Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

??Sprint Myths??and also a bit of GSM thrown in

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by IdiOTeQnoLogY, Mar 24, 2002.

1. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

??Sprint Myths??and also a bit of GSM thrown in

I see so many people on here saying Sprint is so horrible and yet from all of my experiences and people i know with Sprint it doesnt all add up. I have had Sprint Service for a year now, first with a samsung 8500 and know a sanyo 5150 phone. Clarity of calls has been excellent. Yes I have had dropped calls (although with the sanyo virtually none) but so do all carriers. i live in NJ close to the city and travel mostly in northeast NJ and NYC sometimes hitting connecticut and central and south jersey. Signals have been excellent throughought and down the jersey shore. WHY DONT ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT GETTING A SIGNAL LOOK AT A COVERAGE MAP BEFORE YOU BUY A PHONE [​IMG] It is not that hard, I did. All you need is two eyes. I agree that Sprint DIGITAL coverage is not the most extensive out of metropolitan areas and highway corridors but that is for you to find out before you buy and know where you are going to travel and use the phone the most. In NYC my Sprint phone gets service where my friends voicestream and Verizon phones do not. In wayne nj at some of the homes where some friends live (20 min from NYC) verizon and at&T phones get no service meanwhile I am talking from the basement on a good signal. My friends and I drove from NJ to OTTAWA,CANADA, I had sprint pcs Digital service over 80% of the time during our travel in the USA and the ability to ROAM the rest of the time, and I drove through some very rural areas (the good ol sticks) to get there. Not bad, and this was almost a year ago. Do your homework people. Sprint customer service is not the best, and with each cell phone company you will get that Representative whose attitude sucks and makes you say the whole company is garbage. I have had some long hold times and some short, more recently I get a representative in sub 3 minutes each time (even though Sprint closed down some cust. service centers, i dont get it) Also one major plus of Sprint is their PLAN FLEXIBILITY. i signed up for a 2yr contract cause of the rebate i received through a promotion a year ago, but throughout my 2 years I can SWITCH my plans as many times as I want (preferrably do this to take effect at the start of the next billing cycle to avoid prorating costs, which ALL sprint cust. service reps helpfully warned me about; unlike my sister with Verizon) If sprint comes out with a new promotion plan which you like, just switch, no problem. With Verizon they renewed my sisters contract for another year from the point she switched plans, didnt tell her that, and also prorated her bill for that month instead of telling her just to wait and make the plan change effective at the start of the next billing cycle; this being more cost effective. Verizon does have the largest coverage area in the nation that is true, and hopefully talks of sprint-verizon Roaming agreements prove true, as long as Sprint customers keep Sprint flexiblity [​IMG] Keep yourselves educated no matter what phone company you go with; there are lots of scams out there and dumb sales reps but in todays dog eat dog capitalist markets, you simply HAVE TO BE AN EDUCATED CUSTOMER. JUST READ THE MAP; it's so funny people dont do the simplest of acts and just assume cause they get a signal in the store that it will work great 20 minutes away. There is a verizon store 5 miles from my parents house and when my sister visits she can get 1 bar of signal on her phone maybe half the time, the rest of the time her Verizon phone is NO Service. All carriers suffer from this. Dead zones are a fact of life for now Before I signed up for sprint one of my friends had sprintpcs and i made sure he came over my apartment to see his reception. 4 Bars, so i signed up [​IMG] I think Verizon has a 15 day trial (though watch out for some scheming Billing techniques many people speak of) so u can atry out the phone first. Sprint also offers a 30 day trial within which u can cancel service for no penalty and return your phone (or is it 14 days i dont know check up on it)
    Also, for people who push for GSM because of world compatibility here is something to chew on. For the average person having a GSM phone that will work in Europe is great, as long as you are lucky enough to goto europe often enough to utilize that and then being able to afford the 1 dollar+ per minute fees to roam on a european GSM network with ure GSM phone. Meanwhile all us CDMA users will be cruisin on 2.5g and 3g networks here at home in the USA long b4 you will. But for all CDMA users there has recently been news released that GSM/CDMA dual mode phones will be released latest 2003, u can search the web for this. If you really need to feel able to use your phone anywhere in the world this will solve your problem. I just wish I was one of the jetsetters who needed a world phone for practical reasons due to the fact that I would be bouncin around the globe, but I am primarily stuck on the east coast USA so I dont need a world phone. I am as much a techno gear head as the next guy and I really want to be able to say I have a phone that works in most of the world, but in reality, like i said unless you travel overseas often or can afford the huge per minute rates when u do travel then having a GSM phone for now is totally useless for that reason alone.
    ALSO as far as nextel direct connect goes Sprint is launching its own PUSH TO TALK service using technology provided by Winphoria. While i heard also that voicestream and verizon were planning to enter the Push to Talk market i have scoured the web and found no solid articles backing this claim up, whereas you can read articles coming directly from sprint and other sources that it plans to launch its PTT service end of 2002 or early 2003.

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    This is one of the best posts I've ever read on this forum. [​IMG] Someone who can really contribute some good tips instead of another "my carrier is the best and Sprint sucks" type of mentality.

3. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

My carrier is the best....lol.......J/K. I think Sprint is 14 day return policy.............Larry??

Very good post

4. tompug

tompug Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung X-427
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, T-mobile, Verizon
    yes. sprint does have a 14 day return. i tried them 2 weeks ago. i wasnt even thinking about trying them out; but they had a samsung a400 on display (i couldnt leave without this phone) i took the phone back and forth to work and all my usual travel routes and i'll tell you what a difference compared to 2 years ago when i first tried them.coverage was excellant everywhere except but at my home. verizon,att and voicestream also have no coverage in my house .nextel is the only one that works .i ended up returning the samsung and i bought a i90c. but sprint has definitely improved in my area . tompug

5. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes Sprint has improved big time in the past two years just about everywhere. Glad to hear you were open minded enough to give them another try out. Some people on this forum think that because they were bad two or three years ago that they haven't improved at all.

6. ILUVSOCAL

ILUVSOCAL Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600(me)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T(Me),Cingular(Me,Mom),Edge Wireless(Dad)
    Sprint, who's Sprint?? Never seem 'em, [​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

Larry, you really love Sprint, you probaly be the president of Sprint ,huh. Just kidding, Sprint is very nice in the Dallas area, I had Sprint service for about a year now, I also have Cingular service (By the way I'm a employee of Cingular) and their service is okay to. The only thing that I don't like about Sprint is they don't have promotions for their existing customer, like rebates,etc. Cingular have upgrade plan for existing customer to sign another year or two for another phone at the advertise price.

8. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

I also have your favorite model phone the Kyocera 2255. which I brought when I lost my Samsung 8500.[​IMG]

9. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hey dukedog,

Welcome to the forum! We need more Sprint users here. That's right I should be president of Sprint PCS!! [​IMG]

10. IdiOTeQnoLogY

well sprint doesnt have special plans for its customers (unless you count retention plans) but as a sprintpcs customer you may take advantage of any new plan (promotional or otherwise) that they offer without affecting your contract. i have changed my plan 3 times in the last year, making it effective at the beginning of my next billing cycle each time and suffered no change to my contract nor any prorating charges. Not a bad deal

11. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

12. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

Sorry! about that, what do you mean promotion plan, if you think that Sprint plans are better now than the past plan, you must be Stevie Wonder, these plan are weaker now than last year before they change the nights hour to 9:00 pm. All sprint did was give more Nights&Weekend mins it still the same daytime minutes that they offered when Night time was 8:00. So I wouldn't call that a promotion plan.[​IMG][​IMG]

13. IdiOTeQnoLogY

I agree that all the new sprint plans nightime starts at 9pm vs 8pm. I am holdin onto my alldigital plan from last year which gives me the 8pm start time. but for new customers of sprint they all get the 9pm start (which is like every other carrier in the NY METRO AREA, their nights all start at 9pm so its not like sprint customers are getting a raw deal by any means). Be that as it may for any sprint customer who signs up now will still have the choice to takeadvantage of any sprint promotional plan or other new regular plans whenever they feel like it. We all cant be as lucky to have been smart enough to sign up for sprint when 8pm was the start time [​IMG]

14. thenew3

thenew3 New Member

Good post, but I have a question:

First, let me say I currently have 6 sprint phones/plans, 2 verizon phone/plans and 1 cingular phone. (All my family members use my name to get their phones/plans due to credit reasons).

Since when does sprint allow you to change your plan without renewing your contract (1 or 2 year)? (is this in writing some where?) I've had sprint for almost 3 years now and have changed my plans about a dozen times total (combined on all 6 phones) and each time I've had to renew my 1 year contract in order to get the promotion (whatever the promotion may be). Note however only once did the sprint PCS rep tell me about the required contract renewal. All of the other reps did not mention it and twice the reps didn't even know about it when I asked. They said they didn't think it was necessary to renew the contract, but when they checked with their supervisors, they were told that a contract renewal was required in order to get a new promotional rate.

Coverage: I find converage for all 3 carriers to be roughly equal (this is in the Boston area, and I travel to NY, CT, NJ). Verizon has better coverage indoors, probably due to the use of a lower frequency CDMA (800mhz, vs 1900mhz for sprint). There are certain spots where one carrier's phone will work and anothers won't. But it's about equal among the 3.

All 3 give a large # of weekend/night minutes, but have changed their night to after 9pm. Which in my case really is useless.

But I agree with IdiOTeQnoLogY, check the coverage map BEFORE you sign the contract. Make sure you will get coverage before you buy the phone. Don't wait until after you buy the phone to complain. Do your homework!

15. IdiOTeQnoLogY

WEll you are one of the unlucky few. I myself, as well as many other people I have spoken to withc Sprint may change their plans throughout their contract withOUT renewal [​IMG] I called Sprint today, there are only a few plans from the past in which it requires a contract renewal. You must have signed on for one of those. It seems that you signed on during a small period of time when the rules were as such (or perhaps the plans u signedup for since you have so many phones with sprint, i dunno) but for the MAJORITY of sprint users and definitely for any sprint customer who signed up in the last year and who signs up now may change plans throughout their contract with no renewal. If I were you sounding like you are a valued sprint customer with so many phones hooked up for so long Id call customer care and see if you can get your situation changed.

16. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

IdiOTeQnoLogY,

While your original post is mainly true, you've also missed out on a major point...those who feel that they are not getting adequate service within the supposed coverage area on the map. Let me give you an example, Sprint PCS has supposedly indicated that they have vastly improved their service in the Chicago area...but yet their coverage map remains the same from 2 years ago. Yes there are those who don't evaluate the coverage map as closely as they should, but consider the huge number of complaints coming from service and reception problems within the printed coverage area. There was an article about this very problem and I posted it here in this wireless forum...not about the general coverage maps that carriers provide -- but on the reception quality and ACTUAL coverage within the defined coverage areas that carriers provide to the public. What the carriers don't provide is where all the troublespots (deadzones) are -- this is a good bulk of the problem.

I can give you another example...Buffalo, NY is covered on Sprint PCS's map...yet I couldn't get any signal around the Buffalo airport (indoors and outdoors) 2-3 years ago. Now you may say "Oh well I can get coverage there now" ... that's great but isn't there something wrong here? First you publish a map showing coverage and then work on building coverage years to follow? You see, that's where the problem arises in that it pisses off customers big time. BUT yes Sprint PCS at this point in time has done a good job in trying to aggressively improve their service -- not necessarily in expanding their coverage but in improving their service and coverage WITHIN the coverage area as stated on their maps printed from 4 years ago. For Sprint PCS and it's customers it was a growing pain process in building their own CDMA network "from the ground up" -- this is not a _____ about Sprint PCS, just reality of how building a network works.

I don't quite understand your assessment of GSM? You're basically saying that if a person never travels outside the US then they would not require GSM service? This is nothing new to "chew on" as its something that's quite obvious to most people. Let me jump to another point here ... you mention that you'll be cruisin' with 2.5G and 3G on your CDMA network much sooner than the GSM carriers? Can you please back up this statement with a timeline on CDMA versus GSM carriers? Your statement is not entirely true because the issue is not so black & white due to the upgrades that are being done in phases. For example, by mid-summer CDMA carriers may have launched a faster network than the GSM/GPRS carriers. But by year end, the GSM/GPRS carriers may be launching their targeted EDGE implementation and therefore leaping ahead of CDMA carriers ... and the game of leapfrog continues so on and so on ...

Again, I'm not praising GSM/GPRS/EDGE superiority nor the sole fact that it offers European roaming -- because frankly only a small percentage of the US population would need or even use their cellphone overseas. But you have to look at what AT&T Wireless and Cingular currently have (which is a TDMA system) and where their "vision" lies ahead. Their "vision" lies not in the individual users that think "oh i don't need them because I don't need international roaming" but in a bigger and grander vision of upgrading their network as best as possible right here in the US, utilizing the world's most popular standards. AT&T Wireless and Cingular hope to move forward benefiting from the economies of scale in joining the largest user base in the world, as well as the technological advances, services and application standards in-tune with the rest of the world as oppose to being several steps behind everyone. These are some of their goals and they will do it whether or not you need global roaming.

17. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Kenny,

I'll have to disagree with you on the Chicago area maps being the same as they were two years ago. They have changed considerably from two years ago. I have the maps dating back from 1999 right here in front of me and can prove it. But of course we all know Chicago has always been the trouble spot for Sprint anyway. It's too bad you have to judge them by how they are there. But another thing I should mention is that when 3G is implemented by Sprint this July, Chicago stands to gain the most from this. The 3G voice capable phones will take up much less space on the network and therefore help solve the capacity problems in Chicago. As more and more people switch to the new 3G phones the network will vastly improve.

18. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

Larry,

People judge wireless carriers based on where they use the service the most. That makes obvious sense. How can you agree with the original poster's comment that everyone should review the local maps and do a test run of the service...which is what Sprint PCS users in Chicago have done and yet say "oh well it's unfortunate that Sprint PCS' opinion as a whole are based on Chicago's sore spot?"

If your solar car works great in California but not for those in Chicago...does it make the product a shitty one? Not necessarily, but those in Chicago are entitled to their review of what they experience at home, not in sunny california. Again as I stated before, this is not a Sprint bashing but an understanding that the Chicago network is not up to par with the rest of the network and something that is understandable in trying to build a network from the ground up.

As far as the map goes, ok granted that Sprint PCS has "expanded" coverage over the past couple of years. Let's not focus on how expansive the coverage is...let's focus on how good the coverage is in the stated coverage area. Two years ago, the map showed the entire city of Chicago and adjacent suburbs yet Sprint PCS themselves acknowledged the capacity and coverage problems in Chicago. Again, in my previous post I've already given Sprint PCS a pat on the back for their buildout in the rest of the country. The problem with Chicago is not about the bitching from people who say they can't get coverage 150 miles outside the city but from those within the city and neighboring near suburbs (all covered by the map). A call will get dropped when capacity of the cell tower/sites are max'd out and thus the 2.5G/3G implementation will help out things out vastly by increasing capacity.

19. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Ok well it seems to me that all carriers will put out maps which are not completely accurate. I remember a few years back when Pac Bell in California claimed to cover the entire state but of course there were many dead zones that were too small to be seen on the map. Verizons maps will show coverage just about everywhere even though there's areas of no coverage among them. I think Sprint's maps are pretty accurate for the most part. The maps can't predict which cell sites will become overloaded and drop calls. The maps themselves even state that there's no gurantee of coverage in all areas shown as covered. But at least they try to show current areas as well as planned future areas.

As for Chicago, the network HAS improved and many new sites have been added this year and last. Sprint is working as fast as they can to solve additional problems. There was even a new PRL released to help with capacity problems in Chicago. (10014) Not everyone has this PRL and are not yet benefiting by it but they should.

20. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

This is the greatest thread I have ever read, I too agree with IdiOTeQnoLogY that customers should just do their home work. Just as people talk about Voicestream's coverage, just look at the map. Voicestream even has an individual Nationwide roaming listing, you just put in your state, and it shows the cities with which it covers. If the city isn't in the listing, then you won't get service their. Don't take your phone there, and when you get their and don't have service, come here and make them out to be the worst company on earth. Do your homework.
    I do disagree with your assessment of 2.5G/3G IdiOTeQnoLogY. Kenny is right about the leap-frog idea. I beleive GSM is close, if not at 2.5 G. Well, I'm not going to say GSM, I'm going to say Voicestream, because I don't really know what Cingular is doing. I want to be first-hand here, Voicestream is running their GPRS at up to 56k on their phones, and up to 100k on their PC Card. This is current, as of right now. I see in print the steps that Sprint PCS is taking towards 2.5G etc., but all I see of Verizon, is what they are about to do, getting ready to do. DO IT, and quit talking about it, because everyone else is doing what we call "Walking the Walk," and not just "Talking the Talk," as Verizon is doing.

I'm not going to talk about Sprint in the Chicago market, because it would be misjudgement (I don't live there).
    As for changing you rate plan without renewing your contract, I have once had to renew my contract with Voicestream, and once not. I guess it just depends on who you talk to, and what it takes to make-the-sale.
    I have to go back to the point of how much looking at the map helps, everywhere that I intend to travel with my Voicestream phone, I just look at the website. All except for once have they not had coverage where I was going. I took my phone anyways just to see, guess what, they were right. I had no signal, but I knew this before I left, so I didn't come on here and make a forum, and call them all kinds of names.
    DO YOUR HOMEWORK
    We will just have to wait and see who does the best with the 2.5G/3G stuff. Right now, Voicestream customers are enjoying the 56k data capabilities. I'm not however, because I don't have a GPRS phone yet. I'm waiting for some other GPRS phones to come out, other than what they offer right now. I have my eyes on this beauty:
    Sony Ericsson T68i

Oh yeah, can anyone explain the EDGE thing to me?

21. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    EDGE (Enhanced Data for Global Evolution) is a 3G technology solution for GSM networks. It will theoretically enable transfer rates at around 384 kbs. US GSM companies are going to EDGE as their 3G solution. It works within much of the existing spectrum, so it "should" be a pretty "smooth" transition once the time comes.

Also, aiwapro, you're a little off base on your assessment of Verizon. Verizon has already officially deployed parts of it's 1X network, where as Sprint has not. Not trying to open a can of worms here (regarding the deployement schedules and availability of Sprint's and Verizon's 1X networks), that's already been done, however since Verizon DOES have 1X networks already available, it seems to me they are "walking the walk."

22. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Does Verizon even offer any 3G phones yet besides the 2235? Sprint already has 4 or 5 3G voice capable phones on the market so when they launch their full 3G nationwide system in July there will be immediate capacity improvements in their more crowded markets like Chicago.

23. aiwapro

Thanks.

I haven't seen Sprint's steps that they are taking in action, but I have seen a really good explanation on their website a few weeks ago. That's is good enough for now.
    Where does Verizon have this technology at? Voicestream has their ISTREAM everywhere that they have their Digital GSM service.

24. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I believe they only have the Kyocera 2235 at the moment. They also sell the Sierra Wireless Aircard. In the San Diego area, they have the QCP 3035e and Sharp Z800 which are BREW enabled phones.

Here are maps of where the 1X networks are officially available.

25. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It just seems to me like they are slow in releasing the new phones. What's the point of rushing to be the first to bring 3G when you don't even have the phones to support it yet?

26. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have to agree with that, larry.

I'm surprised myself at how slow Verizon has been in releasing 1X phones (yes, I know I just opened the door for your Verizon bashing rhetoric, awiapro, so come on in [​IMG]. Before switching to Verizon a few months ago, my plan was to wait for the 1X phones. I was thinking they would release them ahead of the network availability to drum up interest and to have consumers ready to roll once the network was ready. After waiting awhile it became clear that they weren't releasing 1X phones on non-1X networks, so I went ahead and got a phone, figuring I'll upgrade in a year or so.

I don't know what they're reluctance is or what they're waiting for. I imagine once they start releasing them, they'll come out pretty quick with several options. I know that Verizon has a reputation for being very stringent in their testing of phones (probably too stringent sometimes, because I think it slows things down sometimes), maybe that's part of it....

27. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It's probably good that they are stringent in testing phones before release so they can avoid situations such as what Sprint went thru with the Nokias.

Sprint took a different approach to the 3G thing by releasing some capable phones way ahead of time. I'm guessing that the reason for this is to try to get as many customers as possible using the new phones so that when the time comes to put 3G on the air, capacity problems in certain markets will greatly improve. I've been hearing that a 3G voice capable phone will only take up half as much bandwith space on a tower than the old phones do. It's pretty good strategy I think.

28. IdiOTeQnoLogY

well kenny i never said that cdma was superior to gsm/gprs or vice versa. i was speaking about how some people insist gsm is the only technology worthwhile to get a phone on since it is the majority of the world's standard. I was merely saying that the argument that u need a gsm phone is moot unless you expect to travel overseas often; and that shortly in the future it wont even matter if you are on a cdma network in the usa since there will be cdma/gsm capable phones as well. however the majority of cingular's and at&T's network is not even GSM yet and id say they are going to have to build up mighty fast to catch up with companies like sprint verizon and voicestream who are upgrading their networks and expanding, not building up from virtually zero. in order for cingular's and at&t's gsm/gprs system to be viable it has to be a nationwide network and that is not gonna happen until they finish building it. voicestream does offer gprs right now, but from my experience with voicestream (that is my girlfriend, and many co-workers who had/have voicestream) here in ny/nj their service is terrible. and also voicestream is not in the top 4 wireless carriers in the US either. of course each carrier has their weakspot in a country, just like my carrier sprint does etc etc. as far as real true and very fast 3G goes, whether a carrier goes with wcdma or cdma2000 it all boils down to CDMA technology of one sort or another and which a carrier already using cdma has a slight advantage [​IMG] sure EDGE networks will be out in the 300 something kb/sec but in order for companies on the gsm-gprs-edge track they have to deploy wcdma to get the real high speeds. and that requires all new spectrum and is very expensive...while cdma companies can just migrate more naturally from cdma to cdma1rxtt to cdma1rxtt-evdo (?? i think that's it) and be pumpin out 2 megabit/sec speeds [​IMG] isnt it lovely

29. aiwapro

Not that isn't perfect IdiOTeQnoLogY, itdiot, or whatever; EDGE will provide a smooth transition from GPRS to it. It will not require a new spectrum. Of course Voicestream isn't in the top four (4) carriers, they are kinda new. They haven't been around quite as long, as other carriers, and their Nationwide service doesn't consist of a lot of roaming agreements, like some providers. How can Voicestream be in the top four carriers, if they're service isn't fully across the US. They are missing service in 11 states. I'm not talking about analog, I'm talking about Digital service. That is why Verizon can say that they are a Nationwide company, because of analog. In my view, that doens't count. I mean it counts because you can use your phone, but you can't use the features & technology that provider has been working towards for all these years.

Yeah Malial, that's quite a big 1x area that Verizon has themselves (ha ha). I'm sure that they will build out, but WHEN is the question, sometime or another I guess.
    Actually Malial, I'm not gonna bash on them not releasing their 1x phones, I'm just gonna keep bashing on their 1x network altogether. WHEN Malial I say, WHEN?

30. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    A few comments on stuff in the thread....

EDGE is the first 3G implementation for the GSM carriers. VS has said that they will be rolling out EDGE starting late this year and continuing into 2003. Will they turn it on this year? I dunno I would guess not until their whole network is ready as they did with GRPS/iStream link

The next implementation of 3G is wCDMA, also known as UMTS. That will give the GSM carriers the Mbps+ speeds (not sure of numbers) Yes it is based on CDMA. I don't know its exact timeframe. 2004 in USA I would guess.

Then we move into 4G [​IMG]

As for GSM/CDMA phones, well, *not exactly*. There will be GSM/TDMA phones (Nokia 6340 and Siemens S45 (model no. might be wrong) are two come to mind. QCOM has announced a chipset that will use GSM and be able to use cdma200 1xrtt for data. As I understand it, it's a stop-gap proposal since QCOM says you can still hop to wCDMA if you want.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...