Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint text messaging now works when roaming!

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by larry, Sep 3, 2005.

1. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    About time! This is something we take for granted on GSM.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

But they shouldn't take down so many channels to the point where there is absolutely no analog left to use. That's exactly what they have done even though they're supposed to keep the network useable.

3. cryogenic

cryogenic Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    rub it in, bobolito... just rub it in! :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. cryogenic

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I understand your point... around here, analog is usable for the most part but almost completely unnecessary. Verizon has digital everywhere and there's nowhere I've found that analog can reach and digital can't. It may be different over there, I guess. I have yet to find any need for analog here and would much prefer having a digital-only phone because occasionally my PM-325 will hang onto a 1-bar analog US Cellular signal over a 3-bar Verizon digital signal. :(

5. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

I didn't want to be the first to say this, so thanks Bobolito for stepping up to the plate. :wink:

6. TKR

TKR Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Speaking of FOTA updates, I have yet to see one deployed on the sanyo 2300.

7. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

Analog is necessary to fulfill the roaming agreements that Verizon has signed with other carriers. For example many Sprint phones can only analog roam. For these situations I think Verizon should at least try to keep analog useable. But they have completely let it go in many areas.

8. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Okay Larry, let me try to explain this. In an areas such as urban Southern California, digital service is already in very high demand; there's so many users talking in one place that even though carriers have cellsites spaced so closely they often don't have much room to play with, and I would much rather be able to use my digital phones w/out problems, then have some old guy be able to use his analog phone. I completely respect Verizon to take down analog channels and reallocate them to digital. They have done that, but there's still some capacity for AMPS only, but obviously it's not a lot, and obviously there's still quite a few people using AMPS phones in metro Los Angeles, otherwise the AMPS side wouldn't constantly be busy. I understand the need for digital capacity and Verizon has done a great job building out Southern California, coverage and capacity wise, but I'm not sure if digital might not run into some problems if they allocate too much spectrum for AMPS. While I was down there again just a few weeks ago, I made a lot of calls in AMPS while in Los Angeles and San Diego and only got a few busy signals; it wasn't all that bad where I was. In non-urban areas, I have found AMPS to still be perfectly usable.
    In Utah, for example, I have never had digital or AMPS capacity issues, but that's because the need for capacity is not as high here as it is over there- Verizon can keep more spectrum allocated to AMPS here than they can there.
    Yes, Verizon does have a roaming agreement with Sprint, but it's not Verizon's fault that, until recently, Sprint only sold phones that had an AMPS Roam force mode, not a digital one.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion on this, Larry.

9. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    100% agreed, but once CDMA data roaming comes active with major networks such as VZW data roaming with carriers like Alltel, USCC and Sprint, then they will be a better competitor with GSM on the data side.

10. cryogenic

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    One other take on this would be that Verizon increasing digital capacity also increases the number of their OWN customers they can service in a given area without issues. THAT is what I think is their first priority, not so much fulfilling the roaming agreements. Verizon is doing everything they can to keep their own customers from using the AMPS network at all, thus giving them the ability to "neglect" the AMPS network. Leave a few AMPS channels up because they still are required to until 2008 and for the occasional roamer that can't use the digital network (SPCS customer with a phone that only does CDMA1900 & AMPS850, for example). Outside of that, Verizon's own customer base and thus their digital capacity are going to take highest priority.

11. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    There's no intention to hurt anyone's feelings. I'm just applauding Sprint's efforts since this is a much long overdue service. It's not like CDMA data roaming could not be done in the 90's.

12. though

though New Member

so has anyone figured out if this is a handset-limited feature? i tried on 3 different model sanyo phones today (all on digital roam - alltel) and no go.

13. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It's probably Alltel that doesn't yet allow SMS with Sprint roamers.

14. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    So I have a serious question (unlike all my others which are not :rolleyes: ). A friend is thinking about Sprint recently, and asked my advice. If with sprint, SMS doesn't work when roaming on analog or digital, is it correct to assume that all the other fancy features (multimedia SMS, VM,PC vision, Sprint TV, web browsing) do not work either? He is attracted to these features and is curious now what is real coverage footprint would be (and that allows using these features).

Thanks for the help, in advance.

viewfly

15. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    The only thing that may work while roaming is voice mail. Sometimes, I actually notice better voice mail notification while on analog roam, lol. Nothing else (multimedia SMS. vision, TV etc) will work when roaming.

16. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Yankees368, thanks for the quick reply. I'll pass it on to my friend. He'll need to look at the sprint maps and so on.

viewfly

17. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Voicemail has worked on analog roam since at least 2000 here in parts of CA.

18. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Most Sprint customers don't have to roam since Sprint's network is very good in most areas now. They cover all major metro areas and most connecting highways in between. The fact that Sprint is offering unlimited roaming for only $5/mo extra (in some markets free) tells you that the rate of off network roaming has greatly decreased in the past couple of years.

19. though

though New Member

i just called sprint (dialed 800#) to ask about my plan. i mentioned that my phone can not receive/send while on analog/digital roam and asked if it is a phone problem or network (alltel) problem.... he put me on hold while he called a tech.... came back to say there was a problem with my phone's programming and that it will be working within 4 hours (send/receive text while roaming). when i disconnected from the call my handset said something along the lines of phone is receiving programming update, please wait 1 minute. after about a minute it said update complete. i'll let you know when i am roaming and try it out.....

20. TKR

TKR Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I wonder if he just flagged you for a PRL update, but that does not nomrally take unless you call back to *2. Then again, I think they can actually do a provisionsing thing over the air while you are on call. I did that to un-provision my account/phone for readylink (I do not use it), because I wanted the side key to work for the memo, and not default to a readylink key. The way the 2300 is set up, in order for it to wokrk that way, you have to have no readylink info in the phone. When they did that de-provisioning, my phone "re-booted" as I recall.

What is your PRL version and software version? (under settings, phone info, version)

Larry - do you know of any Sprint phone that has SENT a message while roaming?

21. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    This sounds like more customer service BS. The only way this would or could have helped is if they sent you an OTA PRL update and a roaming partner changed in your market since the version you had before. Not very likely.

22. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes the Treo 650 was both sending and receiving text messages while roaming.

23. though

though New Member

PRL: 10029

software: 1.004SP

text messaging (send/rec) still does not work :(

is there a site or sticky post that lists the latest PRL / software updates for each phone? even better, explaining what was done with each update?

fyi: there is a slash (\) through the up/down arrow at the top of my screen when in digital roam. is that for data/internet/text messaging, saying it will not work?

24. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It probably just won't work on Alltel yet. There's nothing you can do.

25. cryogenic

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    the slash means data is not available in your current area (while roaming, normally).

Here's a list of most recent firmware for all Sprint phones: http://www.pcsintel.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=9#sprint

26. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

Thanks larry for the added information and opinion. I'll pass it along.

27. TKR

TKR Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Does anyone know what changed from 1.003SP to 1.004SP on the VI-2300? Mine is 1.003SP.

Since the phone is set up for FOTA, why does "update phone" not pick up on it? Or in other words, why does Sprint not deploy FOTA on the 2300, given it is capable of such?

28. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Tom my knowledge Sprint has only deployed FOTA on the LG's.

29. though

though New Member

i as well have the sanyo 2300 and it has a "update phone" option.... doesn't seem to do anything when i hit it. will this feature work on this phone in the near future?

30. TKR

TKR Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Sprint is funny sometimes. This is a perfect example. Why bother to mandate and develop a new capabilty in the handsets (in this case FOTA) like they did last year, but then not deploy it?