Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

So has Sprint decided to stop adding towers?

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by ace41690, Mar 28, 2009.

1. ace41690

ace41690 Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Hero
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Soooo Sprint hasnt added a cell site in CT in like forever. There coverage is pretty good but lately im noticing they're falling behind other carriers. Even T-Mobile is starting to have a wider coverage area! There are towers all over the place with empty spaces on them in areas that are very weak/no service for sprint! I can think of 5 such locations off the top of my head. Its not like they have to build a whole tower, just add the panels! They have a 1900mhz network and verizon's 800mhz towers are closer together than sprints! Come on Sprint! what the hell

2. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    It's all about the ROI, less customers means longer for a site to be profitable. Longer to be profitable means less chance of the site being built.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    Don't expect anything new for quite a while

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. glynngulling

glynngulling New Member

My Phone:
    motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    uscellular
    im a nextel custumer and they have poor service here in red oak ia 51566 they have one stinkentower and no sprint tower unless they are adding more here i don't know

5. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    They have cut back but they are still building some new ones here in my market. During 2004-2007 they built thousands of new sites until they ran out of money and started losing customers. What's the point in building a whole bunch of new sites when they are still losing customers? They certainly don't need any additional capacity and most major markets are already in good shape coverage wise.

6. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    I would like a real tower near me, please. I dislike my repeater. ;)

7. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    To keep from losing even more customers from those markets that do need an improvement?

8. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Agreed. A new tower can never hurt.

9. stormchaser2009

stormchaser2009 New Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Bold 9930
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I wish they would hurry up and build out from major cities and fill dead spots for the 1900MHz band and get that 3G netowrk expanded and that way they might be able to stop losing customers.

10. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Coverage is not why they are losing customers and failing to throw up some additional new towers in less populated areas is not going to make or break Sprint. Adding thousands of new towers (via synergy sites) with greatly improved coverage after the merger (2005-2008) did not help with customer loss and things only got worse. Today's customers switch carrier's for mainly other reasons besides coverage. Remember that Sprint led the industry in new subscribers for 14 consecutive quarters from 1998 to 2002 with MUCH less coverage and a MUCH less reliable network. Because they had all of the best handsets and lower pricing than the other carriers. Also a great marketing campaign back then with the Sprint guy. Those things were the key.

All carriers have their weak spots and need improvement in some places or others. Things vary by market and even from person to person in the same markets.

#10 larry, Mar 30, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  11. ace41690

ace41690 Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Hero
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    All I know is where I work now there is one bar inside the building and my battery dies in like 5 hours. I can see a tower from my building with ATT and Tmobile on it (There is no reason sprint couldnt join, its a fairly highly populated area!), verizon has a tower farther away but with 800mhz. Guess what, every major carrier works in my building EXCEPT SPRINT! gahh. Well sprink *kindof* works, BUT my battery dies so quickly!

12. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    I'm with Larry on this one - I don't think Sprint is losing anyone over massive coverage issues. They have such extensive roaming agreements that you are likely to have service if there is a CDMA tower in the area (at least that's the case here in VA ;) )Sure, there are some spots here and there that need to be filled in every town. Every carrier has that issue. IMO Sprint has lost so many customers because of screwed up billing systems, horrible cs and all of the problems that arose from the merger and led to the exodus from the iDen side of the company.

As for the 3G issue that someone mentioned - While Sprint has a long way to go on building out 3G for their entire network, I'd say they are way ahead of AT&T & T-Mobile and are right up there on expansion with Verizon/Former Alltel.

13. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    Watch Sprint aggressively boot you when you roam too much. :browani:

People are roaming too much because of Sprint's poor overall rural coverage, doesn't Sprint know that?.
    Why is it the customer's fault for poor Sprint coverage where they live? :rolleyes:

Even if "roam only" is your only option, they still won't care,
    and they're the only ones who are so restrictive about this.
    They should lift this restriction if they want to retain more customers.

The way I use my phone (10,000 or more mins/month),
    Sprint would actually benefit more if they co-lo'ed on the AT&T tower here near Thicketty, SC.
    Rather than having to pay Verizon for 10,000 roaming minutes for just 1 customer (as an example ;)).

14. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    I know a lot of people on Sprint. I've never heard of anyone getting the boot for excessive roaming. It sounds like they haven't even enforced the rule on you (if it's true that you're roaming 10,000+ a month on vzw).

You're right, it isn't the customer's fault for poor Sprint coverage. The customer & sales person probably should have determined that it wouldn't be best for them before they signed up for service. If someone roams more than half the time, clearly they shouldn't be on Sprint. So they should switch.

Why should they lift the restriction? To retain more customers? Customers that cost them a ton of money? Besides, they don't even enforce the rule, and once again, I don't know a single person who left Sprint or got booted because of the roaming rule.

15. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Someone started a thread on another forum about getting the boot for excessive roaming. It might be that Sprint has finally decided to enforce the rule.

With that said, I totally agree with you in that anyone roaming that much has no business being with Sprint, and therefore I fail to see the harm in cutting them loose.

16. ace41690

ace41690 Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Hero
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    My phone isnt even allowed to force roam anymore! So guess what, if i have one, useless bar of sprint coverage, IM STUCK WITH IT! This is too often the case inside many larger buildings where there will be five bars of roaming and 1 useless bar of sprint (sometimes 1 bar works). Roaming was all that worked reliably in my house before, If they hadnt given me the airave for free, I would've jumped ship to verizon by now.

17. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    You make this sound like it's some big major problem at Sprint. :rolleyes: It's not. It's a mistake to use your own experiences and the situation in your rural area and then try to apply it to Sprint in general. Also only a very small minority of customers will ever roam more than 50% of the time and most Sprint customers have good coverage where they live. Those customers shouldn't be customers anyway. 80% of Sprint's customers are in the big cities where coverage is just fine and I would bet that a large percentage of customers probably never roam. I never have reason to roam but maybe 20 minutes in an entire year. Believe it or not I represent the majority of customers.

18. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yeah and just maybe that person was a chronic abuser of the system and roamed almost 100% of the time. Still there are very few cases where Sprint will enforce the rule.

It sure would be nice if Sprint would just eliminate the clause so we don't always have to hear this brought up by all the naysayers. ;)

19. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    It really does stink that Sprint is getting rid of the roaming only option on all new phones. Good thing my touch pro can be hacked into giving it back. Heck, I'm on roam only right now!

20. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Well I remember when my cousin moved here from Las Vegas last year,
    and was dissappointed with the sprint signal (it's just 3 miles from I-85).

I told her to put her phone on roam only, which put it on Alltel,
    and to use more than 800 minutes a month for the next 3 months,
    surely after 3 months, Sprint wanted to let go just her line
    (and this was a family plan with 3 lines).

I had her tell them that Sprint should let them "all stay" or "all go"
    and that getting rid of the one line was Sprint getting the advantage over the customer, a catch 22.
    After settling it with Sprint, They all got to leave without ETF and switched to VZW.

21. ace41690

ace41690 Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Hero
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Hell my house is barely half a mile from the highway and there is a horrible sprint signal! They are pretty good most everywhere else. But Verizon is way better now since they switched to 800mhz in this market.

22. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    And Sprint is overall better in the bigger cities,
    last month, I spent 2 weeks in NJ & 2 weeks in Upstate NY, and I force roamed on Sprint and Verizon about equally,
    about 4,500 to 5,000 minutes each on Verizon and on Sprint.
    Sprint was great everywhere I went on that trip, except NY Penn Station underground.

I like to keep it even, so I get to experience all networks as much, and I do field testing with the signals of all carriers.
    If I ever had a stronger signal on one, I'd keep it on that one only, unless I'm doing field tests.
    My phone lets me choose "cell only" or "PCS only."

23. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    You seem to be harping on the fact that Sprint is so terrible in rural areas, as if that is their downfall. If that is true, then people living in rural areas should avoid Sprint. Distance from an interstate is really irrelevant to the discussion here. Any carrier could have a lousy signal in a specific area. AT&T has almost no signal at my office. That doesn't mean AT&T is terrible in urban areas. I live smack dab in the middle of the third largest city in Arizona and my Sprint signal stinks at my house. Before I got an Airave there were times I would force roaming if I knew I had an important call to make. Otherwise I just dealt with it. I make about 80% of my phone calls away from my house anyway.

If your cousin was really roaming 800 minutes every month, it may very well have been cheaper for Sprint to lose three lines now than pay excessive roaming for that one line over the life of the contract.

24. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yeah, Penn station will do that to ya. Verizon has had this deal with the MTA since the analog days that they are the only ones with equipment set up there. There is no GSM coverage in the east river tunnels at all, only Verizon CDMA (and sprint via roaming). However, the Sprint signal manages to wander into Penn pretty well, even works in most places on the track level.

25. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yup Verizon worked all the way through the Lincoln tunnel,
    I wasn't suprised but I didn't check for Sprint.
    However, Verizon and Sprint don't cover through the tunnels inside the PATH train system.

But Sprint & Verizon did cover some NJ rural areas well,
    I went all the way down route 70 from Lakewood to Marlton,
    and there was usable coverage on Verizon the whole way through the pines.
    Sprint was ok in many places along the way as well.

26. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I am not sure about the CAR tunnels in NYC. I know for a fact about the east river tunnels though. I think sprint has a presence in the battery tunnel.
    Here is a really old post from 1995 about NYNEX(vzw) setting up service in the Lincoln Tunnel. http://www.thefreelibrary.com/NYNEX...ular+Service+in+Lincoln+Tunnel;...-a016657777

27. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Exactly. That's why we have choices so we can find the one that best fits our needs. It's not cost effective for any carrier now days to built out in rural areas because the limited customers in those areas are mostly traditional cellular users who probably wouldn't want to switch anyway and don't meet their demographics too well. Plus the cost to build out 1900 Mhz systems in those areas would be prohibitive. The only reason the other larger carrier's are there is because they bought out and accumulated old established mom and pop networks that were built 20 years ago.

Any area that Sprint doesn't currently cover is small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.

It is nice to see Sprint's remaining affiliates (iPCS and Shentel) continuing to make expansions in some rual areas though.

28. JasonWells

JasonWells Junior Member

My Phone:
    AT&T i phone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, VZW
    Wow- a lot of interesting discussion. I reside in southern MN, and drive in IA, SD, NE, KS and CO for work. In the last 1.5yrs I have used a SERO plan, and the native coverage is pretty darn good. In places of fringe areas or no native coverage, I have always been able to successfully roam using another carrier; 'roam only' feature is great From my experiences, Sprint has been great. :) In fact, in some rural areas, I have been able to make calls with a usable roaming signal where friends using VZW have had no signal. VZW is good, but so is Sprint. After learning for myself and showing others about the 'roam only' feature, great signal success is available. It's too bad users constantly using roam only get booted, but it's a cost saving meaure for the company.

Is Sprint doing away with the 'roam only' feature? Is it only on certain phones? It is a great feature, whether in a fringe area or a rough spot in an otherwise good coverage area.

29. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint has basically canned the ROAM ONLY option from all newer phones.

30. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    IMO, you should be allowed to roam as much as you want, up to your plan's rate value,

Do the math, if you have a $60 calling plan,
    and it costs sprint about 2 cents per minute for roaming,
    then Sprint would profit until you hit 3,000 minutes of roaming.

You should not be booted for only 800 minutes, that's only about $16 worth of roaming,
    and Sprint makes that back from people who'd roam on Sprint.

#30 KyleAndMelissa22, Apr 5, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2009