Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint Blackberry 8830 to Verizon network, please tell me yes

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by Morgen, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Morgen

Morgen New Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    I have a Blackberry 8830, which I love, and Sprint service, which I loathe. I can get the MSL code for the phone easily, and I'm desperately hoping that it will be not too much harder to switch the phone over to a Verizon account. The frequencies are the same of course, and I'm hoping to be able to get out of buying yet another Blackberry. Can anyone give me specific instructions?

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    No chance. Sprint phones are programmed only to work on Sprint's network. They contain a Sprint PRL and Sprint firmware that would clash with what Verizon uses. Even if you could get the lock code I doubt Verizon would activate a phone that wasn't theirs.

3. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Yep no chance

4. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Well Morgen, you've gotten your answer. Both here and on the Verizon Wireless forum you've heard the same information. I would say this is a major no go.

But you can always sell your phone and recoup some of your money back. eBay it??

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Morgen

Morgen New Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Sigh. Thanks for the advice. I read a bunch of things that made it sound like it was possible but they were mostly a couple years old or more, so I was wondering if it was something that was still feasible. Now I know.

6. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It was very difficult to pull off a few years back but there were one or two cases of it happening. Now it's pretty much impossible.

7. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    LOL unless you can hack into their system and put in your ESN LOL.

8. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well, it isn't totally impossible. But you will need to get lucky. Verizon's official policy is that they will activate any phone with a valid ESN (I read somewhere that they started allowing this again) BUT you have to get a rep willing to do it for you. Most will not.

As for the software, you will need your unlock code (MSL) from Sprint and then you will need to change some settings. You would have MUCH better luck activating a "regular" phone from Sprint on Verizon than you would a data intensive phone like a BB. You would need Verizon to completely overwrite the Sprint files and thus you would lose the GPS ability that Sprint's version has but that Verizon has disabled on all their BB's. I presume that is why you want a Sprint BB on VZW, so it wouldn't be worth it if that is your goal.

Larry...things are a bit different on the BlackBerry. I am running the Verizon OS (it is the latest release) on my 8830. Any CDMA 8830 OS will work, you just have to make a few tweaks to some files on your PC so that the OS loader doesn't realize you are sticking the operating system from another carrier onto the Sprint phone.

9. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I would like to see this happen if anyone can do it then prove us wrong.

10. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I wonder if this would an expensive proposition.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...