Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint Problem

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by ChaosThyre81, Jun 14, 2007.

1. ChaosThyre81

ChaosThyre81 Member

Hello,

For the last two weeks, my phone goes from searching for service, to having a signal, to going back to searching for service. It's default channel is 450, and it keeps bouncing from 450 to 500 constantly. Normally at home it always stayed on channel 450, and sometimes when I dialed out it would switch to another channel. I called Sprint and there are no issues in the area. Friends of mine with sprint arent getting calls and when they dial out, it takes a while to connect. When I dial out it usually takes forever to connect and my phone misses 90% of the calls when people call me, when I call my phone it rings 4 times and goes to voicemail. I'm not sure what the deal is? Any thoughts? My brother lives with me and has a new Katana and his switches channels constantly, too.

2. PCSuser

PCSuser Senior Member

My Phone:
    PPC-6700 w/ WM6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS - happily holding crystal clear calls!
    You probably are going to have to go into your phone settings and put it to 'Sprint Only'.

Also try dialing *18 for a tower resync - that helped me out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ChaosThyre81

ChaosThyre81 Member

My phone is set to sprint only. *18 doesn't do anything when I dial it?

4. ace41690

ace41690 Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Hero
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    This exact problem happened to my MM7400. It was only a matter of time before it couldnt find a signal at all. The techs couldnt figure out what was wrong with it and i had to get a replacement. I think your phones probably done for dude. Maybe thats not what happened though since you said your friends are having the same problem. Are you having the problem everywhere or can you pinpoint it to one specific tower? Perhaps the towers busted.

5. ChaosThyre81

ChaosThyre81 Member

It's the worst at home, at my parents house it's pretty stable and other places it does the same thing. It's weird. My bro's new Katana does the same thing at my place.

6. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    If more than one phone is all of a sudden experiencing problems in a certain area then it has to be a network/tower issue. Call Sprint and have them open a trouble ticket, even if they say there are no outages in your area.

7. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    *18 does absolutely NOTHING but turn on the ability to receive incoming calls when roaming (*180 is the toggle to turn incoming calls off when roaming). It's leftover from the old follow me roaming days back in the 90's.

Why does this urband legend/myth of *18 doing a tower resync (whatever that means LOL!) keep popping up after all these years even though it never had any basis to begin with? If you study CDMA phones and technology and know how it really works you can't help but find these things silly and ridiculous.

8. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sounds like you might be on or near an NID/SID border. That is the no. 1 cause of calls not coming in as well as channel bouncing.

9. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Cause people are not educated.

10. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Haha, agreed. I don't even know where people pull *18 from these days...Are there techs that actually advise people to do this or do people just stumble over this information somewhere and think it works?

11. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I know that Sprint store reps would always tell customers that if they got a PRL update it would improve their reception. Back in 1998 when I was an uneducated customer I actually bought into that crap.

12. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Oh same with Verizon. You call their CS with the address and exact sector of a cell site that is malfunctioning and their response is that the reason why you are experiencing this is because you don't have the latest PRL...bla bla...you call them and complain about something, their response ALWAYS is "Update your PRL."

13. rosenthalliou

rosenthalliou Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS

haha that's funny cause it's so true

14. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    *18 hahaha... It's like Verizon always telling me that *228 would fix all of my service problems. HA!

15. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Dialing any code is never going to help with service problems.

16. ChaosThyre81

ChaosThyre81 Member

Does the phone has a primary and secondary channel from which it can choose? How does it pick which one to choose? Up until 2 weeks ago I didn't have this problem. While driving thru Ohio I had this problem but once I powered the phone off then back on it was fine. It was always on channel 450 at home, and sometimes while calling out, it would switch to a different channel. My brothers phone used to always be on channel 500, but now it bounces between 475 and 500 and misses calls like my phone. Weird.

17. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well when my phone gets service is usually jumps channels a bunch fo times before it settles on one.........

*18 has helped me.........incoming calls werent going..........friends would try to call me on my cell and it would go right to vmail even if my phone was on........friends would call my house and by like "yo wats up?!?!?!" then i did the *18 and incoming calls just started working again........maybe i just needed to make an outgoing call to be recognized again on the tower but since *18 is so blan i dont see why i shouldnt use it :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...