Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

SpeakOut Wireless Locked?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by steveu452, Jul 16, 2005.

1. steveu452

steveu452 New Member

I got the SpeakOut Wireless plan from 7-11 recently, with a Nokia 3595 handset. I've had no problem with it (other than no roaming and no coverage in VT), but I can see the possibility of needing to get a post-pay family plan at some point in the future.

Does anyone know if this handset is locked? If I decided to stay with Cingular, would it matter? If I switch to another GSM carrier, such as T-Mobile, would they generally be able to unlock the phone and switch it to their network?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

--- Steve

2. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I am pretty sure all SpeakOut phones are unlocked. The 1100 I got in Las Vegas was unlocked. If it isn't Nokia phones are free & easy to unlock.

3. dmarkson

dmarkson New England Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    9530, v3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T, TMO, USC, BOOST, VIRG, PP
    Yeah, they should all be unlocked.

The problem is that the only GSM prepay that works in VT is Tracfone, which roams on Unicel. Cingular and T-Mobile do not roam, making them paperweights in 99% of VT. SpeakOut supposedly used to roam, but no more. SpeakOut is also charging $1.25/month fee now, which will make mine expire in a couple weeks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...