Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Stick-on antennas any good? Other options?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by mace, Mar 25, 2005.

1. mace

mace New Member

I have to work out in the boonies, where cellular reception can be spotty (I have Cingular). Most of the other people out here have external antennas that plug into a port on their phone to get a better signal. Unfortunately, my phone, a Nokia 6620, doesn't have such a port. The only options I could find on the internet for attaching an antenna to it are gadgets that stick onto the back of the phone, and provide a standard antenna connection. I'm kinda dubious as to whether they actually work, though. Any experience with these things, or advice on other things to do?

2. SNSE

SNSE Senior Member

Don't waste your time or money

3. dallison

dallison Senior Member

i can sell you some duct tape instead of them selling you a tape antenna, at least you would be able to use the duct tape for something

4. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Those antennas are worthless.....

Some person came into my Verizon store when I was there a week or two ago, and he said that he was trying to improve the reception on his VX6000, and the rep. gave him a strange look and said that those antennas don't do anything to the phone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Go to the Nokia web site (www.nokia.com or www.nokiausa.com). They have car kits that hook up to an external antenna through the bottom port.

6. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It would be nice if a $5 sticker had the same effect as a $325 external antenna/booster kit, wouldn't it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. azcellphonejunkie

azcellphonejunkie The Cell Phone Junkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon, Sprint |Prior: Alltel, Nextel
    I will reiterate...don't waste your money...

8. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Hey Guys, I think he is talking about inductive pickups that are placed near the phones antenna and that give a wired connector output that then can be attached to a external car cell antenna.

Nokia sells one for $50 for the 6230 and is part of some of their car kits.

I don't think he meant those gold metal stick on things for $5 that ARE worthless

9. bmkarnes

bmkarnes New Member

My Phone:
    LG AX4750
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel National Freedom 1000,National Touch2Talk,
    The clip on antenna adaptors work half-___. But I would just goto nokias site and buy the bottom port adaptor. Cost more but it works a whole lot better. The clip overs for the antenna stubs DO WORK but they will not get the reception on GSM they get on CDMA, strange but true I will try to find the site I found the study on this, but it was documented. I have used both and the direct hook up connection does work better, and thats more than just a little.
    If you mean the sticker antennas you can pick up at the gas station well I hope you have gotten your answer on those. I've been told by techs at meetings that they can screw up CDMA reception, not sure about GSM though.
    Hope this helps.

10. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    This is the only option that Nokia offers for the 6230. I didn't check the 6620. There is no pop port option for the 6230 that I could find, just the antenna coupler mentioned below.

11. Jodi

Jodi Keep on swimming...

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I got one of those things for free (I would never waste my money) and tried it (if it's free, what can it hurt?)...they're garbage...didn't boost my signal at all...

It's a wonder they even still seel them in the market...amazing...

12. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    You mean that you got the Nokia product, for a Nokia phone?

13. mace

mace New Member

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. A stockroom guy at a cellphone store showed me the Nokia-made pickup for a phone kinda like mine (no external antenna or antenna port). It clips on the back of the phone and provides a standard antenna connection. He thought that Nokia would have one for my phone. But, I checked their website and called them, and they don't have anything like that. As far as I can tell, no other acessory manufacturer makes an adapter specifically for my phone.

The only thing I did find was a kinda generic-looking adapter here: http://www.cell-phone-accessories.com/no66cephanbo4.html.

And no, I don't expect those gold stickers to do anything except make you look like an idiot. :D If reception could be increased that cheaply and easily, the manufacturers would already have built it into the phones.

14. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    My current Nokia is the only Nokia I've owned that doesn't have an external ant jack...something that I thought I would never give up. But I did.

The generic may work if designed right. If the nokia version fits your phone , I would opt for that instead. If the generic, it may be designed poorly, and with a velcro attachment, misalignment will give varying results.

The concept is fine, that is how transformers work, and, in general cell phones: The emission from your cell phone is coupled to the cell tower antenna. It all depends on the coupling efficiency and if that doesn't lower the gain from the external antenna. If Nokia has one, I'm sure that it works reasonably well.

Good luck. Maybe the Cingular store guy will let you try one out for a day, or the generic will allow a return.

15. Jodi

Jodi Keep on swimming...

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    No...I meant those stupid gold stickers you put on inside the phone's casing...what crap!