Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint = Lousy Coverage and Service

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by Ruhi, Oct 25, 2001.

1. Ruhi

Ruhi New Member

After having done the research, decided to get Sprint service and purchased two TP5200 phones and subscribe to Family plan. The selling point was 14 days satisfaction guaranty. It turned out that one of the phones was not holding the cahrge the other one failed the "signal reception test" which both performed by the Sprint store technicians. We were offered replacement of a lesser or equivalent value phones since they didn't have them in stock. Considering the fact that there were no chance of getting any reception in any building we have been (UCSD area) we decided to returned them. My wife had to go out to the parking lot to make phone calls from the hotel in Sacremento. On campus, even outside, if I were to move few steps I would loose connection.... They took the phones back. Turns out I had to call SPrint to cancel the service contract. I didn't have to call Sprint to sign up but now I had to! I did. After 50minutes of holding a rep with a nasty attitude informed me about all the cahrges which I will be billed for including but not limited to sign up fee of $35 for each line. There was no point of arguing and I hung up.
    It appears to me that the wireless providers covered all corners and they know how to screw their customers with or without a service. I, as for one, am done once, and not going to have a cellular service till they meet at least European standards of cellular service.
    I now fell better having had the steam off.

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Ruhi,

A couple of my relatives went through the very same experience (different phones though). They cancelled their service within 3 or 4 days. They indeed had to pay the service-useage, but I don't remember them having to pay anything else. The rep you got is probably just a bad apple. Don't give up so easy. Call back until you get satisfaction. The FCC has helped resolve cases before against Sprint, so you are not alone.

The biggest problem my relatives faced was the continued and inaccurate billing that went on for 3 to 4 months. Yes, they were billed their monthly contract rate even though they didn't even have the phones after the first few days of the first billing cycle. It is too bad that Sprint continues to treat their customers with such disregard. Someday they might get it together, but obviously still not yet.

My relatives went with Verizon and have been very pleased with that company. I have been an ATT Wireless customer since 1994 and have had wonderful service.

Kevin

3. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The truth is Sprint cannot provide indoor coverage to any of the UC campuses in California because those campuses simply won't allow any additional antenna sites to be built. The ban took effect sometime in 1997 before Sprint had a chance to apply for any sites. This is where other carriers have an advantage since they started building their networks much earlier and were able to sneak a site or two in before the ban. The Cal States have much better coverage.

4. Leah

Leah Junior Member

Most contracts state that if your return the phone w/in your "trial period" you get everything back but the airtime you used. (Including Roaming, long distance, taxes, etc.) Normally you would get everything else back. What does your contract say??

5. Ruhi

Ruhi New Member

Thanks for the informative and encouraging replies. Since I've posted my message, I started getting "welcome to Sprint" mail. Started the service on Oct 6th and canceled on 12th. The future bills and charges remain to be seen.
    In regards to what contract says, it is not clear to me that "14 days" no questions asked policy exludes activation fee. The sales person at their brand name store, explicitly stated that "if it didn't work for us, we could return all for a full refund". As a consumer, I would take it as good as a written contract. Besides, you don't get a chance to see the actual contract after you sign and it mailed to you. One of the questions I have been asked by the Sprint Customer Sevice rep was if I knew how to read/write and it was my responsibility to read before I agreed to anything.

6. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Legally, you have the right to see ANY contract before signing it. When I went into a Verizon store a few months back, I told them I wanted to see the forms I would be signing before any discussion took place. Surprisingly, they even let me take them home.

Kev