Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

sprint roaming trouble

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by tdr37373, Oct 4, 2005.

1. tdr37373

tdr37373 New Member

My Phone:
    sanyo vi2300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    sprint
    I'm a Sprint customer with PRL 10029 on my phone. Since this update, I'm roaming on system id #1678 in Morgan and Scott counties in Tn and part of McCreary county in KY. I have almost full signal cut can't complete calls, I get a fast busy signal when trying to call. Can anyone advise who this carrier is, and why it won't work? I used to roam on Verizon in this are with no trouble. I travel this route round trip twice a month and now have a 60 mile gap of unusable service. Thanks.

2. guy2

guy2 Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Some people from what i've heard are having trouble with that prl.I'm having no troubles

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    SID 1678 is Eloqui Wireless. I bet you used to roam on SID 179 with Verizon in the area.
    The problem is not the specific prl, like guy2 suggested, but rather that Sprint and Eloqui have a problem they need to resolve. The newer PRL just prefers Sprint users to use Eloqui's system first, before going to Verizon's network for various reasons- maybe even cost on Sprint's part. The old PRL prefered Verizon's system before looking for anyone else.
    You could try calling customer care and see if they can help.
    Good luck, hope this helped.

4. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    For some reason most Sprint users think they have to update to the latest PRL every time one becomes available. I don't recommend this if everything is already working fine. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it because you never know what Sprint's been messing with to try and save money.

5. I have a friend here that works in knoxville and has a sprint phone and it roams on vzw.. so im guessing she didn't do the PRL. But yeah just to confirm with what someone else said that SID is eloqui. Dunno why they'd have a deal w/ eloqui though other than cost because vzw has the area better covered.

6. Melannk24

Melannk24 New Member

I am new here and I was browsing this thread because I am also having roam problems with Sprint. What is a PRL? I've only been a Sprint customer for 4 months and now I have terrible service. The first month was great, then they announced the merge w/ Nextel and my service went downhill. My phone starting roaming in full coverage areas and now I drop calls all the time. Any suggestions? How do you figure out your SID and PRL? Sorry, to ask so many questions, but I am looking for info! Thanks!!

7. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    First of all the merger with Nextel has not changed anything. The two networks are completely seperate and they haven't done anything that would cause your service to go downhill. Eventually service will get better as more CDMA equipment is added. If your phone is roaming in full coverage areas then there's likely something wrong with the phone. Have you had it tested at a Sprint store? Do you have your phone set to "Sprint only" mode or "automatic" mode?

With that said, the PRL is called: Preferred Roam List. It programs a list of SID's (System Identifications) and roaming partners into the phone so that the phone will know what to look for when searching for a signal. It's very easy to find the PRL version in your phone. What brand and model phone are you using?

#7 larry, Dec 30, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  8. tdr37373

tdr37373 New Member

My Phone:
    sanyo vi2300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    sprint
    Recently switched to a Samsung vi660 and it works fine. Go figure. Now, if there was some way to remove USCC from the prl (coverage sucks around Meigs/McMinn counties) then it would be great!

9. cryogenic

cryogenic Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yeah, Sprint prefers USCC over VZW pretty much everywhere around here and that area is on the fringe of USCC coverage... Thus your coverage on Sprint is going to be pretty spotty. I had Sprint for a couple of years and everytime I went to my friend's house out around Watt Rd. on the lake (Hardin Valley area, more or less) my phone would constantly bounce between USCC and VZW even though VZW could actually hold 1-2 bars everywhere on his property. Switching to Verizon solved that problem. :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. beach08

beach08 New Member

I see above that Larry indicates the merger has nothing to do with the roaming problem. SOMETHING HAS CHANGED>>>I have been a Sprint customer for several years and have never experience ROAMING PROBLEMS...THAT IS UNTIL APPROXIMATELY 3 TO 4 MONTHS AGO... I have 3 phones on my account and all 3 phones are experiencing the same problem.... So if the something is wrong with the phone....how can all 3 at the same time have something wrong... I believe it is SPRINT... My daughter took her phone to SPRINT STORE last night and the sales rep told her...the problem is that our phones are old
    (S8100 and S8200) ????? and technology has changed....this is redicoulous

11. guy2

guy2 Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Have you called into get them to flag your account for a prl update?

12. beach08

beach08 New Member

No, this is the 1st of have heard of a PRL list. and honestly I would think SPRINT would update this automatically and not wait until there are problems.

I'll be the 1st to admit I am not a cell techy, but how would a lay person know that a PRL existed and why should they have to ? Not trying to be saracastic just curious as to why the customer has to research why all the sudden the service has changed...

13. guy2

guy2 Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sprint doesn't do this automatically .You have to call in and ask for your acct.
    to be flagged for a prl update.You will then have to call back in and it will say we have noticed that an update to your service is needed and to wait until the update is finished to hang up.You will then have the latest prl(roaming list).

14. guy2

guy2 Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    How old are your phones?

15. beach08

beach08 New Member

About 15 months...I did search for my PRL , it is 10029 per my phone info
    The other problem is service in and out- My phone is sitting on my desk in the same exact spot and all day goes to looking for service, then ok, then back to looking or digital roam???

Thanks for helping

16. jjdu42

jjdu42 Junior Member

Well Larry is right! The networks haven't changed from the Merger of Sprint/Nextel. They are COMPLETELY 2 different networks. I'm not sure whats going on in your particular case but it's not because your phones are outdated. Updating your PRL MIGHT help the problem but your not gonna be able to update your prl while roaming. You will need to be in Sprint native coverage to update. Are you getting poor service everywhere in your home town or just one particular spot that you used to get good service? If its in one spot Sprint could have just readjusted that particular sight.......not sure though

17. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If your phone is 15 months old there's no way it could have PRL 10029 unless you had it updated at a store or OTA (over the air). 10029 is only about 5 or 6 months old. The latest version now is 10031. Remember that a PRL typically won't change anything except a few roaming agreements every now and then. It won't improve your service on the Sprint network. In very rare cases a PRL can become corrupt and getting a fresh version could solve a reception problem. But that's a long shot.