Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint EVDO-A/ Call problems.

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by sprintcellguyntx, Aug 10, 2008.

1. sprintcellguyntx

sprintcellguyntx New Member

I live in Central Texas and I have seen a cell site built about .44 miles away from my house. I use sprint's EVDO Rev. A data card. Recently I have been experiencing a drop in service the dBm fluxing ALOT, dropping from 78 dBm all the way to 102 dBm... Ive worked with Sprint's Advanced technical support and they are supposed to be sending a tech out to the nearest cell site to check the orientation of the antennae... She said it seems like my card isnt locking on a specific site, but bouncing between sites. Has anyone else around here experienced these problems if so, any helpful tips of pointers? I am looking for some cell site maps for sprint in my area, does anyone know of any... I am also expecially interested in the actual equipment and how it works /specs as well. I do understand different carriers use different technologies and such. And I am sure there are some confidentiality issues there, but any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. I have also been having problems within a 3 miles radius of my house with poor quality calls and dropped calls.

Thanks!

2. cellular_freak

cellular_freak Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    There could very well be something wrong with the tower. If you are experiencing problems with both your phone and your card, then it's probably a tower issue. Sprint's towers should reach a radius of like three square miles or something like that. Since Sprint is 1900 MHz only, the signal doesn't go out as far as a cellular carrier that uses 850 MHz. However, 1900 MHz is designed to hold more people but have a smaller radius. But if you are really that close to the tower, you should be having no problems. Especially because Sprint uses CDMA technology, your call quality and reception should be great no matter how many "bars" you have.

Like I said, maybe the antennas on the tower are set up wrong, or maybe (which could be more likely) you are bouncing off another tower that is nearby because the one that is closeby is congested. And a last possibility is that the towers don't see each other as "neighbors" so that creates issues as well.

Go to Sprint's online Coverage Viewer and check out coverage where you live. If you zoom in close enough, you can see approximately where the towers should be.

3. sprintcellguyntx

i have and later after i am off work i can show u.. road the cell tower is on is battle lake rd and highway 6 in riesel tx

4. cellular_freak

cellular_freak Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    That site almost looks like a dud. It doesn't appear to cover very much. It's got a huge gap right in the center of the coverage area. There could very well be something wrong.

5. sprintcellguyntx

Here is the map I promised: Google Maps Also, it's kinda funny that the coverage map shows the coverage is pointing directly at my house... but as i have stated the reception isnt that great.... signal strength jumps... I also took the liberty of adding some more cell towers and general radio towers to the map just for fun... I notice these things like crazy and note where they are all at. any more detailed info regarding different types of technologies, and how to obtain better signals, anyone? thanks for the help! hope this map is helpful to any of you.

#5 sprintcellguyntx, Aug 11, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2008