Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint - Together with NEXTEL

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by cellular_freak, Nov 15, 2005.

1. cellular_freak

cellular_freak Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Does anybody know if, now that Sprint has acquired Nextel, if Sprint will begin to put towers up in areas where there is currently Nextel towers? I'm saying this because they say you will be able to switch between the two of them without paying any deactivation fees or activation fees. Also, where I live, we have a CDMA company already, Thumb Cellular. I wasn't sure if they would have a say in not letting Sprint come because it's been said that Thumb Cellular has kept Verizon, Cingular, T-Mobile, and Alltel from us. The only companies we have are Nextel, Thumb Cellular, and CellularOne/Dobson. And all three of them operate at 850 MHz, so I wonder if Sprint may not be able to that way also, since they are completely 1900 MHz. Any help on any info about this would be helpful.

2. LinuxWiz83

LinuxWiz83 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola i730
    Wireless Provider(s):
    NEXTEL
    Well if your talking about has far as your contract then the answer is yes you can transfer them without early activation fees but if you switch from nextel to sprint and you want to go back to nextel like i did you will have to pay an activation fee for each phone to get back on nextel's network. As far as sprint adding towers where nextel has tower i don't think so because nextel has several towers here and sprint only has one maybe two towers here and there service is horrible in this area. I found out after words though that only NEXTEL, ALLTEL, Cingular and T-Mobile have good coverage here. You can go to http://www.cellreception.com/index.html to search for customers reviews on cell phone service and the ablity to search for FCC register cell phone towers.

3. DahJewel

DahJewel New Member

Regarding adding towers, I'm NOT in the business, but if I were, I'd use all available towers & upgrade each one to service full band of technology. Might make better sense than putting up extra towers & duplicating them....?:rolleyes:

4. xenophon

xenophon Member

Yes, they have already begun...

According to the Sprint/Nextel FCC application in 2005, Sprint had over 24,000 cell sites and will be adding 14,000 more on Nextel sites by 2008 or about 4,000 per year - likely 1,000 were added by end of 2005.
    https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/...ntKey=17993617&affn=0179936178364392058496989

According to this, Nextel has 28,000 cell sites and Sprint plans to add CDMA to half in about two years.
    http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/news/print.php/3448181

Sprint alone covered 250 million population with CDMA only. Sprint combined with Nextel sites covers 268 million. The rollout has begun and they plan to hit 260m coverage in 2007 and 268 million by 2008 - all with EVDO BTW.

5. LinuxWiz83

LinuxWiz83 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola i730
    Wireless Provider(s):
    NEXTEL
    Well this is great news then but i don't think i will go back to SprintPCS here in tell i see about it actually be the same quality if i do at all because the fact is NEXTEL customer service beats SprintPCS by a long shot.