Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint to Give More Customers the Benefits of Industry-Leading Push-to-Talk

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by larry, Jul 10, 2008.

1. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sprint to Give More Customers the Benefits of Industry-Leading Push-to-Talk, Largest Voice Calling Area and Sprint Mobile Broadband Speeds

With More Push-to-Talk (PTT) Handsets to Choose from Than Any Other Carrier, the Largest Community of PTT Users Can Get More Done Instantly with Voice, Fast Data Speeds and Instant PTT Connections

OVERLAND PARK, Kan.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 10, 2008--Sprint (NYSE:S) announced today that it will expand the availability of four new Nextel Direct Connect(R) phones to customers in 14 additional cities and states across the country. Currently available in 46 markets, the LX400 by LG, Z400 by Samsung, and PRO-200 and PRO-700 by Sanyo will be available in the additional markets beginning July 13. These new phones incorporate Nextel Direct Connect push-to-talk services, the speed of Sprint Mobile Broadband and Sprint's largest voice calling area, giving customers a wider selection of phones to meet their productivity needs with connection in less than one second to millions of existing Nextel Direct Connect subscribers nationwide.

"Sprint customers value the ability to connect instantly, and we're excited to offer these new phones to customers in more cities and states across the country," said Danny Bowman, president of Nextel Direct Connect for Sprint. "In addition to delivering instant push-to-talk connectivity, these new phones also add the speed of Sprint Mobile Broadband and Sprint's largest voice calling area so customers can do even more, faster."

The new phones allow customers to make Direct Connect(R) calls with the world's largest push-to-talk community and are currently available through Sprint retail stores, direct sales or telesales (1-800-Sprint1) in 46 markets. They will be available starting July 13 in the following additional markets:

* Phoenix, Ariz.
    * Upper Central Valley, Calif.
    * East Kentucky
    * Maine
    * Minnesota
    * Missouri
    * New Hampshire
    * Buffalo, N.Y.
    * Rochester, N.Y.
    * Central Upstate New York
    * East Upstate New York
    * Utah
    * Norfolk, Va.
    * Vermont

Phones

* LX400 by LG(R) - The LX400 by LG is packaged in a slender form factor and enables Nextel Direct Connect push-to-talk services. The phone also includes key features such as a 1.3 megapixel camera, Bluetooth, GPS capabilities and noise reduction capabilities. This phone is available for as low as $79.99 with a two-year service agreement and $50 mail-in rebate.
    * Z400 by Samsung(R) - Ultra-rugged push-to-talk choices expand with the Z400 by Samsung, which is certified to Military specification 810F for dust, shock and vibration. Customers also have added benefits of a 1.3 megapixel camera, Sprint Navigation and Bluetooth support in this clamshell handset. This phone is available for as low as $99.99 with a two-year service agreement and $50 mail-in rebate.
    * PRO-200 by Sanyo(R) - Sporting an attractive, slim clamshell form factor, the PRO-200 by Sanyo delivers instant Nextel Direct Connect push-to-talk services and key functionalities including Bluetooth(R), messaging capabilities and mobile email. This phone is available for as low as $49.99 with a two-year service agreement and $50 mail-in rebate.
    * PRO-700 by Sanyo(R) - Recognizing that instant communication is needed in sometimes harsh environments, Sprint is offering this rugged phone certified to military standards for dust, shock and vibration. This phone is available for as low as $79.99 with a two-year service agreement and $50 mail-in rebate.

Sprint plans to expand availability of these phones to additional markets and channels through the remainder of 2008. Customers can sign up to be notified of availability in additional markets at Instant Connect.

2. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    Great! Looks like another host of cities are eligible for qchat. Keep it up Sprint.

3. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    The Qchat phones are up for my ZIP code now, but you cannot order them online. There is a message saying they are in limited supply and to call telesales or go to a Sprint Store.

4. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    When is the nationwide rollout?

5. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Considering the coverage area for qchat appears to be half that of Nextel's current coverage, I would say any true national rollout is a long way away.

6. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I was hoping to get the new Moto in Sept. and I live in Charlotte. We should be ready for Qchat here I would think as we are a major metro area...

7. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Charlotte is not a market in which QChat phones are currently sold. It may be by September when the Motorola comes out though!

8. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    That is what I am hoping for. I can not deal with another 2 years of iden voice! Although I know you just switched to it! I am glad it is working for you, I just can't stand it personally.

9. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    It's really funny, as far as iDEN voice goes...sometimes I swear it is better than CDMA was. Then there are other calls where I think the voice quality is awful compared to what CDMA was.

QChat reviews have been pretty mixed so far...I am not sure if it is because it isn't quite as good as iDEN so all the Nextel fans don't like it as much, or if it is because there truly are major issues with the service.

10. Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton 10 years scandal free....

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    Vermont has QChat. Yay. I wonder if this means Sprint will expand their network in the future because existing coverage is rather marginal. Probably not though because rural areas aren't very profitable. I may give QChat a try though. Very exciting.

11. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well i think that a commercial rollout with all the fancy shmancy advertising would be sometime in Q4 when they plan to have all the Rev A upgrades finished......i mean that was the original rollou time for QChat

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...