Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sprint/Verizon EVDO compared

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by xenophon, Feb 5, 2006.

1. xenophon

xenophon Member

Performance as of Feb 4, 2006

Average: 774Kbps
    Median: 746Kbps
    Peak: 1868Kbps
    >1Mbps: 27%
    >600Kbps: 64%
    <400Kbps: 17%

Verizon
    Performance
    Entries: 159
    Average: 594Kbps
    Median: 610Kbps
    Peak: 1976Kbps
    >1Mbps: 7%
    >600Kbps: 51%
    <400Kbps: 24%

Performance results from.....

Verizon:
    http://www.broadbandreports.com/archive/myvzw.com

Sprint:
    http://www.broadbandreports.com/archive/spcsdns.net

To test yourself...
    http://speedtest.frontiernet.net/

Perfermance Methodology: Filtered out are unrealistic results (dl over 2Mbps and ul over 200K) and multiple entries by zipcode within a few hours. For duplicate zips near same time, the highest speed was kept. This should give more realistic averages and factor out people who test multiple times in a row. These are all entries that have over 130Kbit/sec. The assumption is, if under 130K, it might have been a 1xRTT connection.

Sprint
    EVDO Coverage claimed: 150m+ population (dec), 110+ distinct markets (jan), expansion to 260m in 2007. EVDO Coverage Map

Verizon
    EVDO Coverage claimed: 150m+ population (dec), 70+ distinct markets (jan), no source on expansion plans. . EVDO Coverage Map - select Vcast

Sprint
    EVDO Terms of Service: No specific restrictions other than unlawful or excessive abuse. Sprint actually promotes streaming video and online game use.

Verizon
    EVDO Terms of Service: Not allowed... Legal streaming music/movies/radio, VoIP, online games among other things.

Sprint
    EVDO Rates: Laptop cards $60-$80/month. PowerVision phones start at $15/month, includes unlimited data/browsing within phone. USB tethering to laptop officially available on all PowerVision phones with two plan options - $25/month for 40MB with per KB charge that caps to $70/month OR (new) $40/month unlimited flat charge.

Verizon
    EVDO Rates: Laptop cards $60-$80/month. VCast phones start at $15/month, includes unlimited data/browsing within phone. USB tethering to laptop officially available on new BlackBerry EVDO phone and some VCast phones. $60/month unlimited flat charge.

Sprint
    Key Points:
    - More markets have EVDO, especially <1.5 million; large expansion plan to 100% of network
    - Avg performance currently higher
    - Lower priced EVDO USB/Bluetooth phone tethering
    - Almost entirely unrestricted Terms of Service
    - EVDO built in some Panasonic Toughbooks
    - Free EVDO laptop cards til April 1 '06
    - Sprint support monitors/responds on evdoforums.com
    - Sprint's first level support is often poor, go direct to Tier 2 data group - 1.866.818.1944

Verizon
    Key Points:
    - Can roam slower 1xRTT data on some partners
    - May have broader coverage on outskirts of some larger metro areas
    - Official Mac support for some laptops
    - EVDO built in some IBM/HP laptops
    - Call-in customer support generally considered better

Voice and 1xRTT Networks:
    According to the Sprint/Nextel FCC application in 2005, Sprint had over 24,000 cell sites and will be adding 14,000 more on Nextel sites by 2008, adding 1000 for end of 2005. According to this in Feb 2006, Verizon had "over 24,000" cell sites. This suggests Verizon had 22,000 and Sprint had 25,000 sites in Aug 2005.

Verizon claims to reach over 250 million population with native network. Sprint claims to reach over 250 million population with native network and 268 million combined with Nextel sites. Both Sprint and Verizon claim to reach over 290 million with roaming.

2. xenophon

xenophon Member

3. xenophon

xenophon Member

4. cryogenic

cryogenic Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have Verizon's EVDO and I fall into the less than 400kbps category most of the time... I'll occasionally get over 500 but more often than not I'm in the 250-350kbps range. Speeds tend to fluctuate pretty wildly in my area, though and I've actually seen sub-100kbps speeds without my phone going into 1x. I'm not sure what Verizon's issue is here but the network speeds aren't so hot. :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. xenophon

xenophon Member

The reason may be because Knoxville is apparantley an 800mhz market only for Verizon...
    http://www.wirelessadvisor.com/zipcode-search/4c6o3p0bbt

The 800mhz towers do not have as much EVDO capacity as 1900mhz towers. This appears to be part of the reason why Sprint's performance averages are higher than Verizon's as Sprint has all 1900mhz towers.

6. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Thought that I would give my 2 cents about the Alltel EVDO. I am getting about 775 kbps after three tests. Alltel has the cellular band here.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. gubak

gubak Junior Member

Very nice speed comparisons. Thank you xenophon!