Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Starting out prepaid and later upgrading to a plan

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by WireNone, Jul 1, 2008.

1. WireNone

WireNone New Member

Please forgive me if asking and trying to do the following is a no-no, but I have to ask. :confused:

What is wrong with buying and activating a prepaid phone and then later (a month after) upgrading to a plan?

Starting out with the prepaid route:

Samsung Hue: $59.99
    Activation" $35.00
    Staring Balance: $20.00

................ later I would upgrade to a monthly plan that shouldn't require a contract, I hope? If things get
    tight financially I can adjust my service or cancel it for a short while.

Whereas starting out directly with the monthly bill/contract route:

Samsung Hue Retail Price: $229.99
    Instant Savings: (-$150.00)
    Activation: $0 [ Promotion ]
    Plan: $0 [ I am billed for my 1st month, $39.99, after activation?? ]

.................. I would need to commit to paying $959.76 over the next 2 years not considering taxes and fees.

My situation is that I cannot commit to a contract because my income fluctuates. :O If I knew that every month for
    the next 24 months I was guaranteed to have at least $39.99 I would do it. But with today's economy I cannot. Still
    I am committed to paying for any services USED on a per month basis. That's fair right? :) I hope my rationalizatin makes
    some sense.

So what are the cons and penalties in trying to change a phone from prepaid to a monthly billed plan?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

2. bandit390

bandit390 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Prepaid numbers/account cannot be switched over to postpaid. So while you have a prepaid and want to switch it to postpaid. You will be able to take the phone, but you will be bascially opening a new postpaid account with a new number.

1. There would be no contract, since you are already bringing your phone over.

2. There is a $25 activation fee for postpaid. Yes, im sure it says 0$ online, but that is through letstalk and might even require you to buy a phone and adding a contract...Have to check and see.

3. Postpaid plans start billing you from day one, the charges will start showing on yor first bill/etc

3. WireNone

WireNone New Member

Thanks bandit!

So overall I am looking at $114 upfront and an extra $25 activation fee when I decide to upgrade to a plan and I will also lose my number? I can handle that.

It's just committing to having an extra $1000 over the next 2 years is not in my budget.

Before I make this final decision is there any other reason that anyone can think of for not going this route? If not, thanks anyways for reading my post!

4. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

I think Prepaid is crap but if cost is a concern it is worth considering.

Plus if you want to use any kind of data (wireless Internet tethering) you will need postpaid. If you want to change your plan you can any time so you aren't stuck with the 39.99 level. Plus you can add unlimited texting and get Internet. :)