Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint online coverage map changes!!

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by larry, Feb 25, 2007.

1. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The maps have been updated with a new feature that shows upcoming cell sites and anticipated new coverage! I heard they were going to be doing this a while back but kind of forgot about it. I see two more upcoming sites for my city!!

2. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Also the national map shows a heck of a lot of new green area. I'm assuming that they now show native coverage and roaming coverage the same way (like other carriers have been doing) since roaming is inlcuded on all new plans.

3. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Yep a new tower on I-40 west of Needles, CA will be up soon. Along with extending EVDO RevA to that area, and also the northern most parts of Laughlin & Bullhead City. Hopefully then I will be able to use EVDO on my 700wx around here.

4. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I don't see that new tower marker near Needles. I went along the whole area.

5. rosenthalliou

rosenthalliou Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS
    Wow, Sprint is expanding a lot of cell sites in the next 120 days.

6. chamb

chamb Junior Member

Larry,
    Looks to me like Sprint may just be possibly getting ready to make an announcement like this:
    NO roaming fees ever. If you can get a signal from anybody, make the call and it is free. Any green area is free no matter whose network you use.

In my area, it sure looks like the green includes all roaming partners. The bad part is that I see some areas that are green and neither Sprint or any roaming partners have service there. So I do not know what that means.

The other bad part is that it is much harder now to identify just where you have Sprint native service and where you have to roam.
    I am thinking that free roaming might just be added to ALL plans no matter how old or what plan it is. At least looking at this mapping might suggest that.
    If a Sprint user looks at these maps and does not have free roaming, they are going to get a surprise when they make a call from some areas. If the maps suggest to a sprint user that most of the country has Sprint service, then people are going to get upset when they find out about roaming fees.

The strange part is that I still see some GRAY areas. That used to be digital roaming partners. Looks to me like it may now be analog service only.

I am not sure I like this new mapping. The ones of us that are aware of native coverage versus roaming coverage can no longer really identify Sprint native coverage totally. It WAS really nice to be able to look at an area you were traveling to and be able to know what service was there before you got into a strange area. If you could see that Sprint did not cover an area, you could make plans to deal with it. Now we will be guessing much more and I do not like that.

7. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Nothing new coming to improve my mediocre service at home. :(

8. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Maybe but I can still tell the difference. If you look at the roaming areas they are clearly defined with a different legend color. The green roaming areas have small dots.

I doubt that will happen. If someone like me is on an older plan that doesn't include free roaming that won't change. Sprint is not going to start feeling generous and not charge us for something that they can still make money on. But at the same time those of us on older plans with no roaming are used to seeing roaming charges so why would we think that would change just because the maps online change? I don't think most customers really look at those maps very often anyway.

No way. If any area had digital roaming in the past it is still that way now. Sprint will never remove CDMA roaming coverage in favor of analog.

9. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

Yeah especially in the downtown, East and West LA areas. :)

10. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Maybe it's time to move then. :D

11. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Move to Alltel? :p

12. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    How about Cricket or whatever it's called? :D

13. ace41690

ace41690 Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Hero
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    It would be nice if there was an option to turn off the roaming coverage, and they should also have a label that says what is roaming and what isnt. Now the map is a bit misleading like all of the other carriers maps. A lot of people will probably be shocked when their phone says Digital Roam.

14. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    My fault, it was late. How about two towers being upgaded to EVDO RevA.

[​IMG]

15. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    But see that's what Sprint is trying to get away from. They want to be like the other carriers and show overall coverage regardless of who's network it's on now that all features are available when roaming. That makes their coverage area look bigger and helps attract more customers. Another step in the right direction by Sprint marketing. IMO

16. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Ahh ok so it's just an EV-DO upgrade. I hadn't played around with that yet.

17. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    this map is so great although i do see one flaw yet............while in another thread i looked up an affiliate area on the map and then the options for viewing recently added topwers or seeing planned ones........disappears.........they arent covering the affiliate markets with the special map........and if the digital roaming is included in the green now........what is the gray???..........analog???

i think that if you have any sense......get a new plan..........roamings included.........Sprint figures that if roaming is included in all our plans..........why bother pointing ou where the roaming is and where it isnt.........the ability to see Rev A and Rev 0 seperately is very very good :biggrin:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. dalbrich

dalbrich Junior Member

This is very interesting. With the new maps, basically everywhere there is wireless service in my home state of Oregon has "gone green" -- very nice since I'm a Ducks fan :)

But seriously, this is an interesting (and probably smart move) on Sprint's part. The downside for them by "muddying the water" is that it will be difficult for them to enforce excessive roaming when a customer can honestly say they are inside the "green" coverage area...

-Dan

19. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah.........but they arent factoring this map on the "over-roamer"....

they are making the map this way to attract customers and they dont enforce that clause sometimes............i'm not too fond of the fact that they are doing this because this means that they are making the same moves as Cingular............they are making it look like they have coverage that blankets the U.S.

this is deceiving and i dont like it much........but the deals and the covergae and the fast data keep me happy...........:D

and the fact that they are eliminating Rev 0 EV-DO for Rev A.............and the fact that they are increasing coverage to accomadate for the losses in coverage by ending Nextel...........well..........needless to say.......they are taking a lot of initiative

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The roaming enforcement hasn't happened yet to anyone and I doubt that they really will enforce it. It they do it would only be in the most extreme abuse of policy cases. Let's wait until someone actually gets terminated before worrying about it. :)

21. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    now thats something that i dont think will happen

22. TKR

TKR Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

I agree. They should differentiate native Sprint from the other areas - there are too many service differences not to.

23. TKR

TKR Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Larry, but not all features are available while roaming. It;s going to be a very iconsisetne experiene for people that depends on which handset they have, etc. That is why I would rather see an extended network presentation like VZW does with its two shades of red on their maps.

24. TKR

TKR Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Well said IMO

25. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    but if roaming is inlcuded in your plan then you dont have to worry about it............eventually i think this move to make the map..........the Sprint nationwide network........and just atop saying roaming included because there is no roaming........hehe

26. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    But I think what they are saying is that it does matter because not all phones will work the same...so mine might roam on Alltel for data while yours does not. That will (potentially) make you confused and upset.

27. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The plan is to try and reduce or eliminate the word roaming like the GSM carriers have done for a couple of years now. Yes it's somewhat true that not all phones have the same features available when roaming. But as more and more people upgrade to newer phones that will be less and less of a problem. As far as I know the very latest phones now all work the same (ie. no more inconsistencies such as the text messaging bug on the LG's). So any of the new phones released in the past few months and from this point on will be good to go.

#27 larry, Mar 3, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  28. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    But I think they're gearing this new coverage map and roaming capabilities towards new customers. Any new customer that purchases the very latest phones from this point on should not have a problem with the roaming inconsistencies/bugs that were found on older generations of phones that some of us old timers are stuck with. :D

29. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Sprint just needs to have the latest firmwares made that enable all features.........

and yes larry.......i agree that the aim is to eliminate the term roaming......

30. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Let's face it the old Sprint policies and procedures weren't cutting it anymore so I think it's a good thing that they're trying something new here.