Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Still alive and kicking....

Discussion in 'The Roaming Zone' started by ShoresGuy, Nov 23, 2006.

1. ShoresGuy

ShoresGuy Euer WA Experte in Europa

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    E-Plus (BASE 12 month flatrate)/Vodafone Germany
    Hey everyone....,

some of you may have been wondering what's kept me from the forum for so long...been busy with work, Berufsschule (German schools where you get job training - long story, see below for Wikipedia's definition), the local volunteer unit of the Cologne Fire Department and everyday life in general.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berufsschule#Overview_of_the_German_school_system (Underneath "Gesamtschule")

I'm still around but just not as often. I'll liven up the European portion of the Cell Site Gallery so have a look and ask questions if you want to discuss technical details.

Take care and a belated Happy Thanksgiving to everyone across the giant pond,

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Hey there,

Good to see you on here- I honestly didn't notice you were gone because I haven't been on the forum myself much lately. I also plan to be more active in the future again.

School is keeping me busy as well. ;)

3. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Hey ShoresGuy.

I also did not notice that you were not on like Andy said.

I too have been very busy with school and my family's new business (I have been creating the website, the business cards, and helping with other things).

Glad to have you back SG. :)

Hopefully I will be on more within the next few weeks since I will be done with my third and final class (Operations Management) on December 12. I am already done with my Training and Development (HR class) and my Management of Small Business class.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    well im not that busy, and i was wondering.:browani:

good to hear your, still alive and kicking.:D

5. Shizam76

Shizam76 Shizam! Babyyyyy!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    WOW! Sounds like a load! Good luck with that Erik!

Toni...good to hear from you. Stay safe working the FD!

6. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Hey Dave.

Yes, I have been busy. But I am almost done with my last class and the other things I mentioned.

How have you been? Drop me a PM or text message if you want to chat further.

7. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I've been busy lately, also, but I'm finding more time to chill at WA over the last few days. Welcome back everyone, good to see you again!

8. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It's called retirement Big Dan.:browani:
    welcome back SG.:)

9. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Good to see you here again I have been low on posting here myself man life gets busya round the holidays

10. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Nice to see that eveything is good with you Shores. I havn't been wondering around here much, just poping in for a few every other day or so. I have been busy too in the land of PDAs. Learning about what makes my 700wx tick and helping out over at ppcgeeks, where I am now a mod.

11. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    hmmm, retirement, thats got a nice sound to it joe, and im really enjoying it.:D

12. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Glad to see your doing well Toni & being safe keeping the people safe, I was thinking about you & was wondering how everything was working out.

Also glad things are going well for you Erik, and hope the family business gets off to a good start, I am sure with your talents, the web site & others will be great.

13. ShoresGuy

ShoresGuy Euer WA Experte in Europa

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    E-Plus (BASE 12 month flatrate)/Vodafone Germany
    Hi Fire.....am still busy with the 16-module basic training course that the Cologne Fire Department uses to train their full-time and volunteer firefighters. At the moment, I've completed Modules 1-3, 5 & 6. 4 is in the works.

The Modules are as follows:

Module 1: First Aid (CPR, working with basic and specialized First Aid Kits, treating wounds/broken limbs etc)

Module 2: Basic Tasks (Knots, Ladders, touching the tip of the equipment iceberg - hose types, nozzle types, connecting different kinds of hoses, personal protective gear (NOMEX), heavy duty protective gear such as protective suits, as regulated by German Fire Regulation 1/Subsection 1)

Module 3: German Law pertaining to firefighting/Rights & Laws concerning German Fire Departments/Types of Fire Departments/Cologne Fire Department Structure/Special Rights (i.e. allowing you to exceed the speed limit & run red lights when responding to the station on a call)

Module 4: Emergency Vehicle Types/Equipment Types (covers each engine, truck, ambulance type used by German fire departments as well as an in-depth look at the equipment on each vehicle)

Module 5: Fire Types/Putting out different types of fires

Module 6: GSG - Gefahrenstoffgüter/HazMat (Atomic, Biological and Chemical Substances and their dangers/types of substances, how to recognize the warning signs mounted on vehicles and how to use the correct substance to put out fires (water, A3FF Foam, Powder, Sand)

Module 7: Two-Way Radios/German communication procedures/using different types of radios)

Module 8: Portable ladders

Module 9: Firefighting companies in action (without SCBA)

Module 10:

Module 11: Extrication of trapped patients/Using the Jaws of Life/Hydraulic Tools

Modules 12-14 cover SCBA usage
    12: Introduction to SCBAs, types of SCBAs, how to use them
    13:
    14: Firefighting companies in action (with SCBA)

Module 15: Rescuing Others and Saving Yourself (This module is very vital for the CFD since their expectation is that you're able to overcome any fear of heights and also be able to save yourself using the German firefighter belt which, along with the firefighter axe/hatchet, has a thick rope with a carabiner at the end which works like a climbing harness...used by German firefighters to rapel themselves along the side of a building in case the primary escape route is cut off)

Module 16: Hygiene/Pathogens/Diseases (how to recognize these and how to avoid getting exposed)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'll have to look up Modules 10 and 13 again. You're promoted from a trainee to a firefighter once you have completed Modules 1-11. Upon completion of Module 11, you get your pager (Cologne uses Motorola Firestorms II & III as well as the LX2plus/LX4plus. You're given 4 years to complete Modules 12-16 since some people don't make it past the rigirous SCBA training the first time.

More info on the pagers & radios used by German fire departments:

Radios: http://www.motorola.com/governmenta...nsnavone.aspx?navigationpath=id_801i/id_2290i
    Pagers: http://www.motorola.com/governmenta...nultimate.aspx?navigationpath=id_801i/id_958i

14. SteveW

SteveW Battery mgmt is my life

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

Interesting. That sounds like a lot of hard work. I had to Google SCBA to find out that it's a Self Contained Breathing Apparatus. I assume you're not talking about the

Southern California Broadcasters Association or
    Suffolk County Bar Association or
    Society of Chinese Bioscientists in America
    :D

Good luck with your training. Is any of it online? I am asking because I work in the e-learning industry and I recently worked with a client (a hospital system in Dallas, TX) that intended to use our e-learning platform for certifying EMTs and firefighters, among other county staff.

SW

15. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wow, other then parts of these I left, training isn't much different then here, our initial training is now 3 Months, when I got on it was 1 month.

For your Module 3, we never went big time in depth on the laws, but I do know 1 thing. We CAN NOT run Red Lights with the apparatus as well as volunteers in their personal cars.
    We must stop or slow down & be able to stop, at every red light and check before proceeding, and this goes for police & EMS as well, the only vehicle that is allowed to run a red light here in NJ is a postal vehicle.

For Module 7, we get a basic how to use the radio's and nothing more (we use plain language vs codes & it's easier for everyone)

For Module 15 we also have a rescue rope with a carabiner that's stored in a pocket on the back of our turnout coat (our gear is Nomex as well) and in an emergency with a halligan tool, we can use it to repel out a window.

So things are fairly close on training & equipment by the sounds of it.