Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint vs Verizon in Manhattan

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by crazynyer, Oct 17, 2005.

?

In Manhattan, which wireless provider is better?

1. Verizon

53.3%
  2. Sprint, together with Nextel

46.7%
  1. crazynyer

crazynyer New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile (04-05), Now testing Verizon and Sprint
    I'm trying to figure out which one of Sprint or Verizon to choose based on reception and call quality in Manhattan. Does anybody have any opinions? I just want functional service that will not drop my calls, give me a decent number of bars, and will aid clear conversations -- don't want perfection, but as close to it as possible. I'm considering taking both of them and trying them out during their trial periods... but that's such a hassle. Any advice?
    Thanks!:)

2. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    As usual, the only advice that can be giver is to try them out for yourself where you go the most, and make the decision on your own.

All I can say is that if you spend most of your time in the city, you may want to go with Verizon over Sprint because they are an 800 MHz carrier. OR, you could go with sprint now that they have roaming included. That will give you access to the Sprint network, verizon network, and cingular analog. Thats a lot of networks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. crazynyer

crazynyer New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I take it that 800 MHz is a way superior carrier?

4. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Well, in city conditions...you want 800 MHZ. 800 is able to penitrate objects better than 1900 MHz. 1900 has its upsides also, but lets not get into that now.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Verizon wins hands down!

And yes, 800Mhz is usually but not always better in urban, suburban and rural environments. In a crowded city, 800Mhz penetrates buildings better. In a rural area, 800Mhz reaches further per tower.

6. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I'm not sure about the hands down thing. Sure Verizon probably has more coverage...but Sprint has free roaming. You can use the sprint network..and where that dosent work, you can roam on verizon anytime.

7. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    If a 1900 Mhz network is built out well enough it can equal or even be better than a 800 mhz network. It's all about cell site placement. But of course sometimes it's more difficult for the 1900 Mhz carriers to get up as many cell sites as they want/need due to costs and NIMBY's.

8. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I certainly agree with this. When I roam in Europe on 1800, the coverage is excellent, even in buildings.

9. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I am just talking about NYC as the original poster asked. I am not venturing to compare in other places or making blanket statements as we all know all carriers perform differently in different areas. As for the free roaming, Verizon has free roaming too. And in a place like NYC there's no need for Verizon to roam since it covers everywhere Sprint covers and more.

10. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    This is absolutely true. That's why I said 800Mhz is usually but not always better. ;)

11. crazynyer

crazynyer New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Much thanks for all your replies. I went to both this evening, and am currently trying their family plans -- the $60 + $9.99 (for second line) plan with Verizon, and the $69.99 (for both lines) with Sprint & Nextel, and I am already leaning towards Sprint. Here are my reasons:
    --Sprint gives me 800 shared minutes vs. Verizon's 700
    --Sprint has the flexible minutes in case I drastically go over the 800
    --Sprint charged me 1 activation fee for the two numbers, while Verizon charged me for both
    --Coverage was pretty much the same in my apartment. Neither was clearly better than the other. I think Verizon's ad campaigns are partially responsible for their good rep. Although I know bars mean absolutely nothing, I do get more bars in my apartment with Sprint's phone
    --Let's face it -- Verizon's phones really really suck. I had a Motorola for over two years, and I'm never buying another one. (Verizon's Motorola doesn't even have proper bluetooth?!?!) Nor am I a big fan of LG. Verizon's Samsung line-up has a lot of room for improvement.
    --From Verizon, I got two new Samsung a630 for $50 each, even though it was $20 each on their web-site store -- and even though this phone has neither good reception, exterior caller ID, nor a camera. The Sprint store guy (who also happened to be much more knowledgable than the Verizon store guy) matched their web-site prices, and gave me two (2) Samsung a840 for a grand total of $30 (this phone has external call ID, a camera, voice command, and looks so much better). I also got an extra back-up phone (the new Samsung a820 -- possibly the lightest phone I've owned) for $20... and I don't even have to use it.
    --Both give me a discount because I'm an employee of a certain company. However, Verizon's discount is a % off of only the $60 for the first line, and won't include the $9.99 for the second line. Sprint's discount is a % off of the total of $69.99
    So... I think the decision is going to be easy.

12. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Hurray! Welcome to sprint!

13. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Now comes the fun part. Make sure your Sprint phone works in all the places you need it to work, such as work, school, relatives/friends place, other places you frequent, etc. But at least it works good in your apartment so that's a good start.

Just out of curiosity, why did you limit yourself to explore only Sprint and Verizon? There's more out there than just those two.

Good luck!

14. @TheRealDanny

@TheRealDanny ALL IN

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile USA
    The Sprint salesmen gets the award for this one. Even the OP sounds like an experienced Sprint salesman after the second post. :cool:

Classic.

At first he only wanted a phone that worked, then decided that crippled bluetooth and ugly Motorola phones were all VZW offers. LOL. :)

15. @TheRealDanny

@TheRealDanny ALL IN

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile USA
    You only activated two lines and were given the 3rd phone for a subsidized price? That phone retails for $ 199.99 w/o contract or $ 19.99 online with a two year advantage agreement.

I believe it is also ReadyLink capable too.

How did you know the a630 has poor reception? It's only been out a week or two.

My LG rocks. The only thing I cannot do via bluetooth is sync phonebook contacts or transfer GIN downloads. MP3's, midi's, wallpapers etc I can transfer. I can pair my 8100 with my MAC too.

Bluetooth DUN is disabled by default and requires you to go into the phone's menu system to enable it.

16. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Hey remember that Sprint's new phones have a new roaming setting (LG excluded) that favors CDMA roaming over analog. It comes in handy for any situations where Sprint's signal might be too weak to use. Only drawback is no Vision services. But even text messaging is starting to work while roaming. This of course assumes a roaming included plan which are now widely available.

17. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Absolutely. Verizon has done an excellent advertising job and managed to get many people to jump on their bandwagon with their "our network is the best" campaign.

18. crazynyer

crazynyer New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Responses:

Q: Just out of curiosity, why did you limit yourself to explore only Sprint and Verizon? There's more out there than just those two.
    A: I had Tmobile, and it didn't work at all. No reception. No nothing. I didn't consider Cingular because I know a lot of people who were lured by the phones and the prices, and were very disappointed.

Q: At first he only wanted a phone that worked, then decided that crippled bluetooth and ugly Motorola phones were all VZW offers. LOL.
    A: The phones is one of the reasons I will consider. Not the only one. You don't look at or think about the phone that you're gonna spend the next two years of your life with?

Q: You only activated two lines and were given the 3rd phone for a subsidized price? That phone retails for $ 199.99 w/o contract or $ 19.99 online with a two year advantage agreement.
    A: You buy one Samsung a840, you get another free. Since I'm entitled to two phones, I also get a Samsung a820.

Q: I believe it is also ReadyLink capable too.
    A: Yes, the Samsung a820 is ReadyLink capable.

Q: How did you know the a630 has poor reception? It's only been out a week or two.
    A: Because I am currently trying it. IN MY APARTMENT, you place your finger on a certain spot, and the reception disappears. IN MY APARTMENT, you place the phone face up, and the reception disappears. Doesn't happen with my Samsung a840 IN MY APARTMENT.

Q: My LG rocks. The only thing I cannot do via bluetooth is sync phonebook contacts or transfer GIN downloads. MP3's, midi's, wallpapers etc I can transfer. I can pair my 8100 with my MAC too.
    A: Some people are fans. Some people are not. Choice.

Q: Absolutely. Verizon has done an excellent advertising job and managed to get many people to jump on their bandwagon with their "our network is the best" campaign.
    A: I know. I used to work with the advertising company that came up with the retarded "Can you hear me now?" campaign. BTW, a GMC is not REALLY any more "Professional Grade" than a Chevy.

19. @TheRealDanny

@TheRealDanny ALL IN

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile USA
    Of course I do. But I'm picky.

I was a little confused when I read your post because you first seemed to indicate that you only wanted a "phone that works" but then later indicated specific detailed techy reasons for not liking certain equipment.

That leads me to believe that the salseman who sold you your phones did their job and educated you or persuaded you to choose one phone or service over another.

20. @TheRealDanny

@TheRealDanny ALL IN

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile USA
    Something doesn't seem right about that. Even free phones require an annual agreement; usually a two year agreement. So did you activate three lines or two?

If you only intentionally activated two lines, and walked out with three phones, the rep dishonestly charged you an activated price without it being activated or he signed you up for three lines and didn't tell you.

Check your bill and/or contract carefully.

21. crazynyer

crazynyer New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I apologize. I guess it would've been more appropriate to say "I want a wireless provider that works in Manhattan." The actual equipment matters of course, but it's fairly low in my priority list. But it IS one of the many aspects that I will consider. I also should have mentioned that I sort of wanted a reasonably priced Samsung.

22. crazynyer

crazynyer New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I will have to check on that. They only had a Samsung a820 for display, and they ordered one for me. I'm supposed to get that in a day or so. I will definitely make sure I know what's going on when it arrives at the store for pick-up. Thanks a lot.

23. @TheRealDanny

@TheRealDanny ALL IN

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile USA

Well like I tell people: It's one thing to sign up a customer and another thing to actually keep them.

A good sign of consumer satisfaction is to consider each companies churn rate.

A company claiming to have a superior network will lose customers if they can't live up to their name.

24. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Excellent post, YourDaddy, I could not have said it better.
    Larry, it is true that Verizon's network is not great in every area of this country where they run their 'our network is the best' ads, but you have to admit that if their network really wasn't good/great in most areas, their churn levels wouldn't be the lowest in the industry, plus they wouldn't keep signing up more people than any other company. Even though you are biased(and we all are) you have to admit that it's not all about the advertising, that there has to be something that's keeping the customers, but I agree that VZW has done an EXCELLENT job advertising.

25. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    See, this is precisely why we recommend the trial period. You may never know what you're missing if you just go by what people say. Have you tried a Cingular phone yourself? While you might have the vision that Cingular phones are disappointing, don't forget that anything can give you a surprise!

26. @TheRealDanny

@TheRealDanny ALL IN

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile USA

I used to sell mobile phones. I also used to secret shop the competition.

Unfortunately, just like any business, there are a few shady characters out there who will try to slip in a service or even extra line w/o disclosing it to the customer.

I hope the rep who helped you didn't intentionally misinform you or decieve you. Just be careful. I could also be totally off base.

I have lots of stories from my years of experience!

27. crazynyer

crazynyer New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Just out of curiosity, are the fans of Verizon so loyal because of superior regional and US coverage, or superior call quality (unbroken conversations, no dropped calls, clear), or availability of reception in difficult places (basements, for example), or their phones, or some combination of those four?

28. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I would say it is a combination of the four. When your service works when and where you need it, there's really no need to be calling CS to complain or any need to start exploring other carriers.