Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint Roaming on MetroPCS in Socal

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by CellGeek, Jul 7, 2008.

1. CellGeek

CellGeek Sprint is the BOMB!

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I was in the Banana Republic store in South Coast Plaza Mall (Costa Mesa California) this weekend and attempted to place a call. The call did not go through and I got a message that said "LA 02". I dialed 611 and got "hello, hello, hello, welcome to MetroPCS".

If there was no Sprint signal in that store, why didn't my phone roam on to Verizon? Is there also no Verizon signal in the Banna Republic store in South Coast Plaza? Does MetroPCS have a cell site inside of South Coast Plaza? Is there a reason that the signal from MetroPCS in stronger than Sprint and Verizon in South Coast Plaza? My PRL is 60612 and the phone is a Blackberry 8830. It is not possible for force roaming on the Blackberry. My phone is set to "automatic roaming" mode.

Interesting! :confused:

2. CellGeek

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Note that about a month ago, I had an identical experience at Ontario Mills Mall in Ontario California. It really makes me wonder if MetroPCS is setting up cell sites inside of shopping malls.

3. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Interesting. I have never had any problems inside of South Coast Plaza with my phone going into roaming. I can't say for sure that I've ever been into Banana Republic there.

Does the Blackberry 8830 have 850 Mhz roaming capabilities or is it a 1900 Mhz only phone? I can't easily check online somewhere but thought you might know for sure.

4. CellGeek

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    From blackberry Specification:

Dual-band 900/1800 Mhz GSM/GPRS networks
    Dual-band 800/1900 Mhz CDMA2000 1X Ev-DO networks

5. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I wish I could give you an answer but I have yet to land on Metro PCS and don't even know of any spots where I could automatically go into roaming to test it out around here. When I force roaming I still get Verizon. My phone has the PRL 50511 series.

6. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    Metro and Cricket have used a ton of DAS units to cover Malls internally verus a Cell Tower outside so its possible you got into some sort of void and hopped on their network. Depends on the order of precedence in the PRL.

In my Experience just as an example, I have a PCS tower that is right across from a mall and when I get deep into the mall my phone will handoff to a 850 tower that is a couple of miles away. Having a tower next to a mall isnt always a guarentee it will completely cover the entire area.

7. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Good point. I know Sprint usually prefers to place a tower next to malls rather than to try to put up microcells inside. I guess they figure if it works in 80% to 90% of the mall inside it's good enough. As for the mall in question here (South Coast Plaza) Sprint happens to have a cell site right on the roof of one of the department stores (3333 Bristol St.) so you'd think that would be sufficient.

8. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Based on their consumers, that's a fitting strategy and probably helps balance their sites and congestion.

How are the DASs setup? Is it one base station with long cable runs to antennas spread out, or just an antenna system in one area aimed at each section of the mall?

9. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I had always heard before that it was difficult to get approval for DAS systems inside malls. Since Metro is so new here in the LA market I'm wondering how they were able to do it so quickly. Assuming that's what's happened. I know Sprint has some DAS systems or repeaters inside a few malls like one in Cerritos and one in Canoga Park but they usually prefer a traditional cell site next to the mall or on the roof of a nearby building.

10. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I refuse to acknowledge being off topic when the subject is Sprint roaming on MetroPCS of all things, so I'll go ahead and post this interesting read: Atlanta Airport DAS. Fiber based DAS with 700+ antennas...

11. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Too bad LAX Airport doesn't have that system.