Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

ST7868W & Text Message ?

Discussion in 'MOTOROLA' started by PADutchman, Aug 29, 2003.

1. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

ST7868W & Text Message ?

I recently activated a Moto ST7868W in place of an LG P O S phone.

However, I do not have a manual for this phone. Can someone please advsie whether or not this thing can text message ?

Thank you

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Decepticon Air Commander

My Phone:
    LG VX8700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    The 7868 was not originally 2 way SMS capable, but right before they disco'd it, there was a software update released to make it 2 way. If you don't have the 2 way SMS now, most VZW stores should be able to flash it for you.

3. Adman

Adman Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I've got the latest software on my 7868, and I can do text messaging. It works OK, not great. The phone wasn't really designed for it.

When you get the software update, you'll see a bunch of new menu items when you hit the "envelope" key. New items include: Inbox, Outbox, Messaging.

Motorola archives all its phone manuals on its site. Here's the one for the 7868. It will demonstrate how to use the text messaging features.

Good luck!

4. VTEC01EX

VTEC01EX Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung E105
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Txting on my 7868 seems a little flaky. It's got the latest software, but every once in a while it won't send the message until I place or recieve a phone call. I'm not sure what's up with it. The problem was apparently fixed on the P8767, though.

5. Adman

Adman Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    That's strange VTEC01EX! I have not experienced that issue with the 7868. I agree, it is flaky, but that's because the phone was not really designed with text messaging in mind.

6. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

Thank you all for the info. I'm not so sure I trust MY VZW store with updating anything.
    It appears that it is ofcourse set up to receive text, but I see no means by which to generate a message. The software issue is probably the answer.

I would use this VERY little, so will have to debate whether it's worth risking. Knowing some of the attitude I've seen in my area, the store people may likely say,....."We don't sell that anymore, so we don't support it"
    I'll probably go GSM anyway when it's really ready.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. VTEC01EX

VTEC01EX Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung E105
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    All you should need is the software update, that's correct. I had to have the same thing done to my Timeport when I first got it. I guess it's relatively simple to upgrade. Even the monkeys at my local Verizon store managed to upgrade it without a hitch (after frying my V60i during an upgrade).