Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint buying parts of Alltel, or merging with US Cellular - WON'T HAPPEN (heres why)

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by PCSuser, Jun 25, 2007.

1. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    Re: Sprint buying parts of Alltel, or merging with US Cellular - WON'T HAPPEN (heres

You never know what your truly getting into in a buyout or merger. My company was in for a true shock when we picked up a 1st gen GSM company and a non data or text capable CDMA 1st Gen company.

A year later and millions of dollars toward equipment everything works pretty good. It just takes time to get the bugs out. Unfortunately the customers suffer during the merger/buyouts even thou the carriers try to buffer the growing pains.

2. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Re: Sprint buying parts of Alltel, or merging with US Cellular - WON'T HAPPEN (heres

finally we are getting some cold hard facts...........there are som pros and cons to the two choices that Sprint can make about the 800MhZ licenses that they have..........

if they keep 800 MhZ then they can use that to deploy towers in rural areas that don't currently have coverage........they could even start building coverage in the Montana and Idaho areas and drop the agreement with Alltel......

if they get rid of 800 MhZ then they can turn it in to the FCC and there has been information that they will in return receive some 2100 MhZ licenses which is perfect for WiMax...........

so the question that we should be asking (or rather Sprint)....

"What matters most to us?" The expanded coverage or expanded capabilities

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

I doubt Sprint would have any interest in building their own coverage in Montana. If they did they would have done it a long time ago. There's not enought profit to be made there unless you were one of the original A/B cellular carriers.

4. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

Yes it is a handycap having this phone as 1900 CDMA only, I have had a few places where the phone would have had coverage had it had the 850 band on it.

I think someone said there was a concern of the CDMA interfering with the iDEN if they put both 850's on the phone. I don't know how true that is so I can't say for sure.

If it had the 850 I would be a lot happier with the phone & coverage, luckily for me I don't pay the bill for it.

5. TKR

TKR Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

Yes, I think the source reasonably credible. I have a few email contacts in the RF department (technical area that does network RF design and troubleshooting) at Sprint. These folks have been directly responsive to my questions and have even done some troublshooting of the network based on a couple of reports I have made from time to time. The response I got above was from another individual inside Sprint to whom they had forwarded my question about the future of 800 and CDMA.

That said, I think it possible Sprint upper management may have yet to fully decide what they will do....so it's a bit uncertain still.

6. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

2100??? :devil:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...