Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint Reception along I-80? Chyenne -> Omaha

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by Studogvetmed, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Studogvetmed

Studogvetmed Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Sanyo-6650 (Katana II)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    As far as I can see Sprint has absolutely no native coverage along I-80 across Nebraska. I new this going in, but was told by a few people that they still had decent use of their sprint phones across Nebraska... I have also heard the opposite now from 1 person so it's 2-1 for being able to roam with decent phone use to Lincoln/Omaha.

Can I hear any real term use from anyone? I'm taking a trip this friday towards Iowa (Cedar Rapids Area) and wonder how optomistic I should be along I-80. I wish we were making the trip sooner in our trial period, but that couldn't be helped, and even if it's less than stellar, I don't know if better reception along I-80 would have beat out 6pm nights... I might have with me, but not with my wife, who the phone is really for, the fact that we did a family plan that I can play two is more a toy for me anyway...

Thanks for any thoughts

Stuart

2. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    Stuart,
    Sprint native signal is available well west of Grand Island, but from there westward you get excellent digital roaming (assuming a dual-band phone). Coverage on either Sprint or roaming covers 100% of I-80 in NE! Vision may not be available in all areas.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Studogvetmed

Studogvetmed Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo-6650 (Katana II)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Thank you.
    Wow, Grand Island. You wouldn't assume that looking at the coverage map, but it is a little difficult to read and to find those regional coverage maps in the buisness part of sprint website is challenging to say the least.

Thanks for fueling my optimism. If we are lucky we'll pick up a native signal from Cedar Rapids or Waterloo towers in Podunk Olin, IA.

Now if only Sprint would put up a tower in Rapid City, SD, they'd have me sold 100%.

Cheers,
    Stu

4. Gman

Gman Senior Member

My Phone:
    Epic 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The $5 roaming option is well worth it and is a no brainer to stop worrying about roaming . It is included with many of the new plans as you might know already.

5. Studogvetmed

Studogvetmed Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo-6650 (Katana II)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Thanks for that. I'm not so concerned about the cost of roaming as how "well" it will roam. The plan I have has roaming included (though I found the fine print, no more than 50% of home usage...) Also being on native service will be nice, especially if my wife and I travel separately as our mobile to mobile only apply on network.

Cheers,
    Stu

6. Studogvetmed

Studogvetmed Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo-6650 (Katana II)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Update

On our recent trip along I-80, we picked up native sprint service about 5-10 miles outside of Kearny Nebraska and kept it all the rest of the way along 80.

When ended up without native service in our Destination of "Olin" IA, but could get a relatively decent digital roam signal, though the signal could be confused if you didn't stand in one place as it would occasionally try to pick up an analog roam signal. Olin is in a flood plain, so if you actually got out of town you found yourself picking up native service a mile outside of town easy, probably from Cedar Rapids.

Service was decent along Hwy 30 towards Ames, until you were well outside of Cedar Rapids (not sure the mileage out of town), where I had a call get dropped (going into dips in the hwy), but after about 5 miles of this, native service dropped out and digital roaming was picked up the rest of the way at perceived full strength to Marshalltown IA where native service was picked back up.

Sprint gets a B+ on the trip across nebraska and our frequented areas of Iowa. The only part in Nebraska that is a little off is between PineBluffs wyoming and the interchange between I-80 and I-76, signal could be weak in most places up to that interchange. From that point on, smooth sailing with only one call being dropped.

Cheers,
    Stu

7. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Re: Update

Thanks for the report on Nebraska. I've often wondered how the coverage was along that stretch. I believe it's controlled by an affiliate and not Sprint corporate.

8. though

though New Member

the previous poster is correct, sprint service is solid from 10 miles west of kearney all the way east throughout the state (along I-80). west of kearney, is digital roam all the way to the colorado border (i dont think sprint is picked up again 'til denver).

troy

9. Studogvetmed

Studogvetmed Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo-6650 (Katana II)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Not sure if you take 76, but if you stay on 80 to wyoming you pick up sprint just before Chyenne.