Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

started new add a lines with Alltel, ? about EVDO

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by nm-native, May 3, 2007.

1. nm-native

nm-native New Member

Well, we finally just went to the store, added 2 lines to our plan, cancelled the first 2 we set up (we were within our 15 days) and are returning the "old" phones back to Let's Talk... That way if we have a problem with our phones, we can go deal with the store (we have had zero problems with the store and everyone has been very helpful). Anyway.... When we traveled to our "new" area, I noticed that my phone read "EV" instead of "d". So, I looked into it and the area we are moving to has EVDO. That seems odd because we are moving from a larger city to a smaller city, but oh well. I have the LG 8600 (decided to stay with it). There is not high speed in the area we are moving to, and there may be a WiFI tower near by the time we get set up there (I have my fingers corssed) as the dial-up speeds are like 22Kps (yikes, that is like crawling even compared to my average of 53Kps). Is there a way I can pay for the internet access on my cell phone and use it as a modem through the EVDO system? I have read things about a tether system for hte Moto E815, but nothing on the LG 8600. I would be using it on my home computer, and I am pretty sure it wouldn't pick up a Bluetooth signal. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And does anyone know the cost from Alltel to do this?

2. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    With a data kit you can hook your phone to your PC to be used as a modem (either with a Bluetooth connection or USB data cable.) Then you can use the EV-DO network for the internet on your PC. I believe they have a tethering feature for $25 that gives you unlimited data for this purpose. You just add the $25 to your existing voice plan.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. usmcre8

usmcre8 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I just recently moved over to the wireless internet connection via my cellphone. I dropped my 26.4 Kbs dial-up and this system works great for $25.00 per month but you need a phone capable of data connection. I chose to tether my connection thru a USB port instead of BlueTooth, they say a cleaner signal. You will need Motorola Phone Tools and I suggest your signal strength should be strong enough to not drop below 3 bars. I purchased my MPT for $25.00 and other accessories from Alltel online because they had a much fairer price. Should you need signal enhancement equipment, as I did, I strongly recommend CellAmericas.com because you can call them and they will walk you through your particular situation, their shipping charges are a bit high.

I am now attempting a Dock-n-Talk from CellAmericas to merge my cellphones with my land-line telephone lines so I can use my conventional phones via my cellphone when at home and get rid of my land-line connection.

PB

4. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    $25 per month for tethered EVDO internet is nothing...I wish I could get that :(