Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sony Ericsson w580i?

Discussion in 'All Other Brands of Wireless Phones' started by lilprincess2, Oct 17, 2007.

1. lilprincess2

lilprincess2 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    ~*~iPhone 3g~*~BB 8900~*~
    Hey all, wow this SE part of the forum is dead! Guess not to many people have this brand of phones. lol Anyway, does anyone here have the SE w580i's?

2. Heavy Fluid

Heavy Fluid Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry 9630
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I don't have one, but almost bought one. I would advise against it, as there seems to be a problem with the keyboard cracking under mild to moderate use, some even with hardly any use.

Is it the slider part or the walkman part that is drawing you to it? If it is the walkman, check out the W610i or W810i. Not sure what other sliders SE has.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I am actually a big fan of SE , I ran over my W810i with my car but unfortunately the problem with AT&T is their selection of SE's phones(only one) and the W810i was discontinued which was my best phone, great RF and call quality and texting was a snap compared to my back up phone. I have a friend who is getting the w580i on Friday so hopefully she will submit a review and how she likes it.:)

4. lilprincess2

My Phone:
    I actually have the w580i and actually like it alot. I'm actually shocked that i like it too. lol. . I've had it for a few days now and it's pretty good. No cracked keys (knocks on wood) so far and i'm hoping i won't have that problem. Sometimes though, one bad apple ruins the bunch so sometimes in life no matter what people so you gotta experience things for yourself and so i took the chance and tried the phone. Before i bought it though i talked to a couple of people who had it and they don't have cracked keys or has'nt had the problem and i actually looked at their phones myself to see if the keys were cracked. The walkman part of the phone has no interest to me it's the slider form of it that got my attention. I just wanted something different other than a flip style and the white/grey and orange of the w580i tickled my fancy. :) So, since no one else did a review on it im gonna give it a shot and give my input on it. :)

Looks wise it has a nice white/grey color to it and when you slide it open it has an orange key pad and orange backing with the slide open on the backside of it. The slider is not loose at all and you definetly don't need to open the slide to answer not to mention you can dial out and close the slide and still be on a call without getting disconnected. You can set different ring colors to it so when the phone rings it has specific lighting profiles. Signal wise it's on par with my razr and i have'nt had a dropped call at all, earpiece volume is definetly louder than the razr and i actually had to lower it cause on its highest volume it was blowing my ear drum lol. People can hear me just fine as well, loud and clear with no problems. The screen is bright and clear and it has a 2.0 mega pixel camera. I don't know about the walkman part of it though because i have not set up any music on it but i've read that it does have some kind of "shake" feature that when you shake it you can change songs. Battery life is still being questioned though, since i have not had an opportunity to properly charge my battery because i need the phone for work. Hopefully i'll charge it for atleast 12 straight hours this weekend and go from there. The things i do miss with this phone though is that it does not have reminder tones. It gives you one alert tone when you first get a message and that's it, no missed call reminder or unread text or voicemail reminders. I also miss that it does'nt have a service tone or a drop call tone, it does however have a call timer so that's good. :) You can't set the backlight time and when on a call the backlight stays on until you hang up which i find odd lol. I guess i am soooo used to having all those other features on motorola's lol. But all in all it's a good phone in my opinion and i like it and am happy with it so far! Hopefully things won't change and this phone will serve me well for a good while. :) So there you go, that is my Sony Ericsson w580i review! I'm sure i missed something in my review but of course if i did someone will let me know. hehe :) And if i can be of any help to someone about this phone please let me know. :)

5. lilprincess2

My Phone:
    I forgot to mention in my above post that it is a quad band phone and as for size, it's just a tad bit and i mean tad bit longer than the razr, narrower and the thickness is the same with the flip on the razr closed, also both the razr and the 580i weights the same. :)

6. josephd

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Thanks for the review lilprincess2 I am actually considering this phone for my upgrade.:)

7. hme83

hme83 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia E7, E70-2 & 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    Maybe you should slow down a bit, Joe. :p ;)

Mine is not arriving until Monday, now. I guess that's the price of only paying a penny. :biggrin:

I'm glad to hear that you like it so far. :) I'm primarily interested in it for the mp3 player/pedometer combination, and I decided I was just going to have to try it out for myself too. At first I did think the keys felt somewhat flimsy in Radio Shack the other night; however, after comparing it to ALL the other phones they had on display, I decided they didn't really seem any worse than any of the others (except for one Nokia) - so I decided to go for it. And I liked the slide better than I expected to as it doesn't actually extend very far. I'll let you know what I think next week. I'm hoping it will solve some of the things I don't like about my current mp3/ped combo, and allow me to stick a phone in there too. :cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. josephd

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I am not rushing out and buying anything yet.....:D I would like to wait and see what else comes down the road that has 3G.

9. hme83

My Phone:
    Nokia E7, E70-2 & 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    I've had mine for a couple of days now - there is a lot that is really great about it (as lilprincess indicates), so I'll just mention what I've found that I don't care for.

1) If you want to be able to easily switch SIMs, I think it would be difficult to do very much of it w/o running the risk of breaking something. The battery cover is almost impossible to get on and off (it does require a finger nail to provide some separation to remove the cover - I think due to the upwards slope of it and the fact you've got a slider on the other side - no leverage :p ). I have just as much trouble getting the cover back on - it slides, but is difficult to get the alignment perfect so that all the prongs catch correctly. The SIM location is bad - it slides all the way into a socket behind the battery - it's hard to get it in far enough that it "clicks" and stays. Then when you release the SIM, it pops out only slightly. Gold contacts are face up and out, so maybe a pencil eraser is the answer, but it's hard to get the SIM out without touching the gold contacts. :( If you just want to put the SIM in and leave it, then all that shouldn't be a big issue.

2) Memory card cover hinge seems flimsy to me (?). Here again though - if you buy a large enough card, put it in and leave it/use the USB to move things around, that shouldn't be a problem.

3) I used the phone all day yesterday for e-mail, etc. While the T9 worked very well and was intuitive to use, the phone is a little top heavy with the slide open - which in conjunction with the small keypad toward the bottom made it somewhat awkward for me to use for messaging.

4) I've noticed the lights don't always shut completely off after I've closed the phone. Several times now, I've looked over at it 5 minutes later and some of it's lights (center button and selection buttons) are still on. Immediately when I press a key they turn off. Maybe I just haven't found a setting that needs to be changed - but that could be a problem for someone who doesn't constantly keep their phone in view.

I haven't had an opportunity to use it for my intended purpose so far - the walkman/pedometer functions - hopefully I'll get a chance with the upcoming weekend. Overall, it seems to be a very nice phone - lots of features, very nice display, and with the MegaBass turned on, good sound quality - to the music. Haven't tried it as a phone yet. LOL!!! The above could be drawbacks for some, but non-issues for many. :)

10. josephd

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Thank-you for the review hme.:)

11. hme83

My Phone:
    Nokia E7, E70-2 & 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    You're welcome. :)

12. lilprincess2

My Phone:
    I see you decided to give it a go too hme. :) I like my little slider and though it's not a motorola with the kind of settings i am used to i'm getting used to being without them. As for the battery cover it's not a real big issue for me in taking it off cause i guess i have smaller hands so it makes it easier for me. I just put my thumbs on each side of the cover and slide it down without having to use my fingernail or anything to pry it open. Also, as for the light issue you were talking about, i don't have that problem. After i am finished with a call the light goes from being bright to dimming when the locking screen comes on and then goes completely off. I'm not quite sure why your light stays on. Anyway, enjoy your new phone!:)

Oops, i forgot to mention that the sim card does'nt lock in, it goes in half way and then when you put your battery in it slides the sim the rest of the way in as if it has a little spring or something. When you take out your battery it slides back out and you can slide it out from there.

13. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    I've got the W810i and it's a tank. I dropped it down some concrete stairs last week and it didn't miss a beat. Plus it's quad-band and has great reception, so it suits my needs just right (a little bigger screen would have been nice tho) The W810i has been their "flagship" model in Europe the last year or so.

I'm not sure why SonyEricsson isn't bigger in the US :confused: In Europe and Japan SonyEricsson (or previously just "Ericsson") has always been in the top 3. In the US I think they are 4th or 5th.

14. scotsboyuk

scotsboyuk Senior Member

My Phone:
    N95
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Orange, T-Mobile
    The W810 was released in Europe last year, but it wasn't their flagship model (or at least it hasn't been for a while). The K800 was last year's non-smartphone flagship and the current non-smartphone flagship is the K850. The W810 was perhaps their flagship Walkman handset for a while, but the W900 was released last year too, which was a superior handset in terms of features although perhaps it wasn't regarded as the flagship Walkman. There was also the W850 although it is debatable whether or not that was regarded as the flagship Walkman. The W880 has been the top Walkman up until recently when the W910 was released. The W960 will be the premier Walkman when it's released at the end of the year.

Having said all that, the W810 is a great wee phone from what I hear! :)

A lack of 3G networks and limited coverage of those that are available has probably served to keep most of SE's 3G handsets away from the U.S. and since 3G handsets make up a large part of SE's portfolio this won't have helped SE's American presence. Added to that is the fact that SE make relatively few clamshell handsets which seem rather popular in the States. Then there is the issue of SE not making CDMA handsets for any market except Japan, which will affect their market position in America given that CDMA accounts for a large chunk of the American market.

15. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    SE doesn't make CDMA phones in NA? Ok, then that cuts their presence in half. Adding like you said only a few clamshell phones, then it's no wonder they aren't in the top 3 in the US market.

16. maa1775

maa1775 New Member

My Phone:
    TM 506
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T Mobile
    The only problem I have with mine is signal. Compared to the razor, trying to get a signal in a marginal coverage area can be trying. It dosen't affect the calling capability, but to send a picture text, takes awhile. It times itself out and I have to move it to another part of the house. Never had to do that with a razor. Other than that, the phone is great!