Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint and Nextel had some issues in NYC/NJ

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Airb330, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I was in NYC yesterday and the girl sitting ahead of me had a Sprint and a Nextel phone. Maybe she worked for them, I have no idea.The Nextel was one of the newer flips without a camera. After we cleared the Lincoln tunnel, her phone just said "Service Restriicted". It didn't work at all the rest of the way. I'm guessing it still wasn't working by the time we boarded the bus because she never tried it again. She was using a Sanyo 7400 or close to it on the ride home. She dropped at least 5-6 calls on the turnpike home! Yikes :eek:

2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I can confirm both Sprint and Nextel are not the best in this area. In NYC it is hard to drive around and not drop a call on Sprint. A long standing issue. A friend of mine refuses to drive and talk on his Sprint phone at the same time for obvious fears.

In NJ, Sprint is better in the sense that it doesn't drop calls as much as in NYC, but it has issues with indoor service and some dead spots. Nextel is even worse. However, if you drive on the major highways you should have no problems with either service, so I am surprised to hear that about the Turnpike.

The only reliable services around here are as always Verizon and Cingular (former AT&T network).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Nextel is suprisingly terrible here in NJ, you would think they would have worked to get this area of the country better coverage, especially being the NY area.
    I am just glad I don't pay for the Nextel or I would have happily paid an ETF if I was past the trial period.
    As for Sprint, they seem to be on the same goal as T-Mobile and putting up more towers in this area of the State to improve coverage, but I think T-Mobile is being even more aggressive of the 2.

I didn't have any additional problems yesterday with coverage on my Nextel, so maybe it was her phone.

4. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yeah, in my impression, T-Mobile seems to have surpassed Sprint in North Jersey as far as coverage and quality and it beats Sprint in NYC as far as dropped calls.

T-Mobile is pretty good in other areas of the Northeast, I don't know why they left North NJ forgotten for so long especially when there's more population here. But finally we're getting the attention we deserve.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    The "Service Restricted" thing I wonder if it can only be if the phone connected to a SMR tower that is for Public Service or Push to Talk only??

For the FCC to give consent to the Sprint/Nextel merger they were to not block roaming unless the customer requests it. Same with Western Wireless/Alltel merger

6. TurboDan

TurboDan Junior Member

I had Nextel up until about a month ago. I always had full coverage through the Lincoln and Holland Tunnels. Coincidentally, it was about the ONLY area where I had full coverage. :D My hunch is that "Restricted" could mean that they temporarily turned off cell phone service in the tunnel, either because of maintenance or a tip regarding a security threat.

And yeah, Nextel used to be great in NYC and NJ. In the past six months, I started dropping calls nonstop. I finally got sick of it and switched to Cingular. I would've gone back to Verizon if they had better deals on phones and rollover.

P.S.: My service was always fine on the NJ Turnpike, except for one industrial area approaching the Lincoln Tunnel. I'd always lose service for about five minutes around there.