Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint Roaming on Verizon Disallowed in SoCal?

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by CellGeek, Sep 26, 2008.

1. CellGeek

CellGeek Sprint is the BOMB!

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Is there anyone here on WA that has the capability to read and understand the information that is contained in a PRL? I live in Southern California, and with PRL 60613, I believe that roaming on Verizon's Network has been eliminated. Following is my reasoning:

When in various shopping malls in Orange County and Los Angeles County, (South Coast Plaza, Ontario Mills Mall, and Pasadena Mall) my phone may go into roaming mode in certain areas of these malls. When my phone goes into roaming mode, I am not ever able to make a phone call. When this problem occurs, I call 611 and get the Metro PCS jingle "Hello, Hello, Hello, welcome to Metro PCS". Metro PCS is not a roaming partner for Sprint and therefore I am not able to make a call.

Why doesn't my phone try to roam on Verizon when it can't get a Sprint signal? Why is it roaming over to Metro PCS in all of these cases when it can't get a Sprint Signal. Yes it is set to "Automatic Roaming" mode and there is no way to force roaming on this particular phone. The phone is a BlackBerry 8830 and it is also set to CDMA only mode because the phone is capable of doing either CDMA or GSM.

It is my belief that Sprint has disallowed roaming on Verizon's network in Southern California. Is there anyone with contacts or the technical wherewithal to either substantiate or deny this claim? :confused:

Thanks,

-jim

2. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    I believe all of Socal VzW was removed from the last few Sprint PRL's and Metro is Negged. I don't know exactly why this change was implemented, but I'd wager it has to due with cutting costs.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Verizion is still a roaming partner with Sprint. My Rumor has the latest non-evdo PRL and roams on Verizon just like always. I can test this by using the force roaming option.

4. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    PRL number?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ace41690

ace41690 Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Hero
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I find it sad that metro has service where sprint doesnt. Considering they're both 1900, and metro is brand new where as sprint must be atleast 10 years old!

6. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    prl 50511.

7. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yeah that's puzzling because I know the locations that Jim mentioned well and Metro doesn't have nearly as many towers as Sprint does. So unless they are somehow able to put up microcells inside malls (which seems unlikely for a brand new carrier to this market) that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

8. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Cool, I'll have to see what PRL I'm using and compare it.

9. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    As far as I know 50511 is still current.

10. chokaay

chokaay Junior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

This response may be a bit late, but I just wanted to add that I'm using PRL 60613 since July 2008, and in certain parts of South Coast Plaza (as well as other parts of SoCal) my phone also roams on another carrier (not sure which one(s) though).

However, unlike your experience, I AM able to send/receive calls, text messages, etc, when my phone is roaming on another carrier in SoCal (including in South Coast Plaza). In fact, in my 6+ months with Sprint, I haven't had any problems while roaming on another carrier in SoCal. I haven't tried the other 2 malls you listed, but I find it's strange that 2 smartphones with the same PRL can have 2 different results during the same time period. :confused: