Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

sprint internet at disney

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by Airb330, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It is useless. This post took over 90 minutes to load. Funny thing is that voice service is fine. 3g is ok in epcot and Hollywood studios but literally not usable elsewhere. I expect slower service due to high demand but they might as well turn off data service. ec/io isn't too high and the db levels are actually decent... it must be the back haul.

Always thought sprint was weak in Orlando but wow this is bad.

2. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    Your post is why I left Sprint. I noticed that their data services were failing literally everywhere I went. Michigan, New York, Florida.....everywhere.

It's sad, really.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rfhunter

rfhunter New Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM/UMTS
    Disney as in land?

4. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 27 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 12 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Disney as in World in Orlando, FL.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I am starting to see lousy data speeds here in Phoenix. What is odd is that upload speeds are not suffering. I routinely get upload speeds of around 0.6 Mbps while my download speeds are about 0.5 Mbps!

6. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That's about all I ever get in Delaware but speedy enough.

I'm at epcot now so its ok. I think Sprint has too many prepaid data users...they better watch out or risk losing postpaid ones. Look at virgin mobile, 25 for mins and data while I pay 150 for useless internet. I notice iPhones to be slow too and ATT should rule Orlando.

4g was a joke of course. Picked it up a few times on the way to Disney, but it dropped to 3g. Wimax is a joke.

7. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I also found on Sprint that my upload would be just fine, but download would be in the garbage. And yea, Sprint is giving away the farm on pre-paid while post-paid suffered.
    Also, I agree what 4G wimax is very difficult to lock on to

8. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I guess this will take the thread further off course, but I have real trouble understanding Sprint's post-paid vs. pre-paid pricing model.

AFAIK, Sprint is the only company which sells its wholly owned (non-MVNO) prepaid service at a significant discount over what it sells it's postpaid service at.

If you are a single-line account and you don't want or need a 4G device, it makes zero sense to select Sprint over Virgin/Boost (unless you like the idea of paying $20+ extra per month to be able to roam). Boost/Virgin offer BlackBerry and Android phones, so even needing or wanting a smartphone isn't enough to steer people away from pre-paid.

9. rfhunter

rfhunter New Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM/UMTS
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Back OT...I heard this from @MouseWait who has learned that AT&T will be installing 6 new towers in the vicinity of Disneyland http://bit.ly/cRcSdL

This was posted online over a month ago. I also read elsewhere they were upgrading the fiber DAS there.

10. hme83

hme83 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia E7, E70-2 & 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    It's really the same way with at&t - if you are a post paid customer, you'll pay $70/month for an unlimited voice only plan. If you want to add unlimited messaging (domestic only) to that it'll run you another $20/month. On their current prepaid plans, there is an unlimited talk and text (which includes messaging with 100 other countries) for only $60/month.

Of course, as you indicate - the roaming coverage is not there with a prepaid account. But imo, if you don't need the roaming coverage, the only users who are better off choosing a post paid plan with at&t are those who can take advantage of the significant discounting given to family plan members. Also depending on your data needs, that can complicate the choice between prepaid vs. post paid on at&t.

11. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well I was never impressed with Sprint in Orlando, and I do not live there, so at least that was a short-term problem for me.

The slow internet speeds have followed me home! ;) At work, I am getting 10-15kbps downloads where it used to be an already paltry 200-400kpbs (-72 db signal). At home I routinely am lucky to get 500kbps. I live behind a massive tower with every carrier except for Verizon, so there is no excuse (-67db signal). Heck, even 4G went from 6mbps to 2.5. 4G coverage is an absolute joke as it is, so I never rely on that, even in my own house behind a tower with clear panels....it still drops signal all the time. I wish the 4G network was better to at least lighten the load on the 3G network, but its just terrible. I can see the closest AT&T tower from my work (Clear is on there as well), but cannot get 4G service even OUTSIDE from it. 3G uploads are consistently 300-800 everywhere I go...so that isn't really a problem.

What is going on?

I've had terrible service in Las Vegas (Voice/Internet) and Orlando (Internet), and now slow 3G speeds are creeping into Delaware, S. NJ, and Philadelphia. Overall Sprint is still the best fit for me, but if I was not under contract I would consider AT&T again, just not with an iDropCalls iPhone. Wish I could say its my EVO, but my partner is noticing his phone is really slow too.

To be fair to Sprint, Verizon consistently sucks in Delaware still. My blackberry, even with a horrible web browser, has a hard time loading websites. So internet and voice still beat Verizon's overloaded network. I swear if I hear one more "Verizon's the best" here at work I'm going to freak out--terrible internet speeds and voice quality. [My company is forced by the state to use VZ even though it doesn't work at 2/3 of our facilities outside even while Sprint and AT&T do]. It doesn't even get 3G in my house in NJ (-88 signal), so it's not just DE I guess! And to think they pay $80 a month for this blackberry too :loony:

12. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have no proof of this, but I think Sprint's decision to go with all-you-can-eat plans for both postpaid and Virgin/Boost CDMA users has led to a clogged data network. Data speeds for me around Phoenix typically are half of what they were a year ago at this time.

13. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The two of you are not alone, that is why I left Sprint. Over the last year, their EVDO network has really just crapped out. Sprint just does not have the money to add backhaul to sites like they should be. And as Airb said, Verizon isn't always much better in places. The regulars here know my troubles with Verizon in Michigan, but for the most part, they didn't follow me home to Long Island. Data speeds here typically don't go under 300 kbps, and often hit over 2000kbps.

I have to disagree about clear 4g though. With my clear ispot, I almost always hit it's 6mbps limit, and coverage (at least stationary) is pretty decent. Can't use it at all while moving though.

14. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Looks like I made the right choice moving to Verizon. I went to Best Buy on the Queens Nassau county border today, and they had Samsung Galaxy Tabs from Verizon and Sprint side by side. I downloaded the speedtest app on both, and let it run a few times. Verizon, which actually has a relatively low signal in this mall area topped out at around 700-800kbps, which is low for them around here. Then....there was sprint. See attached:

Attached Files:

15. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Oh really? In the month of December 2010 alone they added over 1,000 new EVDO carriers all across the U.S.

16. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Maybe they did, and but it has taken far too long to get that done. Having data speeds of this level is unacceptable in this major areaareas where 4G is there with the backhaul to spare.

17. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    At least you have 4G there. ;) Here in PHX the data speeds are getting progressively worse and 4G is months (years?) away.

18. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    We do have 4G here in NY, but I am on the extreme eastern edge of the current coverage. We have no 4G back where I am in Michigan.

19. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Matt, that shouldn't be the case. Some good evdo enhancements are being made around Phoenix. I will send you the list of the sites next time I have an opportunity to sort through it and write them down. I bet you will start to see improvements soon.

20. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That's cool, I would appreciate that. I might even do some investigating of my own once you have had a chance to get me the list.

At my office speeds are good, about 1200kbps download and 800 up. In and around most of Mesa and Tempe I top out around 500kbps down and get 700 up :loony: So I suppose I should have clarified and noted that upload speed is not an issue, but then I never upload much of anything from my phone.

21. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I usually saw the same thing as well. Download speeds would hit the floor, but upload speeds would remain decent. I see that on Verizon as well. It must just be a quirk of EVDO.

22. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Here's a typical example of my crappy Sprint data speeds.

Attached Files:

23. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Crappy? lol, that download speed looks OK to me! In Michigan during peak times, I am lucky to see 20kbps on either Sprint or Verizon, and 200kbps in NYC on Sprint.

24. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well I guess it isn't crappy for EVDO...but that is almost as good as it gets. I can post plenty of screen shots with speeds around 150kbps. :)

25. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Hey yankees, this one is for you...speed test results from yesterday afternoon.

Attached Files:

26. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    There ya go! Could still be worse like it is in Lansing, MI on vzw and sprint. I am actually on a bus right now that has wifi with Sprint EVDO for backhaul. Lets just say that it isnt fast, but there are probably too many people on it.

EDIT: Did another test, and EVDO in this spot even on a shared connection was pretty fast. At least some areas are good (though I am in the middle of nowhere)
    [​IMG]

27. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Just to highlight how variable things are...my office is 3 miles east of the place I was running the speed tests yesterday. Sitting at my desk, in my office (inside a 2-story brick building with no window) these are the results I am getting. Nothing has been under 800kbps down and 400kbps up, and this screen shot is the best speed I have seen in quite some time.

Attached Files:

28. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint varies wildly site to site. Some sites have gotten upgrades, other have been ignored. Back in Michigan today, and I am finding that the local Verizon network is as bad as ever today. My Droid 2 registered 80 users on its EVDO MAC channel earlier. That can't be right. Steady at 59 now.

29. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It's crazy how variable things are, both within the same company and between two companies with the same technology. Two co-workers of mine, one with an Eris and another with the Fascinate can't top 350kpbs down on VZW in the same place I can get 1000+ on Sprint.

30. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yea, there are just so many variables that determine what speeds you get. The problem here is that Verizon just went and turned off the Alltel network and moved allllll those users to the vzw network. They are aware of the issue here and should be replacing the site soon (I hope). This is a unique area due to the inflow of workers everyday.