Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sound quality comparison

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Gonz, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Gonz

Gonz Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    USCC Nokia 6235i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    USCC, American Roaming Network... LOL
    Check this out:

I did a bit of an experiment. I did voice quality samples of all the different network technologies available to me here at school. These included AMPS 800, TDMA 800, CDMA 800, and GSM 1900. I was unfortunately unable to test IDEN.

Links:
    AMPS.wav
    CDMA1X.wav
    CDMAIS95.wav
    GSM.wav
    TDMA.wav

#1 Gonz, Apr 26, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  2. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    This is a really cool, for the first time I could compare the different technologies side-by-side! GSM sounds the best (except for the buzzing), TDMA is by far the worst. Great work Gonz!!

3. Gonz

Gonz Senior Member

My Phone:
    USCC Nokia 6235i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thanks, the TDMA is on a Nokia 6340i Cingular Gait, CDMA and AMPS are on a VZW Nokia 6256i, and GSM on a Nokia 6010. I couldnt quite tell if the 6340 jumped into analog or not. I'll have to try again.

4. Gonz

Gonz Senior Member

My Phone:
    USCC Nokia 6235i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    One More:

Land Line.wav

For the most recent, the 6340 is for sure in TDMA. Note: I was able to get a USCC switch message on a landline and GSM phone (for those of you who are sharp) by dialing a roamer access number. They have had their switch messages with that guy's voice as long as I can remember.

5. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    The only real difference between the GSM and CDMA1x is volume/bass. The GSM has more volume, that buzz is annoying though. TDMA was worst.

The amps around here sounds a lot worse then that, haha.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That's the same message you used to get on AT&T Wireless. They just changed the name.

I don't mean to burst bubbles, but with GSM, there are several codecs the phone can use (EFR, AMR-FS, AMR-HR), so for the sake of comparison those should be stated as well because they sound different.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Ellen

Ellen Guest

When you say that this buzz is annoying, are you hearing it with CDMA or the GSM phones? I use both CDMA and GSM and although I don't hear any buzzing noise sometimes I do get static on my GSM line when I'm in an area that has poor reception.

8. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I was just talking about the interference buzz on GSM, it's almost like a metronome clicking......

9. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Forgot about the codecs....CDMA also has two different ones. More common EVRC and 13k......

sorry for the extra post, thought I hit edit :)

10. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I think he's talking about the recordings that Gonz made & posted, it's the same sound of a GSM phone by a speaker.

I haven't had the static sound on my phone, but sometimes you can hear a slight sound in the background, almost like it's put there to let you know your still connected.
    There have been a lot of times when I have been on a call it's so quiet I have to ask if the person is still there.

To me when I use my CDMA phone, it sounds different & maybe it's like strunke said it's a bass sound difference, since my Moto Buzz sounds like it has less bass vs my Moto V635 GSM phone. (Or it's a phone quality issue)

11. Gonz

Gonz Senior Member

My Phone:
    USCC Nokia 6235i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The CDMA 1x was a 13k codec, and the GSM was in Full Rate.

12. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    To take a sample in one place with one phone can give false results. You need to take many samples from various areas of the network.

Operators have sepcial tools that read PESQ values, MOS scores. These kind of tests take a voice sample transmitted over the network and compare it against the original to see how much it degraded.

13. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    GSM can have a background noize inserted. With discontinuous transmission (ie: if you aren't talking, the phone stops transmitting) the person talking at the other end would hear nothing (the phone would appear dead) and wonder if they lost the connection (ie: "Hello? Are you still there?") But with the background noize, they still hear a little something so they know they haven't lost the connection. I'm not sure if a GSM standard feature, or if operators can select to use it or not.

14. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Unless you use the same phone on all networks at the same distance from a base station you're not going to have a fair and meaningful comparison.

15. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The only way you can do that is by using a CDMA/GSM phone. Sprint and Verizon have a phone like that, but they are not capable of the US frequencies in GSM mode. Therefore, I don't think it is possible to do this with just one phone.

16. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Not really necessary for that. Many manufacturers (Moto for one) have the same model in both GSM and CDMA (V3/Razr as an example.) Whether the CDMA Razr behaves RF-wise like the GSM version or vice-versa is up to someone else's test. Unless you had the nearest base station/tower the same distance from your phone you could not have a fair test either.

17. Gonz

Gonz Senior Member

My Phone:
    USCC Nokia 6235i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Ok ok. I realized that They were with different phones, etc. But isnt it better to have an experiment than not? I'm not gonna be able to compare all those with one phone, but I did use comparable ones, at least all from the same manufacturer. Plus, signal is just about maxed on all those carriers in the location where I made the test calls. The carriers are all on the same tower.

18. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I think it was a good experiment, it was the first time I could really compare the different standards side-by-side like I said before, so it was cool to me. :D

19. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    Dont base GSM on that sample. That sounded like it was held next to a computer screen, in which the power supply would provide the interference.

If you had a CDMA, GSM and Land line phone and you had three ears the difference in call quality is very minimal. This is of course assuming you had comparable phones with good signal and the land line was in good working order.

20. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

Yes it was good that you did this experiment, and with all experiments you will get feedback on what could be done to test the theory differently, so don't take what has been posted as negative, just other options on how it could be done differently to expand on the experiment.

21. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    yah it was a cool test, it would be nice to record these again with something that wont make interference on the TDMA and GSM

22. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM (and TDMA IS-136) tends to make interference on items that are not well shielded. With GSM you hear a buzzy bid-it-did-it-bid-it-bid-it sound especially when a call is about to come in or a call is originated. You will also hear this sound occasionally when a call isn't either originated or received my guess is that periodically the handset checks the system to see if there's something it should know about. With TDMA you hear a more pronounced low frequency hum if your handset is too close to a speaker you'll hear this interference as well as close to another not well shielded phone as well.

23. rytard

rytard Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8550 Chocolate (Red)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I believe Verizon Wireless' AMPS/CDMA network has the greatest sound quality, i dissagree with the statements that GSM is the best. While talking at my fathers house on his Cingular GSM phone where my verizon dosent get signal i noticed very poor audio quality even though he has full signal! everywhere i go and use his phone it is poor quality...every few seconds there is a small cut in the audio although less that 2 seconds it is very noticible and annoying. While talking on my phone even when the signal is low the audio quality is still solid without gaps like his!

24. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sound quality is always subjective. What you think is great someone else may not. What you judge may be colored too by which handset you use. Handsets vary greatly and some may color the sound differently to something that one person or another prefers. Your "proof" is hardly scientific since it is just based on your own personal bias.

And it's patently obvious who you like for service since you added that cute three line love-fest at the end of your bias. I know you may find this hard to believe but there are areas where Verizon's coverage does not trump everyone else's. To make an absolute statement that this or that is the best is grandstanding at the very least.

25. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    To say CDMA has better sound quality than GSM is rubbish. They are both more or less the same. And the problem you describe can be anything from a faulty phone, to a poorly planned network. Both of which can happen in CDMA or GSM networks.

Oh, and the beep-beep-beep in GSM you hear is signaling. Usually when a text message is incoming or when you phone hands-over to another cell (which can happen without you moving, by the way, if the network decides to force you to camp on a differnt cell for capacity reasons)

26. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

I agree with your statement on the phone and how it's subjective with different factors involved.

As for your statement on his signature, now think about this for a second.

He has "No Service with his Verizon phone" so he use's his fathers Cingular phone to make calls.

(Not trying to offend any Verizon people here, it's just this posters statement & signature that made me laugh.)

27. hf1khal

hf1khal Who am I to judge

My Phone:
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    Nice catch, I can not believe that I missed that.;)

28. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Lol, I got a laugh outt'a this guys post and signature as well, first he points out that his VZW wireless phone didn't have serivce, then in his sig. he say's how Verizon's coverage is the best in the world. No carrier has the best coverage, it is simply impossible. Anyways his statement was very contradicting.

29. hf1khal

hf1khal Who am I to judge

My Phone:
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    I am glad Telekom got the whole thing quoted as it sure will be there in case if there is an edit.

30. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I agree, if a carrier had full coverage everywhere you went here in the US, it would be awsome & they would have the most customers, and there would never be this type of statement needed. (now maybe in so many hears in the future it will be a different story, but till that time comes no carrier is 100%)

Good point, I am sure the poster will look at this & think about an edit.