Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint Enhances Networks, Expands Coverage Throughout North Carolina

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by larry, Jan 23, 2008.

1. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Sprint Enhances Networks, Expands Coverage Throughout North Carolina
    Sprint Customers Benefit: 148 New Sites In North Carolina

CHARLOTTE, N.C.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 23, 2008--Sprint (NYSE:S) customers throughout North Carolina can now enjoy the benefits of SprintSpeed(TM) from even more places in the state. During 2007, Sprint added 148 new cell sites to its Nationwide Sprint Network and Nextel National Network.

Sprint customers can take advantage of the recent enhancements throughout the following areas:

Charlotte market - 49 new cell sites
    Raleigh, Durham and Fayetteville markets - 60 new cell sites
    Winston Salem, Greensboro markets - 27 new cell sites
    Myrtle Beach - 12 new cell sites

"Sprint is constantly working to enhance and expand its networks throughout North Carolina and the country," said Carolyn Rehling, area vice president for Sprint. "Sprint offers customers the largest voice calling area, largest mobile broadband network and the world's fastest and largest push-to-talk network. This gives our customers the ability and tools they need to stay in touch with their family, friends and business associates."

Nationally during 2007, Sprint expects to add more than 4,000 cell sites to the Nationwide Sprint Network and Nextel National Network. Both networks are currently performing at their best-ever levels, which means fewer blocked or dropped calls, translating to better connections for customers.

2. AndThenScottSays...

AndThenScottSays... Junior Member

My Phone:
    V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile (prepaid)
    Glaringly missing from this is Greenville, New Bern, Jacksonville, Wilmington, Rocky Mount... or really ANYTHING in the eastern half of NC. Sprint's network here is horrible and, at least in Greenville, they haven't added more than a couple sites in the past 5+ years.

The network is pretty good in Raleigh/Durham and the triad, but the complete opposite here.

3. jerry 12

jerry 12 Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry Bold 9930
    Wireless Provider(s):
    us cellular / Verizon
    thats right sprint has forgotten the eastern part of the state. if you get out of Greenville and off the main roads you can for get about using your phone with sprint. uscc is still king in the eastern north Carolina. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The Eastern part of the state was formerly an affiliate territory and it's likely Sprint doesn't want to invest a lot of money there. They go after the areas where they feel they can potentially make a good return on their investment.

5. AndThenScottSays...

My Phone:
    V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    That is correct, this area was built by AirGate, but still. I don't understand the point of running a network when your only intention is to have your customers roam constantly on Alltel and USCC.

Verizon just built a terrible PCS network here but is slowly adding sites trying to correct the problem.

6. jerry 12

jerry 12 Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry Bold 9930
    Wireless Provider(s):
    us cellular / Verizon
    airgate who is that i never heard of them before ? :confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. AndThenScottSays...

My Phone:
    V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AirGate PCS (they merged into someone else later but I can't remember who) built out the Sprint network here and ran it until Sprint bought them out a couple years ago.

They never sold wireless under that name, only under the Sprint name.

8. jerry 12

jerry 12 Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry Bold 9930
    Wireless Provider(s):
    us cellular / Verizon
    ok thats the reason i did't know about them. :)

9. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Affiliate areas and former affiliate areas typically get put on the backburner for investments as they tend to not bring a lot of revenue.

10. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Larry-
    There are a couple areas here that I wish that Sprint could get cause I would rather see them then who is there.

11. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    My uncle is moving near me, just a few houses away, with his Sprint phone, and I've been telling him to go back to Verizon,
    or just get Alltel (he had Verizon in Vegas, but ported his number to Sprint)

I hope Sprint can get the ball rollin' here in the Upstate of SC.
    I live only 3 miles From I-85, where there is a Sprint tower neat exit 87, and coverage is still bad from them.
    Just a few hundred feet on my street, separates great signal from no signal,

This map shows my area, with Sprint Coverage, and an AT&T cell tower that Sprint should add antennas to.
    Notice how on my street, coverage goes from full to almost zero with just a few hundred feet,
    it's not too hilly, but even just a few trees block the (PCS) signal, so only line of sight = good signal

[​IMG]

Being near a major interstate, I can't believe how the Sprint signal is bad.