Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint or Verizon in Orlando?

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by yuvgotmel, Dec 29, 2004.

1. yuvgotmel

yuvgotmel New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS
    Hi,

I currently have ATTWS. I am looking for another wireless carrier.

Can anyone give me the pros and cons and tell me how well the coverage and service is for Sprint PCS and/or Verizon Wireless in the following cities;

1) Orlando, FL

2) Winston-Salem, NC

2. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Sprint and Verizon both have strong PCS networks in Florida. Verizon has a good Cellular network in Winston Salem, Sprint should be just as good also. Every provider always has a weak spot in every market so, I would take them on a 15 day trial to see if one is a little better for you.
    Another thing to look at is mobile to mobile. What wireless provider do you receive calls or dial to a mobile phone? You might want to pick the same provider that you get use out of mobile to mobile for calls.

3. AHDuke99

AHDuke99 New Member

My Phone:
    RAZR V3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, the New AT&T
    verizon is very strong here in winston, along with alltel. cingular isn't bad either. I haven't used Sprint, however.

4. AL904a

AL904a Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo Pro700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW & Sprint, & "the carrier fka Cingular"
    Our survey of Florida wireless users at Wireless-Florida gives Verizon the highest grades in both Customer Service and Coverage. While this survey has a small number of responses, I believe those responses come from pretty savy users.

I personally have used both Verizon and Sprint around the state, and have found both to have good coverage.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I have to agree with everyone about FL. Both, Sprint and Verizon are quite strong, even though I have found VZW to have an edge coverage wise in Flordia. I have had no problems visiting the Orlando area.
    I have no experience about the Winston-Salem Area.

6. SQFreak

SQFreak Moto's Not So Bad Anymore

My Phone:
    Motorola Q9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    As a Winston-Salem resident (part-time - the other half of the year is spent in Davidson, NC, near Charlotte), I'm amazed to see so many posts on Winston!

Verizon Wireless is far superior to Sprint PCS in Winston-Salem. Since you mention the small town by name, I'm going to assume some knowledge of geography of the area. Most of Lasater Rd. north of Peace Haven Rd. is completely dead for Sprint PCS while VZW provides reliable service all over the area. Lewisville is completely dead for Sprint PCS, while VZW has just a dead spot on the west side of Shallowford Rd. about a mile north of the Styers Ferry Rd. intersection. Sprint PCS indoor coverage leaves something to be desired, which is especially noticable in the Hanes Mall area. Sprint PCS also shows signs of an oversold network. I usually have to call my friends on SPCS 3 or 4 times for their phone to ring at all. The best networks in Winston-Salem are:
    1. Verizon Wireless
    2. Alltel
    3. Cingular
    4. Sprint PCS
    5 (tie). AT&T Wireless/SunCom Wireless
    5 (tie). Cricket

Alltel works fine and roams on Verizon outside Alltel coverage, but Verizon's sound quality is better in the Triad.

Sprint PCS, shockingly, is dead along US-421 from Wilkes County on, even in Boone. I cannot recommend them to any traveler in the area. I can recommend Cingular to travelers who stay on major roads, and Alltel and VZW to anyone in the area.

I had no trouble with VZW in Orlando, but I wasn't there for very long. My experience was that VZW was better than SPCS, but VZW will roam on SPCS in all of Florida should VZW not be available.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Cingular GSM User

Hey I live in Daytona Beach area and my dad commutes to Orlando EVERYday for work and to see family.

He had Verizon and had to dump them cuase of constant Analog Roam or No Service. And more than expected (from all the POSITIVE CHEERLEADING OF VERIZON) dropped calls. Analog was usually the best service He ever got from Verizon (and the Analog was from AT&T Wireless)

He is now with Sprint and always have home service and barley any roam. Also very few dropped calls and no static.

I would definatly go with Sprint PCS

8. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Haven't had any problems with either in Orlando. I personally would rather have Verizon due to a more generous upgrade program with a 1 year contract. Verizon kinda stunk in Miami, but so did ATT...so whatever.

9. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular user with the kind of problems you had it is likely that it was your phone. VZW's Flordia network is in general said to be one of the best built out networks. Also, they generally performed best during the hurricanes from what reports say.

10. yuvgotmel

yuvgotmel New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS
    Hey,

I would like to thank everyone for their responses to my original post.

My primary use for the phone will be in Orlando, FL. However, I wanted to know about Winston-Salem as well since it is my home town and I travel there yearly to visit family.

I was leaning more towards Sprint because their plans are cheaper. Money is an issue. But I was told by a friend to look at Verizon because of better coverage and customer service.

To the poster that detailed the areas of Winston-Salem…the only area that I would travel to that you mention is the Hanes Mall area. Thanx for the cell phone carrier rankings and the detailed areas.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone here in Orlando that has Sprint. That's why I posted the question online.

Thanks again to everyone! :)

11. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    That is correct.

Unfortunately, the coverage for Verizon in my local two county area (both home and college campus) isn't the best built out network. But I read in our local paper that Verizon is going to build a serious upgrade for coverage and capacity in my five county area by the end of 2005. :)

12. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Does anyone think that Verizon will have the same or more coverage than Sprint in Florida someday??

13. Gamer03

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I don't know.

Someday they might....in my city, some areas Sprint has better coverage than Verizon...and others areas the opposite is true. :rolleyes:

14. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    But doesn't VZW allow Free Roaming on Sprint in all of FL and Alltel as well?

15. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    That's good to hear; you will have to keep us updated ;)

16. Mike

Mike Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular
    Why are you leaving AT&T? With the merger you could switch to Cingular and get both the old AT&T network and the Cingular Network. I know Cingular is fine in Orlando, and I thought they pretty well had North Carolina taken care of coverage wise. You will get roll over with Cingular which may help your budget.

I gave up on Sprint here in Tampa as I could not use the phone in my house while most of the other carriers had strong signals there.

As mentioned earlier, do you call friends, family on their cell phones often? If so, go with what they have and be sure you have the free mobile to mobile option set up, as that will save on your anytime minutes. My daughter and her husband are on Cingular in Orlando and we talk all the time using the M2M feature, and during all the hurricanes, we never lost contact or connections.

17. SQFreak

My Phone:
    Motorola Q9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    1) AT&T Wireless's network and customers in North Carolina are being given to SunCom Wireless.
    2) Cingular Wireless's network in the Triad (the metro area where Winston-Salem is located) is astoundingly awful. I know of one person that still has Cingular, and he had it locked in from an old contract in New Jersey before he moved here. They're not so bad if you're just driving through, but if you live here, there are tons of holes, dead spots and other major problems. (They're quite good elsewhere in the Carolinas though, just not the Triad. They've completely forgotten about us here in the Triad since they changed their name BellSouth Mobility DCS. And North Mecklenburg County is much worse than here, and that's just 20 miles from the largest city in the Carolinas.)

18. yuvgotmel

yuvgotmel New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS
    Hey Mike,

It's a little complicated. I don't have a choice as far as leaving AT&T. I have a Winston-Salem cell phone number. AT&T Wireless was bought out by SunCom Wireless in North Carolina. In other words, Cingular will not own AT&T Wireless when that transfer is complete.

I spoke with SunCom twice. They won't allow me to be a customer because I live outside of their coverge area. They are only in 4 states. Florida ain't one of them. At any rate, I would have to switch to another company regardless. I was told that I gotta go.

I’ve had that number for the last 4 years. ATTWS allowed me to do that under their southeast regional plan. I don’t have any intentions of changing to a Florida number as Cingular suggested. I use the phone primarily to call family & friends in Carolina and they call me. Sprint and Verizon said that I can keep my number if I switch to them.

I have a friend here in Orlando that raves about all the rollover minutes that she has accrued with Cingular. However, she has trouble using the cell phone inside her house.

I'm in holding with Cingular for the time being. I am not happy with their customer service. But I had thought just before I read your post that perhaps I should look at them one more time before making a final decision.

The majority of the people that I call on their cells have Sprint. I guess I would save on M2M with Sprint.

I did have trouble using my cell phone during one of the hurricanes. But it was so brief. I don't know if it's anything to complain about. I’ve been very satisfied with AT&T Wireless. I'm sorry to see them go.

Thanks for the post :)

19. SQFreak

My Phone:
    Motorola Q9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Perhaps that's why she has so many rollover minutes. I had over 2000 rollover minutes when I left Cingular. And I was on a Home 150 plan.

20. chris4434

chris4434 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR D&G Gold
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, Sprint PCS (cancelled), T-Mobile
    I travel to winston salem and boone NC yearly. I had cingular about 5 months ago and had NO signal the entire time i was there. The only place i had a signal at was in boone, and it was a very weak signal. I also had Tmobile at the time and they had no signal anywhere. I now have sprint and havent been to NC since switching to them, but you should be covered. As long as you get the roaming option your signal should be very good all around NC. Take a look at the Sprint map for NC. You will have coverage in the dark green, light green, and tan areas as long as you have the $5 roaming option.

[​IMG]

21. chris4434

chris4434 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR D&G Gold
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, Sprint PCS (cancelled), T-Mobile
    Here is a NC coverage map from verizon so you can compare the two. You will have coverage in the dark and light blue places on this map.

[​IMG]

22. SQFreak

My Phone:
    Motorola Q9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    That map is actually inaccurate.
    The area of NW NC that's marked as analog is digital now. Carolina West Wireless finished their conversion in April.

Cingular actually does have coverage in Winston-Salem and Boone. T-Mobile roams on Cingular and AT&T Wireless/SunCom Wireless. (In most areas, it's SunCom preferred over Cingular.) It sounds like your phones weren't set up correctly. Sprint PCS does NOT have coverage in Boone. It is roaming coverage there, I think on Carolina West preferred. No features will work. Don't expect much from Sprint roaming coverage except the ability to make calls.

Boone wasn't in the question, though. Sprint PCS's coverage area in the Carolinas is very pathetic, but they do cover Winston-Salem, which was asked. They've just got some problems, especially in the western areas of the city and metro area.

23. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

Those Maps are great in NC
    How about coverage map in Orlando, FL

24. yuvgotmel

yuvgotmel New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS
    My neighbor said he problems when he switched from Verizon to Sprint. He said that he trouble making calls and kept getting a message that all circuits were busy. He complained that the network was overloaded. He switched back to Verizon within the trial period.

Has anyone else in Orlando experienced this problem on a continuous basis?

25. Gamer03

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I will Andy. I'll post another message once I hear about the completion of the upgrade. :)

26. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It's very rare to get an all circuits busy on Sprint. In over 7 years as a customer I have only had that happen two or three times total.

27. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Larry,
    can you make a generalization like that? Circuit busies are definitely area dependant. For example, I had lots of Circuit busies on T-Mobile here in SLC, but never had that happen in Cali.

28. Mike

Mike Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular
    I wasn't aware your number was from North Carolina. We have a cabin in Western NC (Waynesville address, behind the mountain from Maggie Valley) and I know coverage there is not like flat Florida. We have to drive down the mountain about 1 mile before we get to a clearing to see I-40 and get a signal.

I don't know how they give as good a coverage there as they do with all the mountain peaks. It does not matter which carrier, they all have the same problem and the NIMBY is strong there as they don't want to clutter the view of the mountains with cell phone towers. When there is a signal both Cingular and Verizon work great, usually about the same time as one of the things they have done there is require the cellular companies to share towers instead of each putting up their own. If I did live up there full time I would consider one of those external antenna / repeaters in the cabin to see if that would help.

Good luck in your search and keeping your number.