Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint in Cache Valley, Utah

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by nick2588, Jun 29, 2007.

1. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Anyone know much about Sprint's coverage in the Logan, UT area? I've been with T-Mobile for a year now and my contact is up in about a week. I've been generally satisfied with them, but I'm tempted to try the Sprint SERO plan (I thought my $45 bill with T-Mobile for 1500 minutes + 400 SMS + 400 MMS was good, but $30 including nights & weekends at 7pm, unlimited text, and unlimited data seems like an absolute steal). Has anyone else been swayed by SERO and if so, was it worth it?

T-Mobile's signal strength seems very strong throughout Cache Valley. My phone has at least 4 bars throughout the length of Sardine Canyon along US-89 between Logan and Brigham City. Of course, I have service all along I-15 as well and throughout the Provo/Orem area, where I also spend a good deal of time (I have 5 bars while in the elevator in my Orem office). Back to Logan: In town and on USU campus (inside stores and campus buildings) I seem to usually have a strong signal as well, except when I am in building basements (in which case I have no service whatsoever). How does Sprint compare with T-Mobile in terms of coverage/reception in Utah (and specifically in Cache Valley)? How is the call quality? Does their customer service stack up?

Also, any suggestions for a good, thin Sprint phone? I'm kind of hating the look and gigantic size of all of Sprint's phones. Right now I'm looking at the Samsung m610 (mainly because it's comparable in size to my current phone and it is pretty thin). My current T-Mobile phone is a Samsung t809 slider and I've been very pleased with it. I was extremely disappointed in Sprint's selection of phones and how "crippled" they are with all the Sprint crap. My T-Mobile Samsung phone seems pristine compared to the menus/home screen/interface of the Sprint Samsung phones I looked at in the store -- they are just so much more cluttered and clunkier to use. :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. PCSuser

PCSuser Senior Member

My Phone:
    PPC-6700 w/ WM6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS - happily holding crystal clear calls!
    Welcome to WirelessAdvisor!

Yes I was taken over by SERO. It is deifnantly worth it; especially with the EvDo network! I love my unlimited texting, data, and 500 minutes all for $30. On top of that you get all the norms like voicemail, caller id, call waiting, and 3-way. And text-to-landline, and voicesms!

With Sprint if you don't get good serviceon the home network you can force roam - either VZW or Alltel (depending on your area - Alltel is high on the PRL though). And you can roam anywhere off network, or even while in a Sprint service area! And they do NOT neg the PRLs - nor do they limit your roaming usage.

They don't cap data, or cripple the bluetooth. Nor do the re-do your songs that you download - they come as they are sent.

In my area the call quality no matter if I have -100 dBm, or -50 dbM (in field test mode) it is crystal clear. And Sprint give you credits if you report a dropped call. Sprints regular CS is okay; its based in India but its better than most Indian CS centres. Also with the SERO plan you get Employee Relations which is based in the US, and they are very helpful.

Sprints phone are very good. They give you OnDemand, and Sprint TV - and do not have a crippled UI like VZW (if that is why your are saying they are 'crippled - see my above posts - VZW cripples phones, NOT Sprint)

The Sanyo 8400 is a great phone. It has the highspeed mobile broadband (EvDo) connection, its durable, and great easy to use UI - but advanced enough for me as a techie. Its easy to get into engineering mode too (field test mode with dBms). This phone has the best RF in the Sprint line up - its made for the 1900 band that Sprint uses, but also does great on the 850 band as well. And the phone is only $99.99.

Any other questions just ask.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 PCSuser, Jun 29, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  3. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Hey there, Nick!

I have a friend up in the Cache Valley with Sprint and she travels down here to Salt Lake quite a bit and has no complaints. Every time I have been to the Cache Valley Sprint has done fine as far as I tested it. I don't think you will have many problems- I'm not sure how their indoor coverage in the places you specified stacks up.

Along I-15 you shouldn't have many problems, Orem/Provo has good coverage, but coverage with any carrier may be just bad in that one specific area you need it to work in, like your home/office so try it out yourself. You have 30 days, nothing to lose.
    A Sprint phone will always roam on Verizon for free here in Northern Utah if it ever loses the Sprint signal.

Let us know what you decide on and how your coverage is up there!

Andy

4. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Well I can tell you it is good coverage in provo/orem since I live and work in the area. I also do a lot of driving in Utah county and the only bad parts are on the southern tip other than that it is great. Logan is really good as well I have been there alot to see my brother who lives there. I would not get the 610 instead get the M510 IMO it is a fra better phone with a smaller screen and the battery lasts longer on that phone than the 610. Please contact me if you have any questions I would love to help you decide. I wanted to add as well the M510 got a little better recpetion and the sound quality was better I tried both out really good so I can have a good biased opinion/

5. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Thanks for your help, guys! I took the plunge and signed up for a SERO plan on Friday. I did end up choosing the m510. After reading some more reviews online, it seems many people agree that the m510 gets better reception/battery life with almost identical features. I went and looked at the phones again in the store and I realized that the m610 is pretty huge when you are holding it up to your face (like the Razr) and I'm not used to that so I decided to go with the smaller m510. Plus, the m510 was only $29.

As for coverage, I'm not worried about Provo/Orem. It's large enough that I trust Sprint will have me covered. My friend here in Provo has Sprint and his phone generally works. I talked to some other friends in Logan and they say that they have good coverage up there. I know one of my roommates had Sprint last year, and I'm thinking it generally worked well. Even if it's not as good as T-Mobile (but I'm thinking they are going to be pretty much identical, with good coverage all around with just different "weak" spots). I know that it is going to be infinitely better coverage than AT&T! [Poor AT&T people couldn't even make calls in the buildings unless they crowded around the windows, and even then they would only get 1 bar.]

It would definitely be smart for me to take a drive up to Logan while I am on my 30-day trial and wonder around, making sure I get good coverage everywhere, inside buildings, etc. I'll let you know how it works out.

6. PCSuser

PCSuser Senior Member

My Phone:
    PPC-6700 w/ WM6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS - happily holding crystal clear calls!
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.8462/20; U; en))

Welcome To The Sprint Family! Www.sprintusers.com Is A Great Place For Sprint Folk.

7. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Congrats on getting Sprint service- I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    As to AT&T/Cingular up there. I was up there once with Cingular service and it was horrible- I have also heard from different people that Cingular is still not very good up there. Oh well. Let us know how Sprint works out for you and keep posting/browsing the forum. It's great to have another Utahan on this board!

8. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Congrats I know you are going to like the phone one thing you are going to need to make sure of is to log onto to your account with sprint and make sure all the features were added. The one thing most people have been saying that was not included was the text messaging and the 7pm nights. I am going to send you a PM with my number so you can get a hold of me if you have any questions about this and I will also provide you some information on how to get additional services with your plan that you might like.

9. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Wow you are being nice...I smell you wanting a referral. :D

Ryan is correct about making sure that everything was added onto your SERO Plan. When I got my SERO account, the Unlimited SMS was not added correctly and I had to call in and have them add it. To make sure there are no billing errors, I would call CS as soon as possible to get it added.

10. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    No, No referral jus want to help

11. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I know, I'm just giving you a hard time. Btw, I still have not gotten my referral through, but I'm dreading talking to CS.

12. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    WHat you need to do is when you call that number wait and then it will connect you with the right people.

13. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yeah I know. I will do it tomorrow before my 15 days are up. I just hope the wait time won't be long. :O

14. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Referral credits usually take about 30 to 40 days to get.

15. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Lennyj17 posted a direct customer service number for Sprint that's supposed to have no wait time. Make sure you use that in the future.

16. rcallen7

rcallen7 New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX5500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I'll bet you don't have much of a signal thru "Sardine Canyon". The road thru Sardine Canyon was closed in the late 1940s and is impassable. Did you mean maybe Wellsville Canyon, Dry Lake, and Box Elder Canyon coming out into Brigham City?

17. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sorry, lol, I was actually talking about Sprint's automated system not letting me get the referral credit because they say my phone has been activated for more than 15 days, which is not true.

18. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Sure sure... I'm still calling it Sardine Canyon along with everyone else. USDOT and NHTSA agrees ( UTAH-Sardine Canyon Project ) as does KSL ( ksl.com - Accident in Sardine Canyon Kills Three ), even though KSL is by no means an authoritative source. Then again, neither is The Deseret News ( deseretnews.com | Utah legends ).

The automated system isn't letting me get a referral credit, either. It just says that this account is not eligible for a referral. Is it talking about my account or the person's number I am typing in? And either way, why not? Do referrals no longer work with SERO plans?

They also missed unlimited text from my plan. I called and someone in India said they added it. I had to wait on hold for about 23 minutes, but then he added it just like that without any trouble.

On the plus side, though, it looks like my phone was free (it was supposed to be $29.99, but the salesperson said something was wrong with the "promotion" so I had to pay the full $138.94 at sign up, and then he said he would credit me the difference ... it looks like I was actually credited the full $138.94 to my account). I guess we'll see if my first bill includes a charge for the phone itself for $29.99 or what.

When I called to ask about the USB data cable (website says the m510 comes with a cable, but it doesn't), they apologized for the error on the website and gave me a $25 credit on my account, saying I could go and purchase my own cable from Best Buy if I wanted one. She also said that if the cable ended up costing more than $25, I could call her back and she would increase the credit.

I have better reception at my home in Provo with Sprint than T-Mobile. Unlimited data is pretty cool. I've never used data on a cell phone before. It's definitely not necessary, but it's much more fun to watch YouTube instead of play the stupid 30-second demo version of Tetris when you are desperate at the airport, for example.

Except for picture mail instead of just regular MMS, so far I am a very happy customer. :)

19. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Ahh ok. That's the first time I've ever heard of that happening before. It's always worked perfectly for the ones I did (and there were quite a few). But I guess since you're not going to keep it then there's no point in doing the referral right? Because if you cancel in the trial period the referral will also cancel.

20. rcallen7

rcallen7 New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX5500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I realize that the $7 an hour clerks call it Sardine. Some folks in Brigham (where I lived for 13 years) do too. But the fact is that if one looks on a detailed map of Cache County Sardine Canyon is east of the present road. The old road is still visible on the south face of the dry lake area heading east. The point where one comes up over the ridge going south and can look down into the dry lake is called Sardine Summit and that is legitimate. I pointed out to Spencer Kinnard one time that calling it Sardine Canyon was incorrect. He checked around and wrote back agreeing with me. The Ogden Examiner knew better too, and a few years ago there was an article in the Deseret News that said the same thing: no road through Sardine Canyon. But somehow the error lives on, rather like saying "it is up to up and I to do this". It is up to you and me, not you and I, but it is getting so common that it may be a lost cause to say it correctly. The barbarians are winning.

Nevertheless, the highway from Brigham to Cache Valley goes up Box Elder Canyon past Mantua to Sardine Summit, descends into and crosses Dry Lake, and then goes down Wellsville Canyon and comes out near Wellsville. A road that crosses the highway coming from Wellsville at an angle goes back up SE and is the old road into Sardine Canyon (which was closed when I was a little boy back in the late 1940s).

Sorry, the term "Sardine Canyon" to describe the drive from Brigham to Cache is one of my pet peeves.

21. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I'm glad you are happy with Sprint so far. If coverage is working out great for you and you're happy with your phone, I don't foresee any problems, especially with the great rate plan you are on. ;)
    As for the $25 credit they gave you- that's one thing you gotta love about Sprint- they would give you the farm if you'd ask. ;)

22. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Don't be sorry- that actually was a very interesting read and I can say that I learned something today. ;)
    I have lived in Utah for the past 5 years and never knew that, hehe.

23. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I tried again today to get the referral credit and it gave me the "more than 15 days" error, which isn't true for me either. I hit 0 and went straight to customer care. He said it should just work "unless you previously had a Nextel account", which I haven't. He put in the referral request "manually" (as opposed to the automated system, I guess), gave me a case number, and told me to check up on it in about 3 days. Seems safe enough. :rolleyes:

24. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    That's good, at least you didn't get any hassle and the guy did it for you manually(which I expected them to do for you). I have decided it's not worth it for me to call and have them do it manually, because I am 99 percent sure I won't be keeping my service.

25. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Really? Why not?

26. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Well, in a lot of areas in Salt Lake County, Sprint service, while improving, still is not the best. Off course I can always fall back onto Verizon, but I spent the majority of my time in areas that either have low Sprint service or no Sprint service inside at all. This is just annoying because calls will drop and my Data will either be slow and drop packets on the Sprint network or be on slow 1x from Verizon. Like I said, the areas I hang out most, including in buildings I frequent at the U, my home, and my best friends' houses, Sprint just plain out sucks. I wish it weren't the case, but sadly it is. So I have decided to keep Verizon with my Family.

27. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    It is also to bad that you dot get any perks :lmao:

28. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Haha, don't laugh too hard my friend. ;)

29. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I know I know you have the generator powered towers and V-cast I just cant compete with that ever,