Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint-Mobile – One Carrier to Rule Them All?

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by CRC, Mar 9, 2011.

1. CRC

CRC Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    According to sources at Businessweek, Sprint has been seeking to grab a piece of T-Mobile USA. The reported negotiations haven’t been getting off to a very promising start as a value for T-Mobile can not be determined. T-Mobile has also been seeking a possible purchase of Clearwire as an alternative to the deal with Sprint. It should be noted that Deutsche Telekom, current owner of T-Mobile, CFO Timotheus Hoettges has said ”In general, all options are open in the U.S. — the sale of the whole business or of parts”. However, the carrier is currently not under any pressure to rush into any decisions, so an actual answer regarding the possible merger or other ventures is still unclear.

A few questions arise when I think about a possible merger of the nation’s number three and four.

* How would it work with one of them being GSM and the other being CDMA?
    * What would come in the future of 4G for these carriers?
    * What would the rebrand be?
    * Would the FCC even allow this merger?
    * Would the new super-carrier be a formidable opponent for the current super powers?

It’s definitely a curious proposition. Any thoughts?

Source: Slash Gear

AndroidSPIN » Sprint-Mobile – One Carrier to Rule Them All?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    It sure would be bad for competition. The more competition the better the chance that the players will compete with better offerings or lower pricing.

Since the goal is to go to LTE the 2G network may stay in place for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2G network got converted (back) to GSM. Sprint PCS when it first started in DC was GSM!

When Verizon was starting out and they converted all the former Airtouch, Bell Atlantic, and GTE the places that had GTE couldn't convert to Verizon so they were converted to Cingular [pre-AT&T] (at least in Seattle) and if you were with GTE you had to get a replacement GSM handset.

3. Yugopro

Yugopro Senior Member

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    I need GSM. I travel.

I love T-Mobile.

I had Sprint, bad customer service, bad penetration of buildings, and no roaming in Europe.

I had AT&T, expensive.

Pray Sprint does not come out on top.

Oh the Horror!

4. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I'm just not so sure about this. The two combined would be relatively close (subscriber-wise) to the big two, but still off by 10 million or so. But once again, Sprint would be merging with a rival operating on a different technology. It blew up in their face with Nextel. What would happen with an acquired carrier more than double the size Nextel was when they were bought out?

T-Mobile's already losing customers, so is this something Sprint wants to take on after finally getting out of the last mess?

I like the idea of T-Mobile (DT actually) acquiring spectrum from Clearwire. This sounds more feasible.

Who knows, maybe a Sprint/T-Mobile union wouldn't be the calamitous disaster the Sprint/Nextel merging was. Though there were benefits of the S/N merger, the negatives far outweighed the positives for a LONG time, as Sprint is just coming out of the dark after, what, 5-6 years?

I'm glad I'm not a T-Mobile customer right now...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. CRC

CRC Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Thanks All for the info! Sure hope it doesn't happen. I've been very happy with T-Mobile! I agree with you YugoPro, I like my T-Mobile too!

Mike...why do you say you're glad your not a TM customer now. Do you know something I don't?

Any updates anyone? This came to light again because my co-worker brought it up today.

Thanks!
    Chris

6. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    No, Chris. I say that because things aren't going so well for Magenta.

It's just a feeling I get that T-Mobile's future is too uncertain. Will DT sell? They say no, but what does that really mean? A combo with Sprint? I don't have a problem with Sprint, but I would NOT want to a part of T-Mobile if that happens. What other choices do they have?

T-Mobile can't continue growing with their current spectrum. This is why it would be cool if they got some of Clearwire's spectrum. But my other concern with this is how long will it sustain them? Can they really continue competing successfully with VZ and AT&T (each 3x T-Mobile's size)? I don't want to see 4 major carriers go down to 3 or, God forbid, 2...

Their phone selection is lousy compared to AT&T, IMO. I just don't get a good feeling about them anymore and am glad they're not my primary (or secondary) carrier.

Verizon may be draconian, but they're stable and strong. Can't say that about T-Mo. Just my opinion, though.

7. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I have to agree it doesn't look good for T-Mobile now. It is amazing what can happen in a year. This time last year T-Mobile looked great (network expansion, plans, phones, CS) , and that is why I switched. But now it's all going downhill, and why I switched back to Sprint :( I don't want to see only three major carriers, but a merger with a aggressive push to LTE is the only way I can see it working well for all the companies involved.

8. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile will in most likelihood never be as big a carrier as either AT&T or Verizon. As you say they are spectrum poor. Both of those companies started out big so there's nowhere to go except up for them. Even before the days of 3G/4G they were disadvantage because they were PCS rather than cellular and they already had the largest number of subscribers. I'll tell you this that if T-Mobile bite the dust things will be worse for those with the two biggies since there will be less competition. Without competition there's no incentive for carriers to have any value since there's not much to choose from. Canada while a much smaller mobile market than the US shows us that with no competition there's no incentive to be competitive.

9. CRC

CRC Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Thanks Mike and Budney! Not sure what I want to do now. I am under contract with T-Mobile till the end of October. I could get a new phone with them in June or at the end of August, but not sure I want to do that now that this is coming up.

I have received offers from this MNVO through Sprint that offers up to a $200 contract buyout, but since the majority of my family and friends are on Verizon, that would be almost counter-productive. Also there plans are not the same as Sprint's, so I couldn't get that $69 unlimited everything plan.

Guess I'll wait awhile and see! Also my co-worker wants to buy my Bold-9700, so that'll help. Wish VZW would do a contract buyout or credit...that would make my decision easier! :)

#9 CRC, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  10. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    You're acting like this thing whatever it is will be going to happen tomorrow or the next week. It's likely that if something happens it will take months not days if indeed it happens at all. You're obsessing over something that no one has said will really happen and if it does it will take some time to come about. There's absolutely no need to make any panicked decision in the next day or even months.

1 person likes this.
  11. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Use what works best for you Chris. Don't let these merger rumors cloud your judgment as Telekom mentioned. Don't even think about switching until you personally start having issues with T-Mobile's coverage, CS, etc. :)

1 person likes this.
  12. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    It would be nice if DT would make a clear decision for T-Mobile. It's the endless speculation clouding T-Mo's future that bothers me. I get the feeling DT doesn't know what to do with them. This is the reason T-Mobile doesn't instill confidence in me that they'll be around in the future.

Sprint is the only likely merger partner. I highly doubt the FCC would ever allow an AT&T/T-Mobile union. Then again, who knows?

I don't want to see T-Mobile leave the scene, in any capacity. But all this "talk" reminds me of the old AT&T Wireless as their ship began to sink. I hope it's not history repeating itself again.

1 person likes this.
  13. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Part of the problem as I see it for AT&T Wireless (as opposed to AT&T Mobility) is that they made some poor choices and had some bad situations at the time. When AT&T had the vision that they were going to change from the IS-136 "TDMA" system to GSM is that at the time GSM came in only one flavor i.e. on the PCS 1900 band only. They attempted to run their whole GSM network on PCS and it did not go well at all since PCS does not propagate as well as cellular 850. Cingular deployed GSM later than AT&T Wireless did and waited til the handsets and infrastructure was there so they could use GSM on 850. They also did this because Cingular didn't have much native PCS coverage except in properties they inherited from Pac Bell and Bell South Mobility DCS which were GSM from the outset. AT&T Wireless' deployment of GSM was very faulted. Along with the problem of transitioning people to GSM on a network that wasn't built out right for PCS GSM they also had major problems mucking up WNP (Wireless Number Portability) and really mucked it up badly. Cingular bought AT&T Wireless at a fire sale price since they were doing so poorly. That's how I see the original AT&T Wireless troubles.

2 people like this.
  14. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Thanks for the clarification. T-Mobile's situation is definitely nothing like old AT&T Wireless.

I do hope things improve for T-Mobile and that they can prosper and remain around for a long time. No more major carrier consolidation, please!

15. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    AT&T Wireless gave away the store, that was also a part of their demise.

16. CRC

CRC Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Thanks Telekom & Joe! Didn't mean to sound so "whiny" & "woe is me" like! Guess I'll just stick with what I have & like, then move forward with an upgrade when available. If in the distant future they do make a switch or merger (if ever!), I'll deal with it then and let them make me an offer I can't refuse! :D

Liked your clarification an explanation of AT&T's history as well Telekom! Didn't AT&T give up someof their PCS band when AT&T re-branded from Cingular? Also, didn't T-Mobile take some 850 bandwidth as well? Is that what you meant Joe by AT&T "giving up the store"?

Thanks again guys...and Mike too! :)

17. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    In California (and I believe Nevada too), along with New York, Cingular and T-Mobile did swap spectrum. They had been in an arrangement for co-use. Cingular allowed T-Mobile use of PCS spectrum in CA/NV (old PacBell PCS), and T-Mobile allowed Cingular use of PCS in the New York City area.

When Cingular took over AT&T, they were able to move to AT&T's spectrum in both areas. Allowing T-Mobile to have its NY spectrum all to itself, and giving T-Mobile their own spectrum in CA/NV via PCS 1900 they had been sharing with Cingular.

I believe what Joe was referring too was AT&T undercutting phone prices and/or plans that ultimately lost them a lot of money and was a factor in their demise (I'm guessing here, so someone correct me if I'm wrong).

18. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    In a way, T-Mobile is facing the same issue AT&T had with UMTS: 5 MHz chunks. If T-Mobile could deploy a single 3G channel in 1900, they would lower the entry barrier to AT&T customers that would like to migrate to T-Mobile, because they could still use their 3G handsets. Then, if they fully buy in, they can upgrade to an AWS capable handset. There would also be some efficiency improvements to using UMTS over GSM. But that 5MHz minimum makes it hard (plus guard bands).

AT&T and VZW have also been hurting T-Mobile by not using their 1700 AWS. Without a major carrier asking for AWS support, T-Mobile is left to drive support nearly by themselves (MetroPCS/Cricket help).

Their absence from the 700 MHz auction is foreboding too. T-Mobile's only sub 1GHz spectrum is a couple licenses they picked up in North Carolina from a buyout there (I'm not even sure they kept it). If Sprint can ever fully finish SMR rebanding, then their 800 MHz spectrum could be very useful and is probably a major consideration in a merger. It would effectively make 850 a three-party system instead of two.

19. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    You are correct Mike, they also gave added minutes to your account if you called and complained about an issue or something.
    It was kind of sad, the reps were scared rabbits trying to keep customers by keeping them happy with perks.

20. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    This is slightly off topic but carriers seem to take the giving away of minutes as an easy solution.

Any time I complained about my reception problems to Verizon, they give me 50 extra minutes, how does that help if I can't even use the ones I had. :rolleyes:

21. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The only thing that was "given up" was areas that they held more than a reasonable amount. If it was deemed that it was uncompetitive other companies were given the license. As for 850 T-Mobile has never had any native 850 holdings it's always been for 1900 "PCS." What I meant by "giving up the store" is that AT&T had been in such a brutal place that the price for buying the company was much lower than the price should have been. Cingular (i.e. SBC/Bell South) got it cheaper.) Cingular re-named themselves as AT&T when SBC bought out Bell South similar to the way that NCNB (North Carolina National Bank) bought Bank of America and took the name of the company that they bought out for better name recognition. Happened just about the time of the introduction of iPhone 2G waaaaay back in June of 2007.

22. mframe

mframe Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 3aXL, Moto G7 Power
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TracFone, PagePlus, TMO, Xfinity, H2O
    As I recall, Cingular didn't get an entirely fire-sale price for AT&T Wireless. Vodaphone wanted it pretty badly, and there was some tense back-and-forth bidding, for a little while.

23. mikewho

mikewho Junior Member

The main thing tmobile needs to do is figure out the best next steps and go after them full force. A little bit of this, a little bit of that wont be enough.

DT needs to really decide which direction they want to take tmobile whether it be merger with sprint, etc.

Whatever they choose they cant do it halfway. I like tmobile and hope they bounce back and am confident they can.