Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint rebate program changed

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by larry, Jul 7, 2005.

1. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The old 18 month $150 rebate program has been discontinued. Now we can get $75 after 12 months or $150 after 24 months. I personally like this better since I don't want to keep my phone for longer than 12 months. On August 1st I become eligible for the $75 rebate. :) Not as good as $150 but at least I'll get something back.

2. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    That doesn't sound like too bad of a deal. If you only sign up for a year, then you get $75 back.

Larry, why did Sprint get rid of the old rebate program?

Did a lot of people complain about it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lordsutch

lordsutch Member

Actually, it's even better... at corporate stores, the rebates are instant (and will be at resellers later this year). And, in the 12-23 month period, you can get an additional $75 rebate (mail-in) on "select phones," so you can get $150 total after 12 months instead of 18!

As to why they changed the program... beats me, but I'm not going to complain. I think I'll wait until 4Q to see the EV-DO selection before I change phones, though (both the MM-545 and MM-A940 look promising).

4. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Yes, the new rebate program is so much better now. :) I though I heard of some other changes with add-ons, like Vision & RL.

5. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Oh i like this better, no more waiting for 18 months, i get bored with phones pretty quickly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Since I qualify for the $75 rebate on August 1 I'm going to wait until then to get my new phone.

7. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

you know i lost track of when my contract date ends, need to call Sprint to see what i qualify for...

8. lordsutch

lordsutch Member

9. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Thanks Chris, yes i know about that, it was just a figure of speech....thanks anyways... ;) :)

10. lordsutch

lordsutch Member

Ah... don't mind me then ;)

Actually, though, it's been updated so you know exactly what you're eligible for and when (except the $75 MIR on select phones isn't mentioned... I guess they want to leave that to the reps to up-sell when you get to the store!).

11. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

good point, yes it seems like it, thanks for the update Chris... :)

12. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    So Tony are you gonna join me and downgrade to an LG PM-225?

13. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I was always told the 75$ was always available. So I don't see the big deal. I fail to see how one can earn the 75$ after 1 year, then another $75 after the 12th month (the 12-23 month preiod Chris explained). That doesn't make any sense.

The program sucks still sucks, but then most companies suck majorly on 1 years. Most people get 2 year contracts and now have to wait the full contract length pretty much. Verizon's NE2 is still the best 2 year deal. Sub phone pricing (at least 100 off) and an additional $100, makes some really decent phones for free. A decent Sprint phone is consistantly 50$ more than at Verizon/Cingular.

At least I can sell my Cingular phone and get my money back and get something unlocked, then sell it etc. A vicious cycle, but it doesn't cost much for a brand new phone! Will Sprint still have the lame ' activate another phone EVEN at unsubsidized pricing....and there goes your upgrade' BS?

14. lordsutch

lordsutch Member

The $75 might have been available to folks with high MRC or something, but it wasn't advertised.

Here are the two plans (for 2-year contract renewals): $75 instant rebate if you've had your phone 12-23 months, and $150 instant rebate if you've had it 24+ months.

But, if you're in the $75 "zone," you can get an additional $75 mail-in rebate on 5 "select" phones, which apparently change periodically--I think there's a couple of low-end phones, a couple of midrange phones (i.e. with cameras), and one MM-class phone. So, if the phone you want is one of the "select" phones, you can get $150 off (75 instant, 75 mail-in) six months earlier; if not, you have to wait six more months for the full $150 (which will be instant).

Don't forget you can usually also get a bill credit for trading in your old phone (although you may get more $$ on eBay, depending on the model).

Of course, NE2 is nice, but you're probably going to have a higher MRC on Verizon for the same minutes and features--which is why they are more generous with the rebates; they're probably gonna get more cash out of you over the contract.

15. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    As far as I know the $75 rebate was never offered for a 12 month phone upgrade. Are you confusing that with the $75 rebate that was offered after 18 months and for renewing a contract for one year? It was $150 rebate for a 2 year contract renewal but only $75 for a one year renewal. Both were after 18 months of using the same phone. Now we can get a deal after only 12 months.

16. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Cruz on several occasions mentioned $75 after a 1 year finished to get another 1 year. I dunno if he's right, but he said it.

Chris, I understand now. That's pretty cool actually! That way they can move phones they want gone much quicker while giving some deals. So I guess information on ESN swaping isn't known. Activating another phone shouldn't affect one's deal.

Sprint's phones are still very expensive in the mid-range region (the 8300 isn't even as nice as a v551 imo), and Cingular is as well. Cingular needs to give people more incentives IMO. Sub pricing after 22-24 months isn't that great. Luckily my account is messed up and it looks like I'll get an upgrade in May 2006 :)