Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint now claims fewest dropped calls

Discussion in 'Wireless News' started by xenophon, May 24, 2007.

1. TKR

TKR Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Because Sprint itself has said so. It's all about completing the rebanding and then off-loading iDEN. The following was sent to me from a Sprint PR person in Dec 2006 when I inquired about it:

Rebanding is a multi-year initiative that will be completed in mid-2008. High Performance PTT on CDMA is expected to be available in 2008.

800MHz is fully utilized on our iDEN network today.

We are committed to the iden technology for the foreseeable future

We have work underway to enable the CDMA network (and handsets) to utilize the 800MHz SMR band

At some point in the future, we may utilize 800MHz on CDMA but only when the iDEN network does not need all of our 800MHz licenses

We have a "2nd to none" build plan on our CDMA network that is focused on improving in building coverage, weak spots within our footprint and expansion of our coverage footprint. This build plan consists of several thousand cell sites and will double the number of covered square miles on the cdma network

2. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    Actually, there is no cell site on the Peachoid.

That's because there's a 300 feet cell tower a half mile away (close to I-85 Exit 92), and is shared by AT&T, Alltel, Sprint, & SunCom, and it's lat/long coordinates are (35.098, -81.6774)...Although, Verizon would be good if they put some panels up on the Peach, I get better signal at my house in the rural landscape on VZW, than the city of Gaffney.

But here are a few pictures anyway:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TKR

TKR Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Larry - understood, but here in the Southeast, 1900 performance, while adequate, is still subpar compared to ATT and VZW, even after a lot of in-fill sites in suburban areas. It's not "bad", but 1900 just does not cut it around here compared to 800, IMO.

4. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    Damn rights it's me. Its true though. Everyone I talk to has nothing but negative sterotpyes about sprint.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I do think that the person who wrote that to you does sound more knowledgable than the average Sprint rep. But I still wouldn't necessarily believe what they tell you regarding plans for 800 Mhz. My sources within the company tell me a different story. ;)

6. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Tom, I realize that situation but like I said it's not something that Sprint is going to do. They're all about investing in the major populated markets and for that situation adding 1900 CDMA to IDEN sites is working out excellent. The other more rural/suburban areas will continue to get better with the addition of the fill in synergy sites. Whatever spots they can't manage to cover well enough will always have roaming to fall back on. Sprint would rather use their best-in-class roaming agreements than to invest more money into areas that are not very profitable. Mark my words right here:

There will not be any CDMA 800 for Sprint ever! (unless they happen to buy another carrier like Alltel)

7. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):

yea, lots of the Sprint sites over here don't cover more than 3 miles from the tower,
    even in the rural parts of this area.

So Sprint only works good in the cities.

Lots of Sprint's panels don't go over 225 feet above ground in this area,
    so rural areas have an even further disadvantage.

But I'm expecting that they'll build out, as more and more people move to Upstate SC,
    the fastest growing part of this state.

Many Alltel & Verizon towers in the rural areas cover over 5 miles at times,
    and many are over 300 feet tall

8. xenophon

xenophon Member

I found this...
    GigaOM For Sprint, a tough 2007 ahead «

Number of cellsites...
    Sprint 67,000 - iDen/CDMA (I hear 35K+ are CDMA with 4K coming)
    ATT/Cingular 45,000 -including TDMA
    Verizon 26,000

I think Sprint only had under 15K CDMA sites in 2000. The recent increase certainly would improve dropped calls. They are adding more sites at a faster rate than any carrier. Helps data capacity as well.

9. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):

Theres a tower about 1200 feet from my house (it's also currently my avatar).

AT&T & SunCom are already there.
    Since Sprint coverage is slim at my location, they should put signal on it,
    as it is the only carrier with weak coverage.
    It's 3.25 miles south of I-85 exit 87,
    so it would be a perfect opportunity for them if they get up there.
    The coordinates of the tower is (35.0288, -81.7346)

10. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

There are a lot of factors that determine the range of a cell site. Here in the Los Angeles area for example a typcial site only covers about 1 mile max. Out in the desert area I was once able to pull in signal from a Sprint 1900 Mhz tower for 25 miles. This was a tower that was like 300 feet high and had no obstructions at all. The carriers themselves usually turn the power way down on sites these days. It's not like it used to be 10 years ago when they cranked them way up to cover huge areas.

Sprint's most powerful site in So. California is along Hwy 395 about 6 miles south of Kramer Junction in San Bernardino County. It has a range of about 15 miles in one direction and 30 in the other.

11. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I have always been one to say that Sprint's coverage in Utah (not very densely populated in many areas) is rather weak and non-existent off I-15. That used to be true; now, with Sprint starting to put CDMA on some rural NEXTEL iDEN sites, they even have native 1900 coverage in some areas where Verizon has no signal, and Verizon is 850. Yes, Sprint will not cover all the rural areas that Cingular, ALLTEL, VZW will with their 850 licenses, and that is perfectly acceptable. Most people live and travel along the main road arteries/metro areas where Sprint native coverage will be great; for the more rural areas, Sprint has excellent roaming agreements that lets you use everything, including data just like you were on your home network. What more could you want?

12. blsemp

blsemp Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    What would be the use of cranking up the output if you don't have the old bag type analog set to transmit back to the tower?

13. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    I live in a relatively high populated area. Right next to a 4 lane highway. Not in the country. Yet the Sprint signal is to weak for it to make a call with out dropping unless you stand still and too strong for it to roam. Nextel however has good signal. Maybe if they put the cdma on the nextel sites that will be enough, but it would still be a waste of smr spectrum imo.

14. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    So your earlier statement was claimed on that one spot? We all know that every carrier has its weak spots and that every carrier has areas where they don't invest (as) heavily in. That doesn't invalidate Sprint as having a great network overall.

15. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    No not just that spot. It is almost everywhere in the state of Michigan that I have been (in similar distance from a highway and a few other areas). I'm not saying they are terrible nationwide. But there is no denying that they stick to the roads and urban areas probably more then they should. They are getting better yes, just not here right now. (northern Michigan is iPCS, but my home area is corporate.) Their problems for coverage around here would be solved by utilizing the lower spectrum, it would cost less then adding pcs and give overall better coverage. If they don't and iDen eventually dies, what then? That is the point I am trying to get across. I like Sprint, despite their reputation from years ago that people still carry around, but their coverage is not up to par with vzw or alltel here. Which is fairly odd, because vzw (pcs only here) only came here a year ago while sprint has been here since mid to late 90's....

Also...i'm not sure what earlier statement you are talking about??

16. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Andy I couldn't agree more. Some people seem to think that because a carrier didn't want to invest in their particular spot with better coverage than they must have a lousy network. That's simply not true. Every carrier has it's good markets and bad and no carrier can dominate in every area. The real tests IMO are how well they perform in the top 50 markets in the US because that's where most of the population lives and those are the most profitable areas. Right now Sprint is rocking in those major metro areas with the massive improvements being made.

17. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    And what's so horrible about Sprint not wanting to cover certain areas? They have excellent roaming agreements that fill in those places. If they decide that a certain area is not profitable enough for them and would rather use roaming then I don't see a problem with that at all. Especially now with the availabilty of CDMA data and sms roaming for no extra charge.

18. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    No one is disagreeing with this, nor did I ever imply that their network was lousy overall or nationwide. I merely said they would be well served to use the cdma on the lower frequency for the more rural areas. Then I asked you why they don't plan on using it. Said it was a waste of spectrum not to once Iden goes the way of tdma (unless it's not going to....), then I gave an example of how it could help at my location. Don't take out your frustrations from Sprint bashers out on me! :biggrin:

19. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sprint is never going to use 800 Mhz on CDMA so get it over it already. The reasons have already been discussed. Just see Bobolito's reply earlier in this thread. They don't need to use lower frequency and they're doing just fine without it. :D I think you just couldn't stand seeing a thread about Sprint with this title so you decided to cast your negative spin on it right? ;)

20. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Haha, okay I'm over it:) I do like Sprint their plans are good and they have the best roaming agreements around and one of if not the best data network, but what do they plan to do with the spectrum is my question. Do they plan to keep iDen, beef it up for DC? And only use qchat (i think that is what it was called) where Iden is not available?

21. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I wish they could just get rid of IDEN altogether but of course that can't happen for years. It's still a little up in the air on what they plan to do with everything so all we can do is speculate. Who knows maybe I'll turn out to be wrong and they will make some kind of deal to use CDMA at a lower frequency or end up buying some lower frequency. But that's so far off it's not even worth thinking about at this point. I would still bet against that happening though because I just don't think Sprint feels they need to do that.

22. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Drive testing is good for trouble-shooting certain areas, but not really suited for an overall network picture.

All operators have statistics and performance monitoring software at a network level to record this info. It takes the ratio of successfully completed calls compared to abnormally released calls and gives you a %. In well-built networks the drop rate can be %0.01 or less, and in poor networks it can be 5% or 10%. (This data is extracted from the Call Data Records from each switch, so maybe this is what Sprint was referring to by "billing records"?) But then they would have to get this info from the competitors to compare, and the competitors may not make this info public.

Anyway, unless the operator says exactly how they made their tests to say "We have the fewest dropped calls" it's meaningless. And if the "independant" company was paid to do the tests by the operator, they aren't really independant :rolleyes:

23. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Isn't it true that lower frequencies will travel further than higher ones...
    Especially in rural & lower elevations & at night.
    (Kinda like AM vs FM waves.) (I know it's true, I'm just mentioning it.) :wink:

I wonder if Sprint does any testing of their own reguarding what frequencies are good.

I like PCS because beacuse of the overall call clarity. (like 5.8 ghz vs 900 mhz cordless).

Whether it's 800 mhz or 1900 pcs, one thing is for sure...The Digital Technology rules.
    Now theres no more static in low signal areas, just fading

24. T Sizzles

T Sizzles Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3G 8GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    Yesterday, a co-worker and I had to drive out to a site and on the way there he dropped 3 or 4 calls on his Sprint Moto Q. Sprint is full of BS.....

25. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yes it is true. But there really is no difference in the voice quality between 800 and 1900. Remember 900 and 5.8 are a lot further apart.

But besides that, it all depends on what the carrier has the site set at. Where Larry is, for capacity issues they have the towers going around 1 mile in most places, maybe a little more. But if you out to other areas they are extended much further.

26. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Because one person you know dropped calls Sprint is full of BS? :D Oh boy. Remember Sprint didn't come up with these results themselves.

27. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

Cell site spacing for Sprint here in LA/Orange County, CA is becoming about 3/4 mile apart or even less. It's awesome.

28. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thursday Night when I went to the opening of Pirates. My friend at the movie theater with Cingular got continuous Network Busy messages with Cingular and when he finally got the call out it dropped. Cingular is full of BS.....

This statement is a waste of my time, despite being true, because just because Cingular in my case, or Sprint in your case does not work well in a certain area means they are full of BS.....??? Come on, let's all be mature and think.

29. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    I wish that was the truth in the Long Island area. Sprint is trying, as they are adding 2 sites in my area, but they have a LONG way to go. In my neighborhood, all the carriers EXCEPT sprint/nextel have landed themselves a new site in residential areas which help alot. Sprint, where are you on this one. Stop adding to existing nextel sites and foxus on residential areas like t-mobile has done so well!

30. hf1khal

hf1khal Who am I to judge

My Phone:
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    That was my biggest problem with Sprint and to date the same wholes still exist and that has been going for 7 years. I keep on testing their service here and do stay unpartial but in the areas of my needs they are still way behind the rest. Like you siad, T Mobile is improving but still need a bit more to cover the Noeth shore areas where they seem to be close to an exclusive thing for Cingular and VZW.