Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint, AT&T, or Verizon for business

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by AliG, Jun 19, 2002.

1. AliG

AliG New Member

Sprint, AT&T, or Verizon for business

I have recently begun the task of choosing a wireless service provider for my company. At this point we are with Verizon, but we are "exploring other options" now- before we become too large to change providers. I have tried to do my research, have asked family and friends, and have had meetings with account executives from Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T.

We need a plan with no roaming or long distance and few, if any, dropped calls. We are located in northeastern Ohio, but have employees located in PA, SC, NC, KY, IN, IL, etc. We also have employees who travel to NY, PA, KY, TN. IL, IN, TX, NC, SC, MI, and others. Tech support is very important, so once again, no dropped calls are acceptable.

It seems that rates are about the same for all three service providers, but coverage differs. With Sprint I am not sure what the coverage really is. The map has their digital network in dark green and roaming in light green. I cannot tell from any information that I can find if the light green is where we will be charged for roaming or where they have roaming agreements so that we will not be charged. Can anyone help with this?

Also, does anyone have opinions on any or all of our three options?

It seems that the more information I find, the more the plans and companies all look alike. Not to mention the salespeople just love to tell you what they think you want to hear. It's always fun to see their expressions when they find out that I've done my research and I know pretty much what is bs and what is truthful.

I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks!
    Alison

2. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Alison,

I live in your area and know alot about the plans etc. that are being offered.

If you could provide me with this information I will be able to help you better.

How many minutes does each person use? average
    do they stay on the main highways or go into the country?
    what is your current plan with verizon?
    what phones are you using?
    will you be calling each other alot?

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I wouldn't go with ATT, there coverage just isn't very good nationwide IMO. Jack should be able to help you, he is very knowledgeable!

4. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Airb330,

Thanks for the kind words

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Jack,
    Wow it looks like you're going to overtake me and become the # 2 poster here. [​IMG]

6. AliG

AliG New Member

Jack,

We have people who use 200 mins. and some who use close to 4000.

Traveling is mainly highway, but employees travel to and from hospitals, so some traveling is done away from them.

Currently we have national and regional plans w/ Verizon (separate plans for each person on one bill.)
    We considered putting some people onto the America's Choice shared plan and keeping some on National plans.

We have a variety of phones. I think that many of them were free with the plans.

We spend a decent portion of our minutes speaking to other employees. That was a big downfall with Verizon. They no longer offer mobile to mobile minutes with any plan other than the America's Choice, and we needed it for those who will be on National plans.

Two things that I forgot...
    We will soon be adding 10+ phones and we'd like to go with a company and a plan that will allow for that growth. I would also like it to be a company that we can stick with for a while.

Thanks!

7. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Alison,

Forgive me for being a wet rag, but I noticed no one else picked up on one item. Your requirement: "no dropped calls are acceptable" is unrealistic. All carriers' networks are subject to this for a number of reasons, many of them out of the control of the carrier. They include driving through tunnels that don't have repeaters; weather conditions including but not limited to sun spots, torrential rains, high winds; line-of-site impediments; handset limitations and many others.

8. AliG

AliG New Member

I know that, but we need as few as possible. I should have been a little clearer on that point. All I meant was that we need a company that has pretty good coverage. Not one where we will drive 5 minutes away from an expressway and lose a signal. (exaggeration there, but I think you get my drift.)

9. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

as far as the mobile to mobile minutes is concerned nextel has the unlimited direct connect for business users which is nice.....also you can make group calls with DC to a bunch of users all at once.

however if you can wait on a 2-way PTT feature sprint has mentioned they will come out with it in 2003.......i think also verizon has mentioned coming out with a PTT feature but no details on when.

on sprint plans i know for the consumer that are Total Digital COnnection plans (which include Wireless Web and Voice Command-two great business features) you can add $5/month and get UNLIMITED PCS 2 PCS calls (which may also include all INCOMING calls froma PCS phone) however these plans cost $59.99/month......however call Sprint and see what they offer on business accounts as far as PCS 2 PCS goes......because i am unfamiliar with the business plans & promotions

10. AliG

AliG New Member

Sprint has much better business plans than the other companies seem to have. One of our big issues- mobile to mobile (aka. PCS to PCS) they have, which Verizon has stopped offering except on their America's Choice plan. Sprint also seems much more willing or able to work a plan around our needs than other companies have.

11. AliG

AliG New Member

Sprint offers a business share plan with their Total Digital Choice packages. You just buy a package for each phone and all of the minutes go into a pool to be shared by everyone on the plan. They also have the unlimited PCS to PCS for $5. We decided to try out 5 phones for the two week period to see how coverage is. If no coverage problems, Sprint has a new customer. Yay!

Thanks for the input everyone.

Alison[​IMG]

12. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Did you examine Sprint's coverage maps first? You described a pretty extensive travel area so I just hope it works for you.

13. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    AliG-

Double check those areas you need coverage with Sprint before signing on the dotted line...

14. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

very good idea i just reread your first post and you do have a lot of areas you need to be covered. if they are primarily medium to large metropolitan areas you should be fine with sprint....best to have employees in those areas do a little research on how sprint fares in their area.....if your employees will be travelling by plane from place to place sprint should be great......if a lot of driving through rural areas is needed you will likely be roaming analog at times......though on major highways like 95 south sprint has full digital coverage even through the sticks areas that the highway cuts through.

15. Mike

Mike Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular
    I did not see a reply to one of your first questions.

With Sprint I am not sure what the coverage really is. The map has their digital network in dark green and roaming in light green. I cannot tell from any information that I can find if the light green is where we will be charged for roaming or where they have roaming agreements so that we will not be charged. Can anyone help with this?

Any roaming on Sprint costs. You will be charged for their Off Network (light green) areas.

16. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    how is Sprint working out for you????

Jack