Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint Officially Launching Airave Service July 15th

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by ace41690, Jul 2, 2008.

1. ace41690

ace41690 Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Hero
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Sprint Launching Airave Service July 15 - Femtocell service to expand to entire Sprint footprint - dslreports.com

"Last fall, Sprint began offering a new service in select areas of Denver and Indianapolis that delivers customers unlimited mobile minutes while at home. Dubbed Airave, the new femtocell-based system uses your home broadband connection to extend cellular coverage and offer unlimited calling for an additional $15 per month ($30 for multi-cell families). According to employee gossip over at Sprint Users, Sprint is preparing for a market wide launch starting on July 15, and the Samsung device itself should cost $100. Coverage area for the device is said to be about 5,000 square feet, and the service will work with any Sprint phone (see product FAQ)."

2. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    Ill believe it when I see it in stors.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    same here.....this product has been fading in and out over the past like 6 months

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    G1v1.5, Dash, Touch Pro 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    This has been on the market for a year with tmobile and works great, it is only 9.99 with tmobile

5. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    T-Mobile's unit requires UMA (wi-fi) phones. Sprint's Airave is actually a 1900 MHz PCS CDMA transceiver that works with any Sprint phone.

6. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    30 dollars for families is too much. $20 would be worth it, but not $30. It should not be priced higher than Voip.

7. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    The true value of the device will be if you can use it without the monthly fee to simply boost reception. $100 for permanent full signal strength in the home will be worth it to a lot of people already using their 6 or 7pm nights.

I have noticed some caveats though:
    Coverage area of 5000 sq ft equates to only a 40 ft radius. Earlier reports had suggested a 200 ft range.
    According to some sources, it uses a GPS signal to determine spectrum availability (it can travel, but won't work overseas); some other sources suggest it must be registered at a location.
    Samsung spec page lists only IS95 A/B & CDMA2000 1X -- No EVDO (I could be interpreting that wrong though)

CDMA spec sheets lists 3 models: 850, 1900, and dual. So we may see usage by other carriers.

WCDMA/HSPA version only lists 2100 MHz support, so either potential AWS or more likely Europe only.

#7 spleck, Jul 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  8. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    No. TMOB does not offer a Femto-Cell of any kind, i think you are mistaken. TMOB offers a glorified VoIP. which can be had for 3 bucks a month with Skype, its just most consumers dont know any better.

Yes this is correct and a better description. it will be neat to see how many carriers adopt this, i would like ATT to have one also though at my particular home i do not need one, there are many people in rural areas that could use one.

I wonder how long before someone would modify one to be portable...all it takes is an ethernet connection or equivalent and a 110v source correct?

9. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    so why wont it work overseas???

10. Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton 10 years scandal free....

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    Very true. I would just want the device so I don't have to worry about Sprint's marginal coverage at my house. I don't want to pay a monthly fee and I don't need unlimited calling, I just want the device so I would be assured of having better coverage at my house.

I hope Sprint eventually decides to have multiple plans for the Airave, including making it available for no monthly fee and use of the Airave can just count against one's minutes.

11. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    The device has to know its location to determine what PCS band to operate in. There are no 1900 MHz bands for Sprint to be licensed for overseas.

12. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    okay.......but how does it determine its location........by the IP address of the modem its attached to?? GPS doesnt seem like a feasible option considering this will be in people's houses

13. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Two sources had conflicting information. One said it had GPS and was transportable. The other said you had to get it online and register it at a location with the assumption that if it changed IP address, etc, you would have to reregister it and specify a location.

The GPS seems likely because the device needs to ensure that you're operating on the correct FCC licensed bands--important enough that you wouldn't want to rely on a traceroute. Using it in other countries probably has varying repercussions, ranging from having your limbs removed painfully to questions about "what are radio waves?"

Either way, the device queries the provider's configuration server to retrieve operating parameters--probably authorized phones and bands.

PS - A SiRFstarIII will get a GPS lock in a concrete basement. It can track satellites at -159dBm. My Garmin uses it and is awesome.

14. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yes but a device like that wont have highend GPS chips like that in it.......it just seems all off........i mean yeah its prolli illegal to use in other countries but this device is perfectly hackable i would think.......people will have found a way to get free international roaming whenever they want with this device

15. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    It's still an unknown what they're doing to locate the base station.

For consideration though, a "high end" SiRFstarIII was $15 in 2006. Global Locate has a similar performing chip (TomTom is using it in their low end line) that should have similar capability, but should be as cheap as $2 by now.

16. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    hmmmmm well then its a consideration but GPS is no guarantee anywhere with cloud cover and things like that..........basically if there isnt GPS then there isnt service.....this intrigues me

17. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    The GPS in the Airave device is a very sensitive unit. I've got mine in a closet, inside the house and it is able to lock on to the GPS signal with no problems. The unit will process up to three separate calls at the same time from any Sprint phone but the unit owner is able to restrict use of the Airave to specific phone numbers.

Also, because the unit is a fem-to-cell it needs accurate timing to maintain call processing functions. The GPS is there to facilitate that. The unit also comes with an high-gain external antenna to assist if needed.

1 person likes this.
  18. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    a high-gain GPS antenna?

19. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Most GPS antennas are high gain, it's not a strong signal to begin with.

20. treotosh

treotosh Junior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 750
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular/At&t
    Only about one more week till it comes out we will see it then. ;):D

21. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    I'm hearing around the rumor mill that the launch is being delayed again. The unit I've been playing with does work reliably and never has a problem locking onto the GPS. I looked into it more and found out that Samsung is using a highly-sensitive Trimble unit for the GPS.

22. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Here's a comparison chart of chips: GPS Receiver Chip Performance Survey

Trimble is probably still using the same line of chips as this chart from last year. The chip is bigger, but with specs close to the SiRF--its probably a lot cheaper and performs just as well in stationary device.