Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint to expand EVDO 100% network, expand CDMA sites 40%, offer DO USB dongle

Discussion in 'Wireless News' started by xenophon, Apr 5, 2006.

1. xenophon

xenophon Member

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/ZDM/story?id=1808292

April 5

LAS VEGAS — Sprint is making high-speed wireless more accessible and more flexible with an EV-DO-to-WiFi router and USB EV-DO dongle, carrier representatives said today at the CTIA wireless trade show.

The company will also build out the nation's fastest, widest-area data network over the next two years, according to Sprint's chief network officer Kathryn Walker.

Sprint will start selling a Linksys router during the second half of this year which can turn any Sprint EV-DO card connection into an 802.11g local-area network, according to business marketing program manager Larry Sherrard. The router, which doesn't yet have a model number, will cost "slightly under $200" and won't require any changes in subscribers' service plans, which currently cost $59.99/month for unlimited high-speed access, or $79.99/month for people without a Sprint voice phone.

Several manufacturers, most notably Kyocera, have put EV-DO to Wi-Fi routers on the market. But up until now, those products were shunned by the biggest wireless carriers in the US, who frowned on people sharing out EV-DO connections. Sprint will be selling their Linksys router both online and through retail stores, Sherrard said.

Click here to read more of PC Magazine's coverage of the CTIA show in Las Vegas.

Sprint will also sell an EV-DO USB dongle later this year, according to Sprint spokeswoman Amy Schiska-Lombard. The USB dongle will help owners of laptops like several Apple Powerbook models that don't have PC Card slots. Schiska-Lombard didn't disclose a price or model number for the dongle.

The new EV-DO products are part of a continuing, aggressive EV-DO rollout. Sprint aims to have 190 million people will be covered by Sprint EV-DO at the end of this year, and 100% of its CDMA network covered by EV-DO Rev A by the end of 2007, according to Walker. Rev A raises EV-DO's downlink speeds from 2.4 Mbit/sec to 3.1 Mbit/sec, but more importantly, raises uplink speeds from 153 kbit/sec to 1.8 Mbit/sec and greatly reduces latency. Sprint needs full EV-DO Rev A coverage so they can eventually replace their existing Nextel iDEN network, Walker said. Nextel's unique network technology has an excellent push-to-talk function that can only adequately be copied with Rev A, she said.

By the end of 2008, Sprint will also increase their number of CDMA cell sites by 40 percent, Walker said.

"Not only are we way ahead of Cingular, we're now ahead of Verizon," Sprint chief operating officer Len Lauer said.

EV-DO isn't the end of Sprint's network innovations; the company will also announce their choice of fourth-generation (4G) network technology during the third quarter of this year, according to Lauer. Sprint will deploy their 4G technology on their currently-unused 2.5-GHz national network, which right now covers 85 percent of the households in the nation's top 100 markets, Walker said.

Sprint will use the 4G network for "wireless interactive multimedia," including high-quality video broadcasting, Sprint senior vice president for product development Oliver Valente said. "There will also be, perhaps, a more consumer electronics focus, such as embedding it in cameras … and sort of a cable modem on the go."

2. @TheRealDanny

@TheRealDanny ALL IN

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile USA
    Well at least there making good on their promise to look good at CTIA. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. xenophon

xenophon Member

The increase of CDMA cellsites by 40% is also significant. Sprint currently has 26,000+ CDMA sites and will be adding 10,000+ more on existing Nextel sites. They will have 268million population coverage natively after complete, which is about the same as Cingular. Except Sprint will be 100% EVDO Rev A by then.

4. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Cingular now covers over 273 Million Pops natively.

5. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Sprint looks like they have a bright future ahead and probably get 4G out first (Probably something that uses OFDMA will be the choice in 4G).

6. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I keep watching the local Nextel towers for any signs of new CDMA equipment but so far nothing. Hopefully soon. There are at least 4 Nextel towers within 5 miles of where I live that I'd like to see CDMA added to where Sprint could use some additional coverage.

7. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I would guess that once Nextel Partners is apart of Sprint that will happen :)

8. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    We aren't served by Nextel Partners here. So I don't see the correlation.

9. J.Tiger

J.Tiger New Member

EVDO Router Re: Sprint to expand EVDO 100% network

Summer is almost over, I see no sign of the EVDO router from Sprint. I am luck to make the right decision not to wait for it. I am using the $195 3G Phoebus MB6000 EVDO router in my office. It works perfectly. Here is a cool review for those interested:

http://gearlog.com/blogs/gearlog/arc...4/17/9870.aspx

I only paid $195 for it after signing up Sprint services. Here is the link where I bought it:

http://www.onsale.com/onsale/shop/de...no~7040786.asp