Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sprint Adds 12 Sites to Its Wireless Networks in Michigan, Enhancing Coverage

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by larry, Jun 16, 2008.

1. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Sprint Invests Nearly $26 Million in Michigan During 1Q '08

Sprint Adds 12 Sites to Its Wireless Networks in Michigan, Enhancing Coverage Statewide

FARMINGTON HILLS, Mich.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 16, 2008--Sprint (NYSE:S) invested nearly $26 million and added 12 new cell sites to its wireless networks in Michigan in the first quarter of 2008, enhancing network coverage statewide.

"Sprint is making great strides in network performance, and nationally, our wireless networks continue to perform at best-ever levels," said Kim Green-Kerr, vice president, General Business & Public Sector Sales, Sprint. "We're making enhancements to our networks in Michigan and across the nation so that customers can do what they want, simply and immediately."

Statewide network coverage improvements include: cell site builds that extend coverage, in-building solutions, carrier overlays, capacity switching and EV-DO Rev. A deployment that allows for a faster data experience. Customers in the following cities should have a better wireless experience as a result of these enhancements:

* Augusta
    * Centreville
    * Detroit (2)
    * East Lansing
    * Haslett
    * Lansing
    * Lawton
    * Mount Morris
    * Ovid
    * Stevensville
    * Warren

Sprint provides its customers advanced technology so they can get what they want instantly. Sprint offers the largest voice calling area, the nation's largest mobile broadband network and the fastest national push-to-talk network and largest push-to-talk community, which enable customers to do the things that matter the most to them on the go.

"Sprint is committed to maintaining and enhancing its networks," Green-Kerr said. "With Sprint, customers can truly celebrate the simplicity and instant gratification of Now."

Nationally during 2007, Sprint added more than 4,000 cell sites to the Nationwide Sprint Network and Nextel National Network. Internal performance metrics show double-digit percent improvement year-over-year (e.g., March 2007 to March 2008) for dropped and blocked calls on both the Nationwide Sprint Network and Nextel National Network. For the Nextel National Network, customer issues related to dropped and blocked calls, and voice quality combined, have decreased more than 60 percent from March 2007 to March 2008.

2. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    Good to know...I will probably end up in Michigan next year.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cellular_freak

cellular_freak Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    It kind of stinks that any new Sprint additions here in Michigan don't apply to anywhere in Northern Michigan or mid-Michigan. We probably won't see any either. All because it's iPCS here.

4. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    At least iPCS is rolling out EVDO for the most part. But for real, people in iPCS territory need to dump it and switch.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    IPCS does add new sites every quarter. Just not as many as corporate because they don't have the budget for any huge expansions.

6. cheddar

cheddar Senior Member

IPCS is stuck in a whole that'll take a while to dig out of. Like Spring corporate, they're going to have to be twice as good as everyone else to rebuild their reputation.

7. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Sorry but I don't believe the IPCS things is as bad as some make it out to be. They've actually been doing ok with a net gain of customers every quarter. I haven't seen any real evidence to suggest they are really hurting Sprint that much except for the internet forums creating negative hype on a daily basis.

8. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Really?? What part of Michigan Yankees368?

9. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I think I am going to end up in Lansing. Yeah, I know...the middle of nowhere!

10. cellular_freak

My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    You think so? Maybe if you compare it to some really large city but Lansing is one of Michigan's largest metro areas. And our state capital!

11. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    welcome to the problem of being in the sticks. think of states like GA and AL that have areas that are in the same boat as you (and most of the western mountain regions). most of the time those areas will never improve as it is not cost effective. generally the best thing to do is to just get a home phone and hope you can get 1 bar when your outside or in your car.

12. cellular_freak

My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Well I just returned from a Best Buy store in Saginaw, MI and I found out from the guy that works there in the cellular dept. that my town is for sure getting a Sprint (iPCS) tower. He logged into some iPCS database thing and it showed you right where the tower was going to be built. It said "Site in Acquisition", which I have no idea what that means. Looks like iPCS is finally moving into small towns!

13. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yeah well I will probably have to get out there and see for myself in the next few weeks. How close are you to Lansing?>

14. cellular_freak

My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Well, about two hours to the northeast. I live in the "thumb" of Michigan. We're the ones in the stix. LOL. I've been to Lansing many times though. Michigan State University is in East Lansing, so it's kind of a "culture hub" around there.

15. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Good to hear although I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to happen. It could still be a year or more away or it could happen in a few months.