Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint National coverage map comparisons

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by larry, Feb 25, 2007.

1. TKR

TKR Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Looks like they finally updated the maps for some towers 20 or so mile NW of Atlanta. They do not seem very generous in terms of excellent coverage depicted, though.

Attached Files:

2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    This maps makes it seem like Sprint coverage throughout the area depicted is not all that strong. Detailed coverage maps can sometimes hurt a company if they underestimate their coverage on the maps.

3. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Sprint is also like this............they are very very modest when it comes to their coverage maps............some areas depicted as 1-2 bars could have full coverage while outside............most companies dont overestimate their maps............not unless they are crazy and asking for a headache from calls about how cuztomers thought they would have coverage but dont

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ace41690

ace41690 Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Hero
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    *cough* cingular *cough*
    I understand what your saying though. The map depicts my house, and actually the surrounding area as having no coverage. In reality, coverage is fine outside with 2 or 3 bars, which is plenty to have a stable phone call ( i have never experienced a dropped call while outside in the area they are marking as having no coverage.) inside however, there is coverage, but the call often drops. It only really works on the upper floor and even there it can still drop sometimes. Still pretty good for an area that is marked as having zero coverage though.

5. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I agree that Cingular's coverage viewer is greatly overstated in a lot of areas. Sprint I have had mixed results, but T-Mobile definitely is understated in my area.

6. TKR

TKR Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Understood. It is not as strong as some markets. It's OK, and they continue to have built it out, but it's not steller here, at least not compared to VZ and Cingular. But I do think the maps reflect to a large degree the problem with 1900 MHz in this area. Trees and rolling terrain (which also brings the trees, and more of them, more into play) really hack at 1900 MHz reach. I think T-Mo and Metro PCS also suffer. ATTWS (Pre-Cingular) was also 1900 only here and did not have a good reputation. This is why I am always harping about Sprint needing 800 MHz CDMA deployed as soon as possible after the ESMR rebanding is done. Becuase they have 800 mhz Cingular and VZ (on the cell band here) have a tremendous coverage advantage in this corner of the world because of the foliage and gently rolling terrain.

7. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Makes sense. The scenario you describe can indeed limit the reach of 1900 mhz signals. If NEXTEL has this are built out well, I am sure Sprint will add their panels on the NEXTEL sites, increasing coverage this way.
    It's interesting to hear that T-Mobile is suffering there- in my area, T-Mobile makes up for their PCS frequency in areas of rolling hills by having more sites than any other carrier.

8. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Remember that when Sprint updates those maps with new towers added they usually haven't updated the green areas to match the projected coverage yet. So wait for the next update and see what happens. Those areas will likely have the darker shade of green on the next update.

#68 larry, Mar 16, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  9. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Carriers who use 1900 Mhz can make up the signal propogation dis-advantage as compared to 800 Mhz by simply adding more cell sites. So I don't see any reason why Sprint can't have sufficient coverage in any market by doing the synergy sites with Nextel and also building out new sites in places that Nextel might not have a cell site handy. But of course they have to have that in their budget otherwise it could take years.

10. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Oh I completely agree. Just because a carrier is on the PCS frequency, does not mean they are SOL. Like I said, in tougher-to-cover areas here T-Mobile has put panels on short wood poles in order to cover those areas often better than other carriers and no doubt any other carrier could/is doing the same.

11. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I looked at the map for Los Angeles...that is just amazing!!!!

Attached Files:

12. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yep it is and also notice that some of the red bullseyes overlap the blue ones which means that some of the red ones that are listed as coming soon are already finished and on the air!

13. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    The closest Sprint & Alltel towers to my house are 3 miles away (as seen here - I-85 x87 in Gaffney/Cowpens area)

(click to view larger map):
    sprintGaffney3.jpg

However, Alltel serves my location inside & outside perfectly.

Sprint's signal is very poor, and its only worse the further south you go, until you in I-26 in Newberry (60 miles away).

other than the fact that PCS signals won't go as far as 800 mhz signals, this is kinda wierd.

the 1st mile down my street is ok w/sprint. but only ½ further, Sprint is not "powered up." the sprint signal will faintly reach my location.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    A couple of possibilities. The Alltel site might be mounted higher than the Sprint site. The higher the array that better the signal propogation is. Also each carrier has their own coverage objective so the Sprint panels might be pointed in a different direction than the Alltel ones are. So there are a lot of variables to consider besides just the frequency.

15. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    This is just amazing because I don't think that the Sprint network in Los Angeles was bad at all before these upgrades...I thought Sprint was one of the best providers in Los Angeles, but these upgrades must literally mean full service anywhere. I also can't believe that Sprint was hurting capacity there, so I guess they just want to make their network more perfect than what it used to be.

16. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Sprint has had a great network in Los Angeles since around 2002-2003. They haven't had capacity issues in the past 5 or 6 years here. I think the goal is to make sure that the places where Nextel was a little stronger be given the same CDMA service so that when Nextel subscribers eventually move over to CDMA they will have the same service that they were used to. But of course us Sprint CDMA customers are the real winners for better coverage out of this merger.

17. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    No wonder Larry has no issues with Sprint, they have so many towers it's not even funny, especially compared to this area.
    I do have to say it does look like they plan on doing a lot of either synergy sites or new sites in NYC, too bad NJ is pretty much out of the major loop right now.

18. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    NYC and LA is where the money is. So naturally they will get the most improvements.

19. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    T-Mobile is understated in almost every area......

20. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I'm sure your area will follow. My area has started up and it has already expanded Sprint native service greatly. By the time their synergy sites are done in your area, you may consider switching to Sprint. :D

21. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I do see some red coming soon sites in NJ.

22. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    It does look like some areas over there are getting a huge number of new sites. Depends on where you are I guess.

Attached Files:

• ny.gif
      ny.gif
      File size:
      32.2 KB
      Views:
  23. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I am sure they will be, and they want to get the City done 1st which those of us in NJ are use to waiting after the City get's done with everything.
    I can at least see the Sprint service now with my new phone & to be honest it's not as bad as it use to be around here so far. Their is hope yet.

They may also be waiting for this screwy weather to calm down, it was 78 on Wednesday & today it's been Snowing & Icing all day & thru the night & going to 20.

Yes I did notice them & 2 are in the county that I live in, it just looks so few & far between compared to LA & NYC.

24. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I think it's proportionate to the size of the market.

25. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah we just got it here in PA from 8PM to 12AM........we have around 6" :browani: