Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint National coverage map comparisons

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by larry, Feb 25, 2007.

1. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    You guys think too much. :rolleyes:

2. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    the additional network has not yet been determined by us yet. We assume that it might be analog but we dont really know for sure.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Sounds about right. When I look at Utah, it seems like Sprint has their own coverage, Verizon and ALLTEL marked as their Green Sprint Powernetwork or whatever and Sprint has data service available on ALLTEL and Verizon, and analog footprint on ALLTEL and CDMA on a small carrier, South Central Wireless, as roaming areas. I know that South Central does not support Data roaming so your explanation makes sense.

4. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    How so? As a normal consumer I may actually be a little confused by Sprint's maps...no roaming charges and roaming is now green on their maps, but some roaming is still gray.

5. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I'm just happy with the way things are going on the maps. We should all be happy we have the ability to see street level coverage as well as new towers and new towers coming soon. We never had that before. True the maps aren't perfect and I'm sure they're still working on them but let's focus on the good things. Instead it seems like most people are trying to find fault with them. Remember it's normal for carriers nowdays to have confusing maps. ;)

6. TKR

TKR Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I, too, am glad they are working to improve the maps. My issue is not so much with the maps, but with the new "Sprint National Network" concept. I really do think this has been packaged poorly by Sprint and will only lead to customer confusion. I think the message is muddled. I think it would have been better for Sprint to have taken and "extended network" approach where the extended network is clearly differentiated, as opposed to blended in with a note about exceptions in the fine print.

7. Cailiff04

Cailiff04 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    What am I missing here?? Sprint roaming going away and going to like Verizon and Alltel and offereing No Roaming? That would be awesome!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Just an FYI, I've been studying the new cell sites added and the ones that are anticipated in the next 120 and have noticed that a few of them are missing. I know of at least 3 sites that are currently under construction here in the Orange County, CA area and will be going on before 120 days. But they're not shown on there at all. So it's not a complete list because there are likely others coming as well.

9. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    they are just saying that Sprint is taking the same route as Cingular and instead of marking roaming on the map they are just saying that the roaming is part of the "one big network" and marking it the same as the home coverage

there really isnt any difference

10. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    i'm just happy that Sprint is taking the initiative to expand their coverage so much.......its practically a complete campaign.......i'm going to Georgia in August.........what is the coverage like down there?

11. TKR

TKR Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

I believe there is a big difference. In the GSM world, as I understand it at least, services such as SMS, Data, etc are pretty uniformly functional while roaming. That is if they are offered by the host network, and you are allowed to connect to it. (GSM operates differently, in that the phone connects to the host and then the host network contacts your home network to see if you are allowed to actually use the host network.) In the CDMA world, it is a big hodge podge patchwork of interoperability agreements, different standrards, PRL allowances, and a plethora of handsets that have old firmware that was designed to preclude you from ever being able to use the service (such as SMS or data roaming), even it is now offered by your carrier, but is only supported by a newly purchased handset. Bottom line, more opportunity for inconsistency and incompatibility on the CDMA side, and for me, enough reason to differentiate the networks, rather than color them all one color as though they are all functionally the same.

12. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    i understand where you are coming from........roaming agreements have to be programmed into each tower........or there has to be all of the roaming agreements on file and they are being accessed by hundreds of towers every minute.....................and yes..................firmwares do block certain things fro happening like SMS and data while roaming.............not to mention the fact that the regular customer isnt gonna know about PRLs and all that so itll never be updated

13. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Tom, I hear ya. My LG LX-350 suffers from the lack of SMS when roaming bug and I still plan on keeping it for a while longer. However I do think that it's time to look towards the future and most if not all newly released phones all work the same way now. Data roaming, SMS, etc. It would be nice if Sprint would just issue new firmware to fix those bugs but obvisously that's not going to happen because it's too expensive for them to do that.

#43 larry, Mar 3, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  14. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    its all about money...........ugh

15. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    That's right everything is about money.

16. xenophon

xenophon Member

I'm not too thrilled with them showing roaming as part of national network. If you have an on-network call and are driving off-network and into roaming, will the call stay connected while switching to roaming? If not, it should not be considered part of national network.

Also on sprint to sprint free calls, it's not free if roaming during prime hours... or did they change that?

17. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well.....roaming areas are marked on the map still but they arent in the map key so they would mean nothing to some random person...........dotted areas are roaming

18. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    No there are no such things as inter-carrier call handoffs.

19. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I don't know what all of the fuss is about. It's very easy for me to still see the Sprint native service areas seperately from the roaming areas.

20. TKR

TKR Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Try area code 24060 (blacksburg, va). The new Sprint map would have you believe its all roaming, because the whole area is now showing up as a uniform signal-strength-info-unavailable area. But, if you go to the powersource tab, you can see where the native SPCS network is. The new Sprint maps don't allow you to discern bewteen native and non-native CDMA coverage other than via the powersource tab. It's cases like this that I view as a step backwards.

Attached Files:

21. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The maps are not like that for my area. They still show the same native coverage as before with the exception that the roaming areas are now dotted green. It's really not confusing at all to me. But I can see where it would be if everything is "signal strength unavailable" like the picture you posted. I'm guessing it's some sort of affiliate market?

22. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The Blackberry 7130e also has only a triangle...the word "roam" does not appear anywhere.

23. TKR

TKR Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Yes, at least sort of. It used to be affiliate Horizon PCS in that area of Virginia. Sprint bought that portion of the Horizon area a few years ago, so it is now corporate in that sense. However, it should be noted that Horizon itself did not own or build the infrastructure for that part of their network in Virginia, they in turn leased airtime off of the NTELOS built network. I think all of it was then and continues today to be under the auspices of something called the Virginia PCS Alliance. I think NTELOS still may control the network Sprint uses in this area. All that said, it will be interesting to see if/when that area ever gets EVDO.

some background:
    http://www.wirelessweek.com/article/CA521951.html

http://stocks.us.reuters.com/stocks/fullDescription.asp?symbol=NTLS.O excerpt:
    Holdings Corp. <<that's NTELOS>> provides digital PCS services on a wholesale basis to other PCS providers, particularly Sprint Nextel. The Company's wireless wholesale business began when it signed a 10-year agreement with Horizon PCS to carry Horizon PCS's traffic in its territories in western Virginia and West Virginia. During the year ended December 31, 2003, Horizon PCS filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. As a part of Horizon PCS's restructuring, during the year ended December 31, 2004, Sprint bought out Horizon PCS's interest in the approximately 95,000 Sprint-branded subscribers in Horizon PCS's territories that are serviced by the Company's network. Holdings Corp. subsequently entered into the Strategic Network Alliance with Sprint Nextel.

So it's not a classic affiliate relationship, as Sprint now has the customers and retailing aspects for this area, but they do not run the network.

24. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah......the roaming is dotted

25. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The only problem I see is that some of the affiliate or former affiliate areas might be a little more confusing now because it's hard to tell them apart from roaming areas. But other than that I think they've done a great job with the new maps.

26. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah..........overall they have been doing a pretty good job

and you know an area is affiliate when the map is missing all of its other functions like towers made in last 90 days.......and towers to be built in next 120 days..........those features disappear in affiliate market..........saw this for Flagstaff, AZ............affiliate market and a lot of the map key disappeared

27. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Flagstaff is corporate and the towers to be built function does work when I view it. But I don't think anything is planned for Flagstaff because coverage is already rock solid there.

28. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    i wanna say there was a thread about someone who wanted to have them upgrade to EV-DO or when they were going to and when i checked the map those options for the map legend disappeared when i entered in that city

29. rosenthalliou

rosenthalliou Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS
    [​IMG]

Sprint seems to have updated their coverage map again

30. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yes you're right! Some time in the past 6 hours they made a revision to show new coverage where some (but not all unfortunately) of the last batch of new cell sites were added! I checked it around 6PM yesterday and those changes had not been made yet. They added dark green for the 2 San Clemente sites that were added a couple of months ago. But I noticed they still didn't add the dark green for the new Santa Fe Springs & Whittier sites yet. Or the San Gabriel site.