Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

So has Sprint decided to stop adding towers?

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by ace41690, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    I guess they are doing to to limit the amount of people who buy a sprint SERO or equivilent cheap plan, and actually live in a non-sprint area.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Where's your source on that? I believe it is higher than that.

3. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    Well I've been hearing this across the forum for some time,
    and it all sounds about right to me, unless they pay higher than everyone else.

I do believe it's 2 cents a minute, or pretty close to that...What do you think it is?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    I would think it be a little more. According to the Yahoo summary of iPCS, the Sprint/iPCS reciprocal roaming rate is 4 cents/min. It seems logical that Sprint would be on less friendly terms with Verizon.

"New reciprocal roaming rates with Sprint for voice and 2G data were set through 2010. The per-minute rate will be $0.0400 per minute for 2008 (retroactive to January 1, 2008) and 2009 and $0.0380 per minute for 2010. The per-minute voice and 2G data rate for 2007 was not changed."

5. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    I can see points to both sides on Sprint's coverage. Since I now live in a larger city, Sprint coverage has been very solid. I've even noticed a number of areas where it out-performs other carriers. But, I also know that I roam a lot on alltel's old network when I leave the interstate areas where I have a lot of family. I don't think I'd ever have to worry about violating the TOS, but it is a little bothersome because texts are delayed and data seems a little slower when I roam.

But you have to think about it from Sprint's perspective also. Sprint's not in great financial shape to spend a minimum of 100K to build or 2K/month to rent per tower all over the nation. It seems best that Sprint just has to focus on not losing customers, gaining customers in urban areas, and trying to get the company in the green. They need to keep the company out of bankruptcy so they can live to compete another day in the less populated areas they don't yet cover. Until then, the roaming agreements should cover them.

6. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I tend to agree. Verizon could charge them 5 cents a minute for roaming for all we know. It could also depend on who the roaming partner is and could vary by region as well.

7. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    It looks like Sprint is beginning to build sites again! Check their coverage viewer. It seems like some regions have FINALLY been updated to show new recent/and FUTURE towers. None where I am, though :-(

1 person likes this.