Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

SOUTH U.S. -- Sprint Problems with Samsung A900 Cell Phone

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by dquintana, May 12, 2010.

1. dquintana

dquintana New Member

My parents, my sister, and I each have a Samsung A900 cell phone which we have had for several years and all of our contracts have expired and we are paying month to month for the same service. Over the last year or so we have all had trouble with our phones at the same time. We all live in the same service area and our cell phones all lose their battery power within hours of a full charge and we are unable to call out when our cell phones are charged. We all live within one block of each other. Last year we took all the phones in to a service center and they told us we needed the updated software and they installed it for us. Less than a year later we are having the same problems. It is not the batteries because we have purchased new batteries. My brother also has a family plan with the same carrier, Sprint, and he lives a block away from us also and he has no problems with his phones. He is still on a 2 year contract. MY QUESTION IS: Is this programmed obsolescence? Are the Sprint Cell phone updates causing the problems to make us get a new phone and commit to a new 2 year contract? My sister works for Verizon and we are seriously thinking of all switching to Verizon if this problem can't be corrected. We have had the phones for 1 to 4 years and started having problems beginning last year.

2. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    There is no way that the phones are programmed to kill them self after a few years. I had an A900 myself several years back, and found the battery life, even when new, to be terrible. I would recommend that you all update and get newer phones. They do not have to be new from sprint, but you can buy a used phone from craigslist or ebay. The A900 is a terrible phone, really.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dquintana

dquintana New Member

I have replaced the batteries on the three phones at different times and the phones work fine, but they all seem to go out at the same time like clockwork. This evening two of the phones rang with different calls from different phone numbers, but neither phone would answer the call. When the Talk button was pressed, the phones just kept ringing, while the batteries still showed half full.

4. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I'd recommend moving away from Samsung phones period. The problems you're running into are symptomatic with Samsung mid to low level phones. Samsung phones have some of the worst RF signal quality around (almost as bad as Kyocera). Had a Samsung once, worst phone I've ever owned. Never again with them. Your situation is just another reminder why.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I am not a fan of Samsung either. Bad RF as Mobile Mike said. I had the a900 a few years ago, probably the same time as Yankees did. I thought the battery life was bad at the time as well. The phone ended up losing all RF signal which made it drop calls and switch to Verizon a lot. Sprint replaced it with a gray razor, which was worse (for me anyway). Go grab a few phones off ebay. Maybe the Motorola VE20 or something a year old, they can be had for $40. That way you are still contract-free.

6. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yep, probably. Remember, the A900 was replaced after a few months with the A900M, which was basically a major hardware revision. The phone went from a metal back cover to plastic, fixed bluetooth, but everything else remained poor. Sprint eventually gave me a Motorola Krzr, which, like your situation airb, even worse!

7. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The VE20's typically go for $60 to $90 new in box on ebay when they come up. I bought three of them recently at a steal and plan to resell them soon.

By the way I have never had any issues with Samsung phones. They have all worked great although I haven't used any recently. I got my mom an M300 flip and it works fine. The only phone I remember as having poor RF was my old StarTac 7867 circa 2001.

8. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):

That's funny, because I have the opposite feeling about Samsung. The a460 was a reception nightmare, the A900/M was poor as well.

9. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I never used either of those. I went right to the a500 from my Kyocera 2255. Then the a680. After that it was all LG for me.

10. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Larry,

That's interesting about the VE20, do you like it? I just bought one for my mom to replace her razor (the one I talked about earlier). I figured for $37 it couldn't be too bad!

I generally find Sprint "dumb" phones to be a steal on Ebay. I will certainly be using that line as another upgrade for my partner or I in the future. Why get a 'free' M300 or some cheap phone with a 2 year contract when a better phone slightly used is $30-$50?

11. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It's pretty decent overall except I don't care for the silver color that much. Too bad it didn't come in charcoal or navy instead. I like the keyboard, the camera and it is very fast when navigating through the menus. They got rid of the more sluggish performance found on previous Razr's. I don't care for the way the flip moves a little bit from side to side when the phone is closed. I might keep one of my three as a backup and sell the other two on ebay soon.

12. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    As much as some of us may want our phones to last for years and years, the honest truth is that most of them are probably not made to withstand more than 2-3 years of "normal" use before things start breaking down.

How many times since these phones were purchased have they been dropped? Phones can withstand being dropped a few times, but over time all those drops will add up and internal components can fail. The A900 is 3 or 4 years old. I have a simliarly aged Sanyo Katana that my daughter uses. I have noticed it just is not working as well as it once did (though the Katana was a much better phone than the A900 ever was).

Yankees...funny you bring up the A460. To this day, that is still the worst phone I have ever owned.

I think Samsung has improved a lot recently. The Reclaim is a good phone, the Rant was very popular, the Exclaim is decent, and I really like the Samsung Moment.

1 person likes this.
  13. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The A460 was a turd, but also my first Sprint phone. Also, it is still today, to me, a fantastic looking phone!

[​IMG]

14. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Back in the days when just about all flips were silver.