Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint & Verizon : Push To Talk

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by enigmatic, Jul 6, 2002.

1. enigmatic

enigmatic New Member

Sprint & Verizon : Push To Talk

How long is this going to take to come out on the market? And will it be better than Nextel's 2 Way Radio?

2. mikeymobiles

mikeymobiles New Member

I was a the verizon dealer the other day and the manager said there was plenty of meetings about what is going on, all they have to do is start changing there network so that it can be able to handle the direct connect. The patent on the "direct connect" is up in 11 months. So it should be soon, and verizon is always the best so you can count on it being better then nextel's radio!

3. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

ummm...the patent for DC for cdma2000 networks was bought by nextel exclusive rights for it for the next 3 years just so verizon and sprint the two cdma carriers that want PTT could not use it even though nextel is not going to utilize it as they are not upgrading to cdma as of now.

4. cucopasuryn

cucopasuryn Junior Member

I heard that EDGE is going to have a PTT feature, press a botton and you are intantly connected to the other person by speakerphone. is not a 2 way radio and they don`t have to get the rights from nextel. I hope it`s true cos i hate the stupid noice everytime i push the bottom, but i love the instant connection.

5. deepdickman

deepdickman New Member

the ptt feature on nextel is tdma, as far as i can tell and see, they will be the only carrier to have this feature. sure verizon may come up wit a version, but i doubt it will be/work the same. right now nextel is scrambeling to get their nation wide DC feature on line, however, i have found that being a nextel subscriber recently that its starting to work on the launch 1 paltform, which is: if your # is based in one market and you trave to another, ppl from your market can communicate w/ you via DC! nextel wont tell you this, but i was in orlando, fl and had a person from greensboro, nc DC me and ask me to come over, well you could imagine both of our surprise whaen i said that might ne a bit of a problem as i was in Disney World! we were DCing from 2 different markets!!! i got my bill and guess what? no extra charges for that! i wont say that it works, but dont be surprised if it does!!!!

6. Fobulous

Fobulous Junior Member

I have to say that the DC feature from Nextel is really nice. I like the idea of DC someone without actually calling them. if SprintPCS implement this feature to their network it would be just great..but i doubt it since they are swamped with debts...it'd be hard to believe if they are going to spend more for this feature...

7. IdiOTeQnoLogY

they are. it is already in the works. sprint is being smart; they are installing features to attract the enterprise customer and get away from the low credit ones.

being they have the best migration path to 3g; adding PTT is yet another way to snag the business customers. it all makes sense to me.

8. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    me too idiot. DC isnt a big thing for me, no one has nextel anyway lol. I think its good for businesses though, of course I heard this guy in radioshack slam Sprint and Nextel, saying they don't work in nearly as many places in Delaware as his personal Verizon phone. Beats me why he has Sprint, Nextel was for his work, he was fixing something at radioshack and was telling people to get Verizon lol.

9. Apoc

Apoc Senior Member

I have only heard some speculation about this, I understand that Nextel pretty much onces the FCC lifts the Spectrum bands would this give VZW and SPCS the options for this feature? Both of there carriers are the 2 biggest busniess account holders out of any wirless carrier I think ATTWS has a decent business base. This could make for some serious bank for Nextel if they allow other carriers pick up this feature. But than bigger roaming agreements would happen. But eventually Nextel would lose for the fact customers would convert to a better coverage area!

10. Fobulous

Fobulous Junior Member

True. Nextel coverage sucks...and if SPCS & Verizon come out with their own versions..Nextel will be in trouble. Plus...their(nextel) phones really suck.

11. ehcruzan

ehcruzan Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    Is Direct Connect's main draw the instant connection or the walkie-talkie functionality? It seems like consumers and truck drivers love having a walkie-talkie and phone combination whereas the business user might appreciate the full duplex speakerphone capabilities Verizon and Sprint are promising. I guess the business users is the target anyway so that shouldn't matter.

12. Rasputin

Rasputin Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple Iphone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon
    It is all about ARPU, Sprint Verizon want some of the high ARPU that Nextel has. The have the highest Average Rev Per User. Just more add on features to get biz customers, who are the most wanted customers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. daveb28

daveb28 New Member

anyone have the sanyo 4900 software? for web connection and/or snapmedia. email me at daveb28@aol.com. thanks!

14. IdiOTeQnoLogY

www.sanyo.com has it for $30 as well as the cable for the same price.

15. djjoeyd69

djjoeyd69 New Member

Any truth to the rumor that Sprint's new PTT feature will work with Sanyo 4900 and a software upgrade? Will Sprint charge for the upgrade? When is this feature scheduled to roll out???

16. ScandaLEX

ScandaLEX Senior Member

17. djjoeyd69

djjoeyd69 New Member

Well that gives me a little info. I hope that it will include the Sanyo 4900, because I can't wait too much longer to buy that phone. I misplaced my Samsung POS460 and am going to take advantage of this to upgrade to Vision. But I don't want to buy another frickin phone when this "Push to Talk" feature becomes available.

18. IdiOTeQnoLogY

i cant say this is %100 but from various sources i have heard the sanyo 4900 will be compatible with PTT on the spcs network when it launches.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Bought my 4900 last night at circuit city.

20. djjoeyd69

djjoeyd69 New Member

Bought my 4900 last night at circuit city. (guess i forgot to log in on that last post.) Anyways, I love the phone, and can't wait to play with it and see what it can do.

21. Guest

Guest Guest

What most people don’t realize is that a direct connect feature IS ACTUALLY A CELLULAR CALL! It just so happens that they utilize a lower frequency, 800mHz non- duplex (one way at a time) analog, to broadcast the signal. SO, there is an infinite number of ways that Verizon and other companies could pursue a PTT feature on their network. What most people don’t realize is that Verizon PTT would most likely be a digital call not an analog one like Nextel's and would be superior in every way. Now in conclusion, the fact that Verizon has the largest Digital network in the United States and hold so much of the market share, NEXTEL look out because you will soon have a completely “proprietary” network of technologies that are essentially antiquated and will no longer carry the profitability that they have seen in the past.

22. jimbo

jimbo Member

Sorry Anon, on this one you are full of that well known stuff. Nextel's two way radio is, in fact, digital. You are correct about it being half-duplex, just like a walkie-talkie. But actually, the PTT that Sprint and Verizon may roll out soon will reportedly not be as good as Nextel, at least not in the first generation. It will be implemented as voice-over-ip, and will have a couple second delay in making a connection, unlike Nextel's almost instant connect time.

I love reading these posts, especially when the anon posters have no clue!

23. IdiOTeQnoLogY

i agree that i think sprint and verizon's PTT will be voice over IP and while now data speeds are in the 50-70kbs speed the connect will be slower not like nextels. as the data speeds are improved so will the PTT connect time.

24. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Sprint will not roll out PTT until it is functionally a better product than Nextel...they learned their lesson with the ....well let say not quite complete roll out of Vision. Currently from what I have heard the connect times in testing are about four seconds...but that is changing very soon...also the other reason that PPT is such a big deal for Sprint is the next product down that path will be video conferencing...yes it's true...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  25. IdiOTeQnoLogY

yeah that next gen sanyo phone with the OLED screen I saw the demo video for that with videoconferencing it was sick

26. astint1

astint1 New Member

If PTT will work with they Sanyo 4900, will it work with the Samsung A500 and other vision phones or just some with the speaker phone like the Samsung N400.

27. IdiOTeQnoLogY

the PTT will not work with the 4900..........there will be an upgrade released to that model called the 4950 which will be the same phone + PTT (with maybe a few other minor changes) and no it will not work with any existing vision phones out now that I know of.

28. sprintPCSrfTECH

sprintPCSrfTECH New Member

The Sprint PCS PTT feature will work with a software upgrade on the 4900. This feature will be launched in the very near future as it is in BETA testing right now. From the horses mouth........

29. DaveyJ

DaveyJ Junior Member

I don't know where you got your info, but you're way off. Considering Nextel is i-Den (enter junk) proprietary TDMA by Motorola they have no right to hold a patent for a PTT function on CDMA2000 networks. And anyway, it would have to go through Qualcomm to begin with.

30. astint1

astint1 New Member

any clue what phones that PTT will work on. Is it just the vision phones that have speakerphone or what. I have an a500 now and I was going to go out and get a sanyo 5300. But if PTT will not work with ether phone i should wait. Any clue what phones will PTT work with.