Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Some 3G clarification

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by IdiOTeQnoLogY, Mar 25, 2002.

1. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

Been browsin posts and seeing some regarding 3g and 2.5G technology. What Sprint & Verizon are doing with upgrade to 1xrtt networks this year (that they are callin 3g) & all the GSM providers are offerin up with GPRS is really ALL 2.5G . TRUE 3G networks will be about 2mb/sec data transfer optimally. they are all callin them 3g cause it sounds better. while i think that at peak output the 1xrtt networks will pump at 144kb/sec and this is technically in the low end of the official range of 3G transfer rates; it is essentially 2.5g technology on the migration to true 3g service. Since Sprint and Verizon are already using CDMA and are upgrading to CDMA2000 or 3G(the first phase being 1xrtt or 2.5G) they are saving BIG money since the technology is based totally on CDMA and is the natural evolutionary step to hit 3g. Larry was right in his earlier post that Sprint is upgrading a lot cheaper than Verizon since Verizon does use a lot of different technology switches and legacy networks within its system. Upgrading is made up a lot from software updates not really hardware updates (from what i have read that is I am no scientist just did a lot of reading) especially for Sprint since their system is uniform all around, whereas Verizon has lots more work to do combining all its various networks. AT&T has a lot of work to do buildin up a GSM network to GPRS and then to EDGE. Most of the rest of the world uses GSM so they are all having a blast (smirk, read up on how its going overseas to get to 3G) going the same route to 3G via GSM to GPRS to WCDMA, the world standard of true 3G being called WDMA. But WCDMA uses all new spectrum so all these carriers had to buy up licenses for it. In the US this spectrum (a lot of it) is used by the military and so far they dont want to give it up but there are talks regarding this; whereas cdma2000 uses existing spectrum more efficiently and so in the US is the best for the current situation with spectrum. Sprint will be the first carrier with 2.5G up nationwide, being a sprint user i hope it all goes smoothly and that demand is there for their product and they start makin money (pricing will be per amount of DATA not minutes used). For all you CDMA users who are jealous of GSM users who can use their phone all over the world, dont fret...browse the web and do some reading like i did (even though i dont have the money to travel right now lol) within a year (most likely but maybe sooner or later) dual mode CDMA/GSM phones will be coming out. Problem solved. Your phone will work overseas as well. however Korea and japan both have cdma networks as well so u never know what will work where.. If my explanations were worded poorly I apologize I am not an expert in this field just did a lot of reading on lots of different sites (for comparitive purposes so as not to get only 1 sided opinions) and now in a very tired state have tried to give it to you in a condensed form. Visit http://www.choey.com/w/index.htm and look at his links to visit tons of sites with info on 3g technology and how it works.

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Id:

ATT has been very open and honest in its news releases that its current upgrades are only 2.5G. Other than that, I enjoyed your article.

Take care,
    Kev

3. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

I like the article, but I beleive Voicestream will be closer to 3 G than Verizon, and definately AT&T. You were right about AT&T, they have a long way to go. I put on a post somewhere on here a long time ago, that AT&T would have problems converting to GSM. They really have a long ways to go on their TDMA 800. I heard that they might leave the 800 MHz markets the way that they are. Voicestream's data transfer is currently 56k. They already charge per MB of information, except for the 'Data' plans and 'Data & Voice' plans that they already have made. Check out their website. Just go into Products and Services.