Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint to no longer offer unlimited data - NOW HAS A CAP of 5GB/month!

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by Nextel32708, May 16, 2008.

1. treotosh

treotosh Junior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 750
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular/At&t
    Just when i thought Sprint was trying to be one of the cheaper services. Now there just messing up again. But i think Larry is on the right track, there just trying to get there stocks off the floor. LETS SPRINT AHEAD EVERYBODY>>>>:cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    crackberry's
    not to be a jerk, but i think everyone here is a bit quick to judge this decision when it obviously has valid reasoning and is just Sprint putting safetys in place to protect their assets and to terminate users that abuse their network.

makes sense to me.

3. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes I think everyone is a little quick to judge this decision and the reason for that is all of the negative publicity and hype that's been going on. Anything little thing that Sprint does is going to turn into 'Sprint is treating us badly again'. But maybe they need to take these steps in order to get back on the right track again.

4. treotosh

treotosh Junior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 750
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular/At&t
    you have a pretty good point, dumb question but how does somebody abuse a network?:confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    It's not abuse so to speak, but people that take advantage of the offering and run their data connection 24/7. It's these variants that cost the carriers big money. Before the carriers offer a plan they do a large amount of research into what the customers what, how much they'll pay, how much they'll use versus how much they think they'll use and a few other metrics. Using all that data, they can get a good idea of how the public will respond to their offering. I'd wager that 90% of Air-Card users use about 3.0gigs of transfer a month with power users getting close to that 5gig limit. Then there are the oddballs such as myself that have the aircard on 10+ hours a day and average 10gigs or more per month. It's the guys like me they want to crack down on and get on a "better" plan (i.e. actually make Sprint a profit instead of breaking even).

6. Ddeere2

Ddeere2 Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS 16Gb
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Yeah, this memo I read from work today said that out of all of Sprints customers, only 0.5% go over 5 gigs. I guess your one of those TelecomJunkie :D lol, but I'm not positive, I'll check again, that every 3 months Sprint will check your account for any usage over 5 gigs. Also, that if you go over a few times nothing will hapen, but i assume more than that, you'll be warned or terminated.

7. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    things they already prohibit but also want to crack down more are things like webcam streaming, server hosting, and even people who use their Aircards on laptops that are P2P Ultrapeers......if your music library is big enough you have a lot of people, who are gonna be downloading files of your comp.......non stop if you leave the program going.......with things like Limewire they atay running in the try and your uploading even though the window isnt open.......with Gnutella, eDonkey, Bearshare, blah blah blah...........its non stop data.......and i mean non stop.........