Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint EVDO Rev A and Motorola Q9c

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by BradQue, Feb 8, 2008.

1. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    Does anyone know whether or not the Moto Q9c that Sprint offers will accept EVDO Rev A when it is made available?

Also, any other advice on a Sprint phone or the quality of their coverage within the DC-NC-SC areas would be welcome.

Thanks,

Brad

2. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    it's not Rev A capable if thats what you mean

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    Thanks. Yep, that's what I meant. I guess I'll keep looking.

Brad

4. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    To be honest with you I would not base your decision on REV A there is not that much difference. I think the only thing that would be worth wanting is the lower latancy.

5. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    To be honest with you, my Sprint Mogul that has been upgraded to Rev A doesn't seem any different when browsing the web. I do notice a very slight increase in the loading times of pages, but it is nothing to get excited over.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    Thanks for the replies - very helpful. I am still trying to decide between the two (Mogul and Touch) - maybe a newer one will come out and confuse me even more.

The Sprint SERO (500 minute $30) seems a great deal. Radio Shack has the Touch for $99 with a plan and they say they can do a signup and then convert to the SERO plan (but sounds too good to be true to me).

The SERO unlimited text free add on expires Feb 16 so I guess I'd better get off the dime one way or another.

Brad

7. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Well, I have heard good things about the Touch. The only downside imo is that there is no set keyboard, just a virtual one. If I were you, I would go to a store that has both phones and try them both out before you have to make a decision.

8. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    you could activate a line on a regular plan and just call in. or at least you could in November of '06 when i got my SERO plan............but then there was this whole hubbub a few months ago because the account type itself needs to be changed to "Employee Account" and not just the plan. otherwise people think its a regular fair and flexible plan.......of course just do the whole thing online using the SERO site.

i would think though that the Mogul would be better.........the keyboard for the Touch would just be too small for my liking

9. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    Thanks again all. I did go to a Sprint store today and the Mogul works fine if a bit different (probably since it was my first time usingt one.) Didn't try the Touch - lack of keyboard is an issue.

I also tried a Motorola Q9c - more intuitive, at least for me. Still looking - not sure yet since I keep getting mixed signals about both customer service and coverage. Probably true of any carrier though (I've got Verizon now and they won't allow access to certain websites, specifically my home security IP Cam which is the intent of my search for another carrier in the first place).

10. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Sprint might have an issue with that.....it's possible to access it on the Sprint network and everything but I think they said in their TOSs that they restrict streaming video/audio and peer to peer network traffic

11. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    Thanks. So does Verizon but they wouldn't be "hosting' the IP Camera, just allowing it to be viewed as with any other website.

Currently, the "mobile" view is simply a static picture that is periodically refreshed, not live video which, although possible when used with a 3d party camera control application, isn't really needed.

12. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well if its just a static image that you need refreshed then any carrier can do that but Sprint prohibits any sort of webcam data or streaming video even if its an incoming feed

13. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    Thanks for the input and response.

Actually, at least one carrier won't even allow access to the site for viewing a static image (Verizon) but Sprint, TMobile both do.

To me Internet access means just that - Internet access. When they take to blocking access to sites that are legal, legitimate, and not otherwise objectionable as to their content, they're doing so for specious reasons at best.

I do agree that a carrier can (and should) prevent undue bandwidth use and abuse since that's in the best interests of all of their customers to do so. However, viewing a home-based security camera from time to time is hardly in that category.

14. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah............honestly the restriction of peer-to-peer traffic is an effort to cut down on limewire traffic............cuz there are some people who do a lot of downloading but on limewire if you're sharing enough files you are prolli using half the bandwidth of a corporate server just oploading the file to other users.......

15. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    You're probably right. I don't use more than a couple of minutes per day on a cell phone and usually leave about 800 minutes of my Verizon plan on the table. The TMobile Sidekick isn't used much more - it would do for me if their phones were more up to date.

Everything I see about Sprint's SERO plans sounds attractive - I just don't know which phone to choose - Mogul? Touch? Centro? Palm 755p? It's a mystery.

16. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well i can tell you right now the Centro's keys are next to impossible.........the Touch is extremely cxompact for a Smartphone but that means an extremely small keyboard which also means youll be texting w/ a stylus

EDIT: and really the Moguls only flaw is that it can lag a lot but beyond that i've heardits an okay phone

17. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    I tried the Touch, Mogul, Palm 755p, Centro today. Except for the Mogul, they are either too small, too difficult, or both. The Touch would be great as a pda that can do occasional phone calls and text messages but the icons are so little that frequent finger entry would be hard to do.

I think it's Mogul for me.

Thanks for all the replys.

18. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    from all of those i would have picked the Mogul too...........but now with Microsoft's buyout of Danger i'm looking forward to Sidekicks possible becoming a little less exclusive

19. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    Yep. I am using a Sidekick II that my daughter "abandoned" when she got a Verizon Black Berry. The SK is not a bad little phone for texting, basic web browsing, and occasional phone calls but is missing some features I prefer to have. With Microsoft having bought Danger, and now TMobile's acquisition of Suncom being approved, I think we're going to see some interesting developments from them.

I really want to convince myself to do the Sprint Plan with a Mogul (while the unlimited texting is still included free) but can't get confident in their answers about access to email while roaming and coverage in general. I guess I have another day (until Feb 16 when the free texting offer ends) to decide.

Thanks again for all the responses,

Brad

20. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    again.....i'll say if you have service on the Mogul regardless of whether or not its native or roaming you will have data.......i guarantee it........Sprint has made sure hat they are like AT&T where they want you to feel like you never really roam at all

21. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    I think you are correct. This forum has been very helpful - and I surely don't want to use up more than my fair share of time but thanks for the help and input.

Brad

22. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    please any more questions and ask them...........and although many people on this forum have a lot of knowledge and experience........no question is a dumb question.....feel free to ask any time

23. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    Thanks. I surely will do that. I'm just cautious about this because I have a VZW plan I will keep but am wanting a phone/plan that allows a freer (that's free-er as in more open) Internet access and frankly they don't.

I have been using a SK through Tmobile and it does the job but is slow and has a rather dim screen. Newer SKs are missing contemporary features like voice dial, Outlook Sync, etc. and TMobile has no particular deals to offer.

Sprint has the plan, has the phone, but also has a mixed reputation about service and coverage although I can't see coverage as a big problem since they, like Verizon, are CDMA and probably share roaming agreements.

So, I'll decide something and hope for the best.

Brad

24. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yes and i can tell you right now that Sprint and Alltel and Verizon all roam seemlessly on eachother......voice, data messaging, and all................there has even been talk that Sprint customers can now use Verizon EV-DO

25. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    That's a stong point in their favor. TMobile really has nice (and effective) customer reps on their phone lines and their plans aren't bad but don't compare to the SERO plan I see.

Now I'm hearing that some Sprint phones (Mogul for example) are all buggy. The EVDO is a real draw however.

Thanks again. I'm learning lots about Sprint that's for sure.

Brad

26. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    you will always be able to use data wherever there is service........the Mogul really isn't buggy but rather it just has a bit of lag being a cell phone and a PDA running Windows Mobile 6 which can hog memory for the graphics as it is

27. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    Thanks, I am hearing more and more from Sprint customers I actually talk to that it isn't too bad. I teach in a graduate program and have been polling my current students - under penalty of an "F" they will tell me the truth - and say that they love it. (Just kidding about that "F" thing.)

28. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    its always the same in society where the opposition is always louder than the majority.........

29. acapwell

acapwell New Member

I agree, Rev A will not awe you. Rev 0 should be fine. Low latancy is the ticket . EVDO is tricky. It seems to like a single server. Mulitple sectors from multiple sites tend to increase interferance and slow the speed.

30. bird-dog

bird-dog New Member

Wrong... The downlink (to the wireless device) is anywhere from 2-5 times non-revA. The uplink is faster than Rev.0 also. If you arent' getting speeds like that, then either your device doesn't support Rev.A - or you don't have the most recent firmware.