Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint Nextel network/tower merger

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by SmArTeStChIlD421, Jun 25, 2006.

1. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    And based on that... look at what areas have great coverage and which have very little.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    he has a point :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. syncmaster

syncmaster New Member

My Phone:
    Nextel/BlackBerry 7100i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel, Sprint PCS
    I must admit that I will be following this closely. I am both a Nextel and Sprint PCS user and Nextel coverage in my immediate area (50 mile radius or so) is MUCH greater than Sprint PCS, this has had me concerned since the merger. I love them both equally for their own reasons and I'm loyal to Nextel, but will leave if I lose the level of coverage I have now.

What do they plan to do in these areas?

It'll definately be interesting to see what happens...

4. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Sprint and Nextel coverage in my area is about the same. Sprint even has them beat in some areas.

5. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Sprint and Nextel are pretty much the same in my area as well.......but i like the fact that Nextel runs over 800 MhZ because it gives greater sdignal distance but i don't like nextel because of the slow data that can sometimes occur

6. syncmaster

syncmaster New Member

My Phone:
    Nextel/BlackBerry 7100i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel, Sprint PCS
    In town Sprint is about the same - but once I leave my hometown and head anywhere else, in between most of the time I don't have service, and on the rare ocasion I do its roaming on Alltel which doesn't allow me to use internet or features like that. Throughout my entire county I have mostly full service from Nextel (even in the middle of corn fields when we go tractor tipping :lmao: ).

Hopefully they'll fix that though - I know that (just from seeing all the phones people have) this must be a very strong area for Nextel, all but two of my friends have Nextel and almost everyone you see has it as well.

7. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    submit a trouble ticket....im sure that Sprint doesn't want to support two separate networks....if Sprint can put together where they think that they need work and where they already have Nextel towers......then they can be a bit more detailed as they perform the merger process in your area (whatever solution that may be)

8. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    They will continue to support two networks as both are profitable. What they are going to try and do is expand and merge the network withen existing facilities. Several locations are side by side and to cut down on the ground space will save them a few bucks a month.

9. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    That is where the big technical challenge comes in to try and combine 2 RAN's operating on different underlying technologies, not just different frequencies.

And if noone has figured it out...the Sprint 4G-WiMax announcement is no surprise given the poor outlook for Moto on the network side given the rumors of Sprint moving forward either without iDen or with a different vendor (The exclusivity with Nextel is over for Moto). Plus, with Moto's latest acquisitions, they are trying to get out in front of Mobile WiMax and invariably will be using the typical OEM financial offerings to carriers to keep their market share with Sprint/Nextel.

That is my opinion, anyway.

10. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    From what I understand their 800 Mhz does not really give a greater signal distance due their IDEN technology. So their tower spacing is actually closer to how a CDMA 1900 Mhz network is set up.

11. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well with my Boost phone may have one bar and all i need do is extend my antenna and BOOM i instantly have full bars wherever i go.......but the lower frequency actually does extend the distance......as far as i know there are about 2 nextel towers all over the city....one is up in the mountain transmitting downward and i don't know where the other one is.........i should think thought that if they removed the iDEN network it will give them more money to add and maintain towers as well as upgrade current towers to be EV-DO capable...........i don't like how the iDEN network is IP-based because it must affect the text messaging because Nextel is one of the only companies whose network is IP-based......this leads me to think......and conclude

it would probably be a better choice because im sure that their current land lease parties would mind Sprint coming in and taking down the current towers and putting up new ones......thats all Sprint would really need to do and they would do it one market at a time........all Nextel customers and Boost customers would be notified as soon as the decision is made so they can begin making the switch but would have their service cut-off if they haven't switched by the time of the appointed upgrade to CDMA.......if it really is an upgrade.......and of course the Nextel customers would be given the choice to leave or stay without hinderances from ETFs......

just a thought but i know that my thought can be kind of expensive :D

12. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above

The land owner may not mind, but the municipalities will. Drop and swaps are not always a by right zoning approval.

13. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    i don't understand why they would care unless they care that there will be a change in frequency usage?!?!?!?!?!

14. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    1) Revenue capture (permitting and review process)
    2) If it is an older structure, probably grandfathered under older regulations, this is the chance to bring it up to code (so to speak). They get to review under what is most likely newer more stringent regulations.

15. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    ohhhh ok........well......i think that it would be easier and more simple for Sprint to make attempts to merger the network and eliminate the Nextel Nationwide iDEN network.....i wonder what effect this will have on Boost Mogile......will they switch to CDMA phones........will there be fights between Vrgin and Boost Mobile because they are the 2 biggest prepaid companies sharing that network????????? :confused:

questions questions questions

16. xenophon

xenophon Member

Sprint won't start to reduce iDen network until QChat PTT is released, which will eventually replace iDen PTT. EVDO Rev A needs to be completely rolled out before that happens, which is planned by the end of next year. This Fall, CDMA/iDen phones will be released to begin the transition from iDen to CDMA. By 2007/8, I'm guessing there will be no more iDen-only phones for sale. By 2010, Sprint may begin shutting down iDen.

17. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    that seems like a reasonable explanation.......but wat is the QChat PTT?

I know about the readylink but wat is QChat?

18. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
  19. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    will they ditch Readylink? and is this different because it isn't server based?

20. xenophon

xenophon Member

It may take a while to get rid of ReadyLink since there is a user base out there. But QChat is much better, more comparable to iDen PTT and perhaps way mo betta. It needs the low latency and better uplink speed of EVDO Rev A though so won't appear until next year or so.

21. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    thats good cuz i like the Direct Connect feature and if they can come out with something that gives a similar experiance then that will make me feel better abou this merger........could it be possible to (after implementing the proper EV-DO Rev A) distribute discounted QChat phones to the Readylink customers and sell QChat phones to non-Readylink subscribers for regular price