior Member

For some reason i think Verizon is always behind this, you know the old plan, dont let the enemy get stronger...

8. mendel

mendel Junior Member

I am rallying the troops!!!

"Hodges, Steve" <Steve.Hodges@cingular.com> wrote:
    Mendel - thank you for your support of Cingular Wireless. I will pass this along to our PR department and see what else we can do to get his tower up.

Thanks

Steve

Steven Hodges
    Cingular Wireless
    President Northeast Region

9. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Keep up the good fight mendel, If i could i would be out there on the 4th to fight the NIMBY'ers as well. Maybe if enough people start fighting back, everyone will have better wireless coverage where we want & need it.

10. fb

fb Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Pearl 8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Wireless/Cingular Blue
    Good work, Mendel.

It's so annoying to hear people complain about towers in their areas, while in the same breath bemoaning the weak cellular signals!

11. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

I disagree with you but in any event it's better for Sprint to have 50K potential towers instead of the 25k to 30K they have now. What a difference that's going to make, especially in the larger cities. One area where Sprint/Nextel will most certainly have the best coverage is here in the LA market. Sprint and Nextel already rival the other carriers for coverage here and combining the two together will give them a big advantage.

12. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    The "counter" flyer was great , but I would have included:
    A) Change the mention of "1 mile radius" to 3 or 4 to get more people excited about increased coverage.
    B) Mention somewhere that other carriers will most likley locate there too, so for VZW, Sprint ect customers this is their best shot for better signal in the area (unless they already have a tower there)
    C) Add something to the effect of having it look like a tree or County monument, this will give the people that want to fight for "somthing" the option of not weather it is "for or against", but weather it is built with "this style or that",......

13. mendel

mendel Junior Member

Coverage map of this area...

[​IMG]

14. mendel

mendel Junior Member

if anybody has any media contacts, please forward this story to them...

(I want full coverage of this on the news, so at least the anti NIMBYs will all show up....)

15. mendel

mendel Junior Member

As you can all see from here.... its being disguised as a tree....

[​IMG]

16. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

You are talking about concentration of towers which will definitely give Sprint/Nextel an advantage in the urban areas. That will at least get them to catch up for in-building penetration. However, I was talking about overall, rural and urban all over the US. Even with all their towers, Sprint/Nextel won't have as extensive and widespread coverage as Cingular/Verizon do. As you know, currently, Sprint and Nextel are not strong in the boonies, so they'll have to build something "from the ground up" in their unbuilt areas that Verizon and Cingular already cover. It's all about "More Bars in More Places" ;)

17. jones

BTW What was the resolution at the Town Hearing?

18. COMfr3aK

COMfr3aK Junior Member

My Phone:
    Bold 9000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Current: at&t | Past: Cingular TDMA, AT&T TDMA
    I know in my town of Bainbridge NY there was a huge uproar about installing a single tower since we had none. Not a single carrier served the town and people coming in would get nothing but a dead zone throughout the town as we are nestled in a valley.

Eventually a compromise was reached by putting up a Cell Tree. You know, a tower "disguised" as a 100 foot pine tree. Personally I think it looks absurd but at least we have Cingular service now. Of course we were the last town in the area to approve a tower. Verizon put one up in the next town over right on the border to give a little coverage in Bainbridge.

There was quite the lobby against putting on up but the benefits of the tower prevailed.

I specifically remember hearing the man leading the anti-tower charge at a board meeting stating "I don't want them putting cell towers up all over God's creation..."

It was actually a pretty humerous discussion... Of course this has nothing to do with the deal in Temple Beth but it's a similar situation..

19. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

Yeah yeah whatever. Many of us don't care about the boonies anyway. ;) The top 100 largest markets is where it's all about.

20. hillbilly44

hillbilly44 Senior Member

Mendel;

Here's something to show them. Take a flashlight to the meeting and shine it at the NIMBY's. The output power of a cell site is less than that. I doubt it'll shut some of them up but, it might help alot of people understand. Also the local government can't use health hazards to deny a tower per federal (FCC)law.:browani:

21. mendel

mendel Junior Member

22. jones

So the main issue here is that it's visible.
    Is there a 2nd hearing to reach an Approval/Disapproval?

23. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Apparently, there will be another final hearing. I can't believe some Americans are willing to sacrifice their safety because they are so concerned with the heart-wrenching trauma of seeing a monopole from a frequented travelway. :rolleyes:

24. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Isn't that the truth. Right now we have a few good ones going here in So. Cal as well. I'll post a few of them in the Western forum in a few minutes.

25. cryogenic

cryogenic Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Here, they just throw up huge monopoles and don't really bother disguising them much at all.. Heck, we still have the old school towers with 4 legs and all. Nobody seems to care because we get great coverage despite the hilly terrain.

26. whosurbud

whosurbud Junior Member

"Apparently, there will be another final hearing. I can't believe some Americans are willing to sacrifice their safety because they are so concerned with the heart-wrenching trauma of seeing a monopole from a frequented travelway. "

Touche' - Generally those that complain the most about their service are the folks that seem to have so much time on their hands they feel the need to feel "heard", u know the doctors, lawyers, teachers & such...Those same folks generally will say "NIMYB"...

Meanwhile, the rest of us that actually work hard for a living, can barely make it from week to week without worrying where they're gonna get the money to pay the stack of bills, mortgage, taxes, etc. Much less find the time (away from our kids, mind you) to show up to a town board meeting about a cellsite...

I wonder how many of those "NIMYB' s" show up for their "real" town meetings regarding the budget, taxes, and services. Or get involved with political reform, write their own congressmen to voice their concerns, and so on...

Think of the possibilities - If we all could just channel that energy toward something actually useful, and ya might see some new faces in the state assemblies, and Washington. e.g. - people in politics that actually wanna work for the people and not some corporate lobbyist group:) -
    Sorry, :lmao: end of rant:)

whosurbud