Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Soon to be released smartphones

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by litigator201, Aug 12, 2008.

1. litigator201

litigator201 New Member

My Phone:
    Treo 750
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Does anyone know of soon to be released smartphones on the Verizon network? I am looking to change our firm from AT&T to Verizon but, the current available smartphone devices are not the latest and greatest so, I need to know what smartphones may be coming out in the next 60 days or so.

2. Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton 10 years scandal free....

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    AT&T is a better chioce for smartphone users than Verizon. With AT&T as you probably know, you can use any unlocked GSM smartphone (providing it has the 850MHz and 1900MHz bands which most do).

The phones Verizon gets are usually out in a GSM version before the CDMA version is released, and Verizon has a habit of crippling phones with their UI. Most carriers do add bloatwear to smartphones, but I Verizon is known to lock down their dumb phones so I wouldn't be surprised to see an excess of carrier loaded junk on their smartphones. I would not recommend Verizon if you want the best smartphones available.

Sprint is worth looking at, I have been content with my smartphone experience with Sprint. but as a CDMA carrier they don't have the wide selection of phones that you get with a GSM carrier.

3. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 25 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    You have some incorrect information in your post. Any Verizon smartphone with Windows Mobile is not littered with the Verizon UI. They add some of their icons, but nothing else. And as far as being crippled, where'd you get that information from? I've never had a crippled smartphone from them. I've been able to use OBEX just fine. Excessive crippling is a thing of the past.

Verizon has gotten a lot less restrictive with Bluetooth than they have been before. Also, ALL of the carriers now "slightly" cripple their phones. I've had several phones (and smartphones) from AT&T and T-Mobile with some options inhibited.

It's obvious you're not a fan of Verizon, and that's your prerogative, but careful about inaccurate information and opinions. Not everyone has problems with their service.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ansky

ansky Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I bought a Verizon Palm Centro about 2 months ago. It certainly is not crippled with the Verizon UI. The only thing that says Verizon is the splash screen when you first turn the phone on or off. Otherwise the Centro uses the normal Palm OS and there is no "bloated" Verizon software preinstalled.

5. Bill Clinton

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    I was careful not to say that Verizon ruins their smartphones with their frustrating UI. My statement was more of a general opinion that Verizon is typically more restrictive than other carriers, and they certainly can't compete with a GSM carrier in the smartphone department, so I thought Verizon would not be the best choice for the OP. I'm sorry that you took it the wrong way.

Verizon has been known to disable features on smartphones. Crippled Bluetooth, disable GPS, among other things. I am glad to hear they have loosened up a bit.

So I am pleased to hear Verizon is not insisting on installing their rubbish on their smartphone lineup. It is true that I am not a fan of Verizon, or their practices, or that they charge too much, but I was careful to make my post of accurate as possible.

I still think that for the OP's needs, a GSM carrier, probably AT&T because they have much more 3G coverage, would be the right choice. The OP probably be happier buying the latest and greatest unlocked GSM smartphone, instead of choosing from Verizon's limited offerings. Not to mention that worldwide GSM is MUCH more widely used then CDMA, so when a manufacturer is making a new phone, the GSM market is usually targeted first.

6. litigator201

litigator201 New Member

My Phone:
    Treo 750
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thanks for all of the replies. We currently are an AT&T customer but am frustreated with its local business rep and its regional business rep. Also, can not get any information on new smartphones as they keep trying to shove us to the current outdated models of Tilt and, of course, the iPhone which I tried for 2 weeks and returned because it is IMO not for a busy professional user (the lack of a "real keypad" was the main issue along with some other business app issues). Verizon is being very aggressive with its pricing but the lack of new devices or info on new release dates is also frustrating. For buisiness users, the companies should be able to tell us what is in the mix for the future -- 60-90 days out. I don;t want to buy 75 devices today only to findout that the latest and greatest is introduced 30-60 days from now. Thoughts??

7. Bill Clinton

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    Well it's too bad that AT&T isn't working out for you. If you are buying 60 phones, purchasing a bunch of unlocked phones would be much more expensive than the subsidized offerings from AT&T.

I don't know if Verizon has anything in the works, you could stay with AT&T until Verizon gets a phone that you are excited about. Sprint might be worth a look if they are in your area. They have been getting consistently getting new smartphones before Verizon. It might be worth checking their offerings, and I do know of some upcoming smartphones for Sprint. If you are lucky Verizon will get the same phones, but it might be after Sprint.

8. litigator201

litigator201 New Member

My Phone:
    Treo 750
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I've met with Sprint. Problem is that Sprint lost 901,000 subscribers last quarter, has sold all of its towers and leasing them back and is rumored to be for sale or headed towards bankruptcy. It appears that the only two long-term nationwide carriers will be AT&T and Verizon!

9. Bill Clinton

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    I don't think that AT&T and Verizon will be the only long-term nationwide carriers. It is unlikely that Sprint will go anywhere. It is very true that they have been struggling recently, but a company that still has 52 million customers isn't going to disappear like Amped mobile did. T-Mobile is nationwide carrier, but they are really not targeting business users.

If you really want to switch to Verizon, they should have a couple new smartphones by the end of the year.

10. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    Usually people who have inferior cell phone service lurk in other carrier groups to try to persuade others to share their misery.

11. Bill Clinton

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    Yes I am miserable with Sprint. For $30/month + tax I have 500 minutes, unlimited data, unlimited text, unlimited nights and weekends starting at 7, and free roaming. I got an Airave for free, so coverage at my house is perfect, and calls from home don't count against my minutes because the rep gave me unlimited calls with the Airave for free.

The OP was concerned about Verizon's smartphone offerings, and I felt that the OP would be better off staying with AT&T. I will gladly respect if you have a different opinion, and so would the OP since nobody really answered his question.

litigator - http://www.intomobile.com/2008/08/0...touch-pro-details-for-sprint-and-verizon.html
    The CDMA Touch Pro is reported to be released on Sprint September 2nd, probably a month after for Verizon. The other HTC device should be out in early October, and then I would guess a month after for Verizon. Verizon should get the Treo 800W in mid September.

#11 Bill Clinton, Aug 15, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  12. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I think the big phones coming to Verizon will be the HTC Touch Diamond and HTC Touch Raphael. Primary difference is that the Raphael has a sliding keyboard.

Rumors are that Sprint will get them in September and October respectively, with Verizon following 30 days later. The rumors also suggest that the Verizon models will be spec'ed lower than the Sprint models, but that is based on leaked Sprint documentation, so you may want to wait for more reliable sources before deciding.

More details on HTC's Touch Diamond / Touch Pro for Verizon and Sprint - Engadget

Edit: I hadn't reloaded the page in while, so I didn't see the president's edit.

13. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Also keep in mind coverage issues between the carriers. AT&T has 850 MHz license for much Louisiana, but Verizon won't until it completes its acquisition of Alltel. I'm sure all the carriers have 1900 MHz coverage in your area, but it may not be as good for in-building or rural coverage.

14. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    That's a pretty good paperweight.

15. Bill Clinton

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    Hmmm I'm not sure what you mean. Sorry if I confused you, I was being sarcastic about not unhappy with Sprint. I'm not quite sure how we got to this, I suggested that for what the OP wanted, he could do better than Verizon.

16. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Why would you suggest SERO for the OP when that is no longer available and he's looking for a fairly large number of accounts?

17. Bill Clinton

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    I didn't. I suggested AT&T, and maybe look at Sprint. The OP is a business user, and with a large number of phones they would get a rate from whatever carrier they chose.

The mention of my plan came from macsesso thinking I had inferior service and I wanted others to join my misery. I was just mentioning what my plan is so others can make up their mind if that is miserable or not. :)

18. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    Paperweight phones, like yours, are those with lots of bells and whistles that are used on carriers that generally are unable to make or continue calls when you need them. Believe me I am not the one confused.You must have wanted to post in the group dedicated to your carrier but posted in the Verizon group by mistake.

19. Bill Clinton

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    Ok even though you are still incorrect, I will gladly call it a draw so there is no longer a need for you to clutter the thread. I tested carriers and found the one that works best for me, you did the same, and it excellent that we are both pleased with our choices. I provided and answer and some suggestions for the OP while you did nothing useful. I hope the OP will find out that the forum is a great place and the childish behavior is uncommon here.

20. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    Being a Sprint user how is it that you are so helpful to Verizon users?

21. Bill Clinton

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    Let's see, I actually answered the OP's question. I also said that Verizon might not be the best choice for him which is probably what got you so upset.

22. litigator201

litigator201 New Member

My Phone:
    Treo 750
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    As the OP (I guess) and a new member to this forum, I did not mean to incite emotions or bickering between already established members. I am soon wrapping up my testing of the various carriers and have not made a firm decision yet. We have found plusses and minusses with all carriers. My main point or starting this thread was to determine if anyone had any insight on soon to be released Verizon phones. Our reps are telling us that they are sworn to secrecy and I knew that leaked information had to be available so, I tried here to find out. Again, it was not my intent to cause any hard feelings between forum members or to start any comparison of carriers as it is not my understanding that this is the correct forum to do that.

Thanks to all for the helpful information and if anyone has any new information on soon to be released cell phones on the Verizon network (official or unoffcial) would be deeply appreciated.

23. Bill Clinton

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    The bickering was caused by a member who felt the need to flame, not by anything from your posts.

In case you missed my earlier post because of the other nonsense, here is the link again for the information I found about upcoming Verizon devices.
    HTC Touch Diamond and Touch Pro details for Sprint and Verizon

spleck had the following link for you More details on HTC's Touch Diamond / Touch Pro for Verizon and Sprint - Engadget

So in addition to those phones there should be somethins similar to Sprint's Treo 800w, and I saw some rumors of a touch screen BlackBerry called the Thunder that was supposed to be making its way to Verizon. Hope that helps and good luck.

24. litigator201

litigator201 New Member

My Phone:
    Treo 750
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thanks Bill Clinton. Your posts have been very polite and helpful.

25. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    It's not a matter of you or me being right or wrong. Of course you said Verizon might not be the best for the OP and I agree. Now let me see you offer technical help for someone with a Verizon problem. I certainly would not troll in the Sprint section because I know little about Sprint except that when I was a customer it did not work in many places.
    When you get the point of my objections to you to I'll let you know.

26. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I certainly would not call someone offering help on a provider they are not with, trolling. Many of us know and do offer advice for providers that we are not with.

It is unfortunate that a newbie was subjected to bickering between two established members, it is further unfortunate that the bickering continues after the OP politely and firmly made their position perfectly clear.

I believe the OP's initial question has been answered and from now on please post only if you have new information for the OP.

Thank you

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    1 person likes this.
  27. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

ohhhh will you all just stop......this isn't going anywhere......you're sitting at keyboards and no on can win so just don't bother.......or maybe you could meet up and talk about it sometime.

anyway......also keep in mind that the Blackberry Bold will be released before years end to all the carriers........that looks very very attractive and there are some things that actually are better than the iPhone

28. VZW-LOVER

VZW-LOVER Senior Member

This must be the day for trolls.

I left Sprint because CS sucked. The Zero plan is causing Sprint gross margin problems an all the dead beat credit customers they took on. End results their hurting for cash really bad.

AT&T has poor network service with plenty od dropped calls.

Maybe you should find other forums to troll in........I would think you would be happier in the iphone forum or on HOFO.

29. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    Please have respect for the OP and existing members. Carrier bashing is to cliche and immature. All of us seasoned Techies know all to well that not every carrier works everywhere.
    Where I live there is two choice 1. Alltel and 2. AT&T. Verizon coverage is spotty and limited to main highways.

To the OP: Use what works for you. Take in account Price, Handset, features, Network reliablity, Coverage.

Verizon used to really cripple their phones, but I heard they have been loosening up.
    The HTC models are real easy to customize to your needs, Verizon is also getting the new Blackberry Thunder but that is a touchscreen only. I have played with the HTC Touch pro duo but for a GSM carrier. Its a Cool phone but the Tilt blows it out of the water. The Touch Pro has an angled back so when you set in on a desk to type its not stable. The UI is WM6.1 but it used the Diamond GUI and its alittle sluggish and I wasnt impressed with the sensativity of the screen.

Remember smart phones arent cheap, so also look at what the others on the account will do with their phones, for example I wouldnt give a fork lift operator a $400 phone.

For AT&T the Tilt is a really good phone and easily customizable to whatever you need, I have one and out of the box I didnt like it but after I put what I wanted on it I firmly believe its the best thing out there. AT&T also has the new Blackberry Bold comming out.

You really cant go wrong with Blackberries. A Blackberry on Verizons network is a pretty safe investment IMO.

Good Luck

30. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    from what I've seen the slower the data the more frustrating a Blackberry can be so it kinda rules out T-Mobile. I've seen quite a few T-Mobile blackberries go wrong simply because it relies on an attachment to separate servers......thats also why Sidekicks can be so irritating sometimes too...

I've seen AT&T and Sprint and Verizon all do Blackberries really well though