Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint and UbiquiTel Announce Agreement on Montana Coverage

Discussion in 'Wireless News' started by tbrusky, Aug 5, 2003.

1. tbrusky

tbrusky Junior Member

Sprint and UbiquiTel Announce Agreement on Montana Coverage

Sprint to Bring Digital Coverage to Montana; Relieves UbiquiTel of Build-Out Requirement

CONSHOHOCKEN, Pa. and OVERLAND PARK, Kan., Aug 5, 2003 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- - UbiquiTel Inc. (UPCS), a PCS Affiliate of Sprint, and Sprint (NYSE: FON, PCS), which operates the largest all-digital, all-CDMA Third-Generation (3G) wireless network in the United States, today announced an agreement that will further enhance America's most complete wireless network. Under this agreement, Sprint will extend its all-digital PCS footprint to key markets in Montana, areas formerly assigned to UbiquiTel. Sprint currently provides wireless roaming coverage in Montana.

"We are extremely pleased with the collaboration between UbiquiTel and Sprint that made this change possible," said Donald A. Harris, chairman and chief executive officer of UbiquiTel Inc. "It's a true reflection of the cooperation both parties exhibited to promote the achievement of our respective business goals."

"Sprint is committed to providing our customers with the best wireless experience possible," said Tom Mateer, vice president of Affiliations for the PCS Division of Sprint. "This agreement gives us the opportunity to further enhance and expand our coverage, offering a more complete network experience for our customers nationwide."

The agreement reduces the total population in UbiquiTel's service areas to approximately 10.0 million, 78% of which is currently covered by UbiquiTel.

Sprint plans to extend its all-digital wireless coverage within the next 12 to 18 months to Billings, Bozeman, Butte, Great Falls, Helena, Kalispell, and Missoula MT.

"We believe this agreement, along with the significant expansion of capacity provided during our 2002 third generation network upgrade, will allow us to continue to provide an excellent level of service to our customers while minimizing our capital expenditures and moving us closer to our goal of generating free cash flow to the benefit of all of our stakeholders," said Harris.

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    This deal probably has something to do the Qwest deal. This is more good news for us Sprint users who will have a bigger Vision network. I think we can also expect new coverage in the Dakotas and Wyoming by next year.

3. ILUVSOCAL

ILUVSOCAL Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600(me)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T(Me),Cingular(Me,Mom),Edge Wireless(Dad)
    What about West Yellowstone, Ennis and Virginia City?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    What about them? Does Qwest have service there? If so then so will Sprint. If not then it's a no.

5. tbrusky

tbrusky Junior Member

Larry I also posted this on the Howard new group as well can you help me out on this one no one has replayed to this I have posted the same day it came out.

Qwest Wireless Customers to Use Sprint

DENVER, Aug 04, 2003 (AP Online via COMTEX) -- Qwest Communications International Inc. signed a deal with Sprint on Monday allowing it to offer national wireless service to customers in the 14 states where it also sells local phone service.

Denver-based Qwest said it plans to offer Sprint PCS Vision to its local customers and to business customers nationwide. But it will handle sales, billing and customer service on its own.

Terms were not disclosed.

"This agreement allows us to provide customers with nationwide wireless service and the convenience of Qwest's integrated landline-to-wireless features," Qwest chief executive Richard Notebaert said.

The companies said they expected most of Qwest's existing wireless customers and new customers to move onto Sprint's network by next year. Qwest said it plans to start selling calling plans next year that incorporate nationwide coverage.

Len Lauer, president of the PCS division of Sprint, which is based in Overland Park, Kan., said the agreement would give Sprint a new sales channel while giving Qwest customers access to a national, digital wireless network.

Sprint had 2.1 million PCS Vision customers as of June 30. Qwest had slightly less than 1 million wireless customers as of March 31.

Qwest stock was up 24 cents to $4.03 in Monday morning trading and shares of Sprint PCS, the company's wireless unit, were up 3 cents to $6.08 on the New York Stock Exchange.

I read this a couple of time but what does it all mean. Will Sprint subsbribers be able to use Quest coverage area like a Sprint coverage area. Did Sprint buy out Qwest for there coverage areas and the Sprint subscribers will now have a few more coverage areas completed! I know that Qwest and Sprint have the same network. I also know that Qwest hasnt been keeping up on there maintance towers in the past few years maybe it was time to sell if Im reading this right. Sprint will take over all Qwest coverage area and plus what Sprint owns for coverage too. If someone out there can lighten me up on this new artilce that would be great and what is all to come about on the deal.

And also Larry did Sprint land a big deal on this or was Sprint into Qwest all along way before the mess of qwest.

6. ILUVSOCAL

ILUVSOCAL Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600(me)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I was talking about the Ubiquitel/Sprint thing, and the new Montana coverage. West Yellowstone, Ennis, Quake Lake and Virginia City are all very near Billings, so I was just wondering if this meant the towns I mentioned would be covered too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sprint will be taking over some of Qwest's towers in some markets such as Montana & Wyoming where Sprint doesn't offer service. The rest of their towers and equipment in overlapping markets such as Phoenix & Denver might be sold off to somebody else as Sprint doesn't need them. Qwest will also try to sell off their spectrum licenses to another carrier or carriers. Cingular might be interested in some.

The benefit of this deal to us Sprint customers will be a bigger nationwide service area as this deal WILL give Sprint new coverage in Montana, Wyoming, and the Dakotas. It will also make their coverage area even more competitive to Verizon's as a number of key small size markets where Verizon already covers will be added to Sprint's network.

Sprint was never interested in Qwest in the past. This is a new deal that has been in the works for only a few months.

8. ILUVSOCAL

ILUVSOCAL Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600(me)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Good to hear, thanks Larry [​IMG]

9. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I have no idea. It all depends on what Qwest currently covers. In time Sprint might expand these markets.

10. ILUVSOCAL

ILUVSOCAL Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600(me)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Those places along with Yellowstone and Island Park, ID are some of the most beautiful areas anywhere, awesome fishing too, ahh, nightcrawlers, my waders, pole and the Buffalo River in Island Park, that's heaven [​IMG]